Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sky Sports Generation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

[
    CiaranC wrote: »
    The LOI being a prime example, lower leagues in England being another.

I go into xtravision to rent a movie, there are 2 on offer, 1 has a 5 star rating the other has dust on it with a thumbs down sticker, I should spend my hard earned money because it supports the shíté film producer, or I should rent the block buster, crank up the surround and enjoy my evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Boggles wrote: »
    [

I go into xtravision to rent a movie, there are 2 on offer, 1 has a 5 star rating the other has dust on it with a thumbs down sticker, I should spend my hard earned money because it supports the shíté film producer, or I should rent the block buster, crank up the surround and enjoy my evening?
    Thanks, youve proved my point perfectly. You equate watching a football match to renting a movie on DVD. Thats exactly what Im talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This thread to me seems a really easy way for some of the LOI fans to have a cheap dig imo

Having been born in in 86 i guess I'd be considered a 'SS generation' (whatever the hell that means). The fact is my first proper exposure to football was in the sky sports years - this is not my fault but it's how I've always known football to be. I love the fact that Sky Sports has brought more games. I can access news at any time of the day and find out what's going on in the footballing world. They brought Spanish football to my TV, and I love to watch that when I can.

I just hate people using broad statements though to basically put people down.

I also don't understand how any could object to someone wearing their teams shirt in a pub (or as I've read before on here) to any non-football related event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

wtf? What planet are you living on?

I meant a specific match, certainly in the EPL anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

:rolleyes:

You seem incapable of understanding that it has nothing to do with when you were born.

You seem incapable of understanding the retardedness of the "skysports generation" tag.

If it has nothing to do with when someone was born it has nothing to do with generations.

If it's about people's behaviour at grounds it has nothing to do with watching sky sports.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well your title and opening are kind of confusing Dub.

I did not give much taught to the thread title,we got talking about this on another thread and I taught the idea had legs for its own thread.
    But Liverpool have never won the Premier league?

And it wasn't just a name change, I'll admit a major part of it was re-Branding, and it was very successful in that,

But it was also the formation of a new body,and a 'break away' group from the football league.

It was not much more than a name change,its still the top flight in English football.

Do you no many Man Utd fans who say they only won the European Cup twice..?no they won it 3 times,again football did not start when Uefa changed the format of the European cup.Although this argument would hold more water as it was a much bigger change from the old knock out cup.

Thanks, youve proved my point perfectly. You equate watching a football match to renting a movie on DVD. Thats exactly what Im talking about.

No you missed the point completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

The 'Sky Sports Generation' refers to people who became interested in football primarily due to Television (in particular the likes of Sky Sports) marketing it as an entertainment product, and who are unaware of the traditions and norms of normal football fans. This thread is about those people and their antics.

Is that difficult to understand?

Surely everyone who becomes interested in football becomes interested from playing it as a kid? I'm 21, I was 4 when football the Premiership started. I'm a Man Utd fan, but I've rarely been to games in England (folks couldn't afford it when I was younger, and I can't afford it now). But I grew up going to Bray Wanderers and Ireland matches. I really dislike Sky Sports dramatic, overly-statistical, polished presentation of football, but I enjoy watching football on tv, just as I enjoy playing it and going to games. So where does that leave me?

To be honest, there are certain things everyone dislikes about football, but this thread is cringe worthy. It's the footballing equivalent of "I liked their early stuff", holier-than-thou music fans. The other thing I notice is that a lot of people here admonish fans who support EPL teams, yet have no where near as much dislike reserved for people who are fans of teams in La Liga or Serie A.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    This thread to me seems a really easy way for some of the LOI fans to have a cheap dig imo

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads, I gotta say I have no problem with lads who want to go and act in a light hearted way at games, be it waving bananas or going topless. Wouldn't be my choice to do it, but I'd much rather that than the imbeciles who allow their world revolve around football.
    At the Everton Villa game in December, I was in the kids section with my 5 year old and had the misfortune of a fella behind me shouting **** everytime Villa were near, calling Barry a wanker and the likes. Is that passion ? I'd call it idiocy.
    Whatever about Sky, it has made the game easier to watch, appreciate and enjoy for all. There was football pre 1992, but it was dying on it's feet and were it not for Sky, I would imagine the Soccer boards would be a lot less populated than it is today.

p_larkin99 wrote: »

I am probably having the biggest dig and I am by no means a LOI fan.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I did not give much taught to the thread title,we got talking about this on another thread and I taught the idea had legs for its own thread.

It was not much more than a name change,its still the top flight in English football.

Do you no many Man Utd fans who say they only won the European Cup twice..?no they won it 3 times,again football did not start when Uefa changed the format of the European cup.Although this argument would hold more water as it was a much bigger change from the old knock out cup.

There was a new trophy commissioned, it was a new body set up, it was a new League format, much more than a name change. I myself differentiate the European Cup and The Champions league, both have their own merits for placing greater emphasis on winning one over the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Tom65 wrote: »
    But I grew up going to Bray Wanderers and Ireland matches.

Get Sky to the Carlisle Grounds and the world is our oyster ;)

Nope your spot on. A name change was just about rebranding same as the new Europa League or whatever it is theyre going to call the UEFA cup.

The whole scouse have never won the PL is just being pedantic. Better just to question the last time you's won the league :P

There was a new trophy commissioned, it was a new body set up, it was a new League format, much more than a name change.

Means nothing football wise,the teams were the same,the players were the same,the refs were the same,the rules were the same.You played maybe 2/4 games less thats it football wise.

Don't fool yourself its still the top flight,don't believe the hype.

• Advertisement

I am probably having the biggest dig and I am by no means a LOI fan.

Yeah mate i know your Pool, that's why i said some

You can tell by the nature of some peoples posts and then you read, take the LOI for example

Get Sky to the Carlisle Grounds and the world is our oyster ;)

Richard Keys' expertly styled hair would never survive the visit :p

I'm very confused!! :confused:

Are we having a go at rednecks who attend english matches?

Sky Sports?

The Sky Sports Generation - 21 year olds?

The League of Ireland been shít?

Or reminding people who weren't born that Liverpool have actually won the league?

I just got a craving for a banana?

Sky Sports?

Or reminding people who weren't born that Liverpool have actually won the league?

Oh for a multiple thanks button:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sky Sports?

Cranky old men of different hues venting methinks.

• Advertisement

I think we should leave LOI talk out of this thread so as not to make it look like its another LOI V Premiership thread.

Irish lads who go to games in the premiership are entitled to there own divisions.

Irish lads who go to games in the premiership are entitled to there own divisions.

And to wear what they want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ba.jpg

I think we should leave LOI talk out of this thread so as not to make it look like its another LOI V Premiership thread.

Regardless of what we make it look like,I think if we scratch the surface a little we'll find...

Sky Sports?

I covered all those bases in my post, just to be sure.:pac:

Besides, I think we can all just agree that Setanta is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ok, so just to clarify:

If you stay at home and watch the match rather than travel to a different country to support your team in the EPL, you're not a real fan.

But if you travel to a different country, spend hundreds of euro to see your team play and try make the trip as enjoyable as possible, you're an arsehole, a tool and a wanker.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Besides, I think we can all just agree that Setanta is awful.

Alot of people wouldn't know, can't get a fúckíng signal. :D

Nothing to do with the LOI. Just go to England and ask a football fan what he thinks of people from London supporting Man Utd, corporates, sanitised, near silent mega-bowl stadiums, daytrippers coming in once a year from Japan for the spectacle; people whos only point of reference to football is through Sky Sports who think they are football fans and they will tell you the same thing as any LOI fan on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was an LOI fan for a number of years. I am now a Blackburn Rovers fan. I didn't jump out of one and straight into the other. Even going back pre the Premiership days you had far more coverage of the English League than of the LOI on TV and also in the newspapers. You would be able to get the top goalscorers list, the league table, who played in the game and subs and all the other trivia for every division one game in England, but all you got regarding the LOI was a report on the Shamrock Rovers game and the Dundalk game and then just the scores on the other games with maybe a goalscorers chart every couple of weeks. So if I went to see Finn Harps in Ballybofey, there was rarely a report of note the next day in the paper unless they were playing a successful Dublin team like Bohs or Rovers, or Dundalk.

So even back in the seventies you were more educated about the English League and all its going ons.

Move forward and you have this Sky Sports generation. This is just something more developed, now as far as analysing a game is concerned these guys for the most part don't have a clue and you often hear them repeat the words of the Sky Sports pundit they most admire. This little section does annoy me from time to time but to be fair I'd much rather chat to someone about soccer than Coronation Street(which I don't watch), so imo there is no harm in it, unless you are of course you are blaming Sky Sports for the state of Irish soccer and you would be well wide of the mark there.

Even at that its only a small few additions to those that would have ended up supporting some EPL team anyways. There is no harm in it imo.

I hate these LOI guys coming into threads and attacking the EPL fans. As had been said many times, if the League was structured right and more importantly ran right it would not be in the mess its in right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ppl go to EPL games in GAA tops?

lets face it, there is just a lot of stupid ppl out there

• Advertisement

I don't see what it tilts people so much when fans of both a soccer team and a GAA team bring the two together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jazzy wrote: »

On this, whats stupid about it?

You wear what you want when you want, unless you are telling me that we have to be in uniform when we go to enjoy sporting entertainment?

And to wear what they want?

How about they respect the club they are going to,read up a bit about it and the traditions.The amount of Irish Lads I have pulled up over reading the sun in airports/ferry's etc is amazing.It gives normal match going irish fans a bad name.

For example bringing a tricolor to a Liverpool game,why...?You are going to a Liverpool game to support Liverpool.These are the same kind of lads who you see ever weekend in the airport going on stags dressed as leprechauns and having kiss me I am irish t shirts etc etc.It stinks of 'we are Irish sure everybody loves us.'

In anfield there is a campaign to Keep Flags Scouse,I have seen people been asked to take down St George/Union Jack flags.If you are Irish and go to a Liverpool game you should be aware of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

There is usually a tricolour or two hanging in the Camp Nou at most matches especially around pitch level. I see nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    On this, whats stupid about it?

You wear what you want when you want, unless you are telling me that we have to be in uniform when we go to enjoy sporting entertainment?

Nah bollox to that. It's as bad as those clowns who wear Celtic jerseys to Ireland matches.

Nothing to do with the LOI. Just go to England and ask a football fan what he thinks of people from London supporting Man Utd, corporates, sanitised, near silent mega-bowl stadiums, daytrippers coming in once a year from Japan for the spectacle; people whos only point of reference to football is through Sky Sports who think they are football fans and they will tell you the same thing as any LOI fan on here.

Just to check, you have covered Londoners, The Japenese and people who watch or have sky.

I guarantee I spend more on my satellite bill than you do attending whatever Dublin team you decided to support.

I also guarantee I spend more on one trip to see my team play than you do in an entire season to see whatever Dublin team you decided to support.

Damn geography and commerce making me a plastic sky sports fan. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jazzy wrote: »

People go to Ireland matches in British club tops and tracksuits, what's the deal there?

Plenty of stupid people.

How about they respect the club they are going to,read up a bit about it and the traditions.The amount of Irish Lads I have pulled up over reading the sun in airports/ferry's etc is amazing.It gives normal match going irish fans a bad name.

For example bringing a tricolor to a Liverpool game,why...?You are going to a Liverpool game to support Liverpool.These are the same kind of lads who you see ever weekend in the airport going on stags dressed as leprechauns and having kiss me I am irish t shirts etc etc.It stinks of 'we are Irish sure everybody loves us.'

In anfield there is a campaign to Keep Flags Scouse,I have seen people been asked to take down St George/Union Jack flags.If you are Irish and go to a Liverpool game you should be aware of this.

So it's all about fitting into the 'real fan' category?

Doing what those who feel they have a moral highground over you telling you what to do

So it's all about fitting into the 'real fan' category?

Doing what those who feel they have a moral highground over you telling you what to do

I never once said anything about been a real fan,you should however respect the traditions of the club you are going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Theres quite a few sensitive souls on this thread.

I never once said anything about been a real fan,you should however respect the traditions of the club you are going to.

What about players who wear sweat bands with their countries colours on it, are they somehow disrespecting the club?

What about players who wear sweat bands with their countries colours on it, are they somehow disrespecting the club?

Thats up to them,players come and go.If it was me I would not do it.

I guarantee I spend more on my satellite bill than you do attending whatever Dublin team you decided to support.

I also guarantee I spend more on one trip to see my team play than you do in an entire season to see whatever Dublin team you decided to support.
    No you dont. And even if you did, what percentage of the money you spend goes anywhere near 'your team'?

This particular argument is a load of jizz imo.

You basically make your point by naming the behaviour you don't like (bringing tricolours to games) and then naming a completely separate group of people doing completely different things (going on stags dressed as leprechauns and having kiss me I am irish t shirt) and say sure they're the same fellas and they're all eejits...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

But I guess if they played for your team you would still support them ?
    Let people wear or dress as they want. They're there to support their team, what difference does it make ! They paid the same money as you to get there

• Advertisement

So you are passionately giving out about little things like attire and flags at football matches but it's the likes of Sky that have more or less guaranteed that what you are supporting in your sig will never happen again.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This particular argument is a load of jizz imo.

You basically make your point by naming the behaviour you don't like (bringing tricolours to games) and then naming a completely separate group of people doing completely different things (going on stags dressed as leprechauns and having kiss me I am irish t shirt) and say sure they're the same fellas and they're all eejits...

I was just pointing out it looks to me to be the same kind of mentality,I think the two points are related I am however not a sociologist.

I was just pointing out it looks to me to be the same kind of mentality,I think the two points are related I am however not a sociologist.

Fair enough - wouldn't agree though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm all for that, but someone can do all of that but still be a
    CiaranC wrote:
    daytripper coming in once a year from Japan

If we're going to talk about 'real' fans than it should have a lot more to do with your commitment to and knowledge of the club than with where you come from or how often you are able to go to games.

I know you never mentioned the real fan thing,

It's just the feeling i get from a lot of posts was that you have to comply with certain rules to be what some people view as a 'real' fan,

Your's just seemed to take it to a different level.

There are only rules on the pitch in my opinion, none off it, but it's opinions where we all differ, there is never going to be anything close to an agreement on these kind of topics :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement