Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sky Sports Generation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

daithijjj wrote: »
    Theres quite a few sensitive souls on this thread.

Was just thinking the same. Its actually quite funny how people get so touchy when their support is questioned. Must be very insecure about it. Plus, the minute their support is questioned, the old "LOI Brigade" chestnut is immediately rolled out.

Anyway, this will probably be locked soon. Fun while it lasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dub13 wrote: »
    How about they respect the club they are going to,read up a bit about it and the traditions.The amount of Irish Lads I have pulled up over reading the sun in airports/ferry's etc is amazing.It gives normal match going irish fans a bad name.

irregardless of the emotional argument involved, what gives you the right to tell people what paper they should and should not read? do you tell them not to watch/read anything else that is owned by Newscorp inc.? SKY? The Times? Myspace? Being a fan doesnt involve adopting stalinist attitudes to other peoples liberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Being a fan doesnt involve adopting stalinist attitudes to other peoples liberty.

Well fúcking said.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

will1977 wrote: »
    But I guess if they played for your team you would still support them ?
    Let people wear or dress as they want. They're there to support their team, what difference does it make ! They paid the same money as you to get there

Yes I will always support my team no matter what,over the years we have had many a player I did not like on want but once they put that club colors on I will support the 100%.

It makes a lot of difference when the LFC fans as a whole are trying to do something and the odd Irish fan (among others) is going against that.
    Boggles wrote: »
    So you are passionately giving out about little things like attire and flags at football matches but it's the likes of Sky that have more or less guaranteed that what you are supporting in your sig will never happen again.

Its not little in my mind.

The taylor report was what most people put down to making sure another Hillsborough does not happen,you are the first person I have ever heard giving Sky credit for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Thanks, youve proved my point perfectly. You equate watching a football match to renting a movie on DVD. Thats exactly what Im talking about.

Oh HALLO, I was supportive of the old fogies (I hate the culture of irish people claiming 'their' team is beating 'your' team and trying to take pride in it) but can you explain this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The taylor report was what most people put down to making sure another Hillsborough does not happen,you are the first person I have ever heard giving Sky credit for this.

Whos money funded the changes?

gimmick wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same. Its actually quite funny how people get so touchy when their support is questioned. Must be very insecure about it. Plus, the minute their support is questioned, the old "LOI Brigade" chestnut is immediately rolled out.

Anyway, this will probably be locked soon. Fun while it lasted

Nah its not like that, you're just ignorant/righteous on a lot of petty things because you don't like either the PL or the country that its in. You're a city fan so you should know better then most there are plenty of people who follow city and a PL team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I never once said anything about been a real fan,you should however respect the traditions of the club you are going to.

Traditions? Meh.....

Game has changed so much, you can't tell me the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and the likes are respecting their old traditions? Foreign owners, massive wages, almost all foreign players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Oh HALLO, I was supportive of the old fogies (I hate the culture of irish people claiming 'their' team is beating 'your' team and trying to take pride in it) but can you explain this one?
    I had made the point that a seemingly increasing number of people see football as nothing more than another entertainment product, watched on a screen, then the chap chose the unfortunate analogy of comparing choosing which team you support to choosing which DVD to rent.

irregardless of the emotional argument involved, what gives you the right to tell people what paper they should and should not read? do you tell them not to watch/read anything else that is owned by Newscorp inc.? SKY? The Times? Myspace? Being a fan doesnt involve adopting stalinist attitudes to other peoples liberty.

I will not go into that here as its a whole different ball game.

The right I have in the situation I mentioned is they were travailing on a Irishkop trip,as the owner/admin of the site I will not have anybody travailing on one of our trips with that paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Hilarious thread. :D

The OP never even mentioned LoI, yet here come the usual demons who stop ordinary God-fearing folk from going to football in their own country. Talk about prickly!

Just to focus on the flag (although the GAA/Liverpool jersey is a shocker). Isn't just a bit saddo, and very much mixed up, bringing an Irish tricolour to an English football game?

Traditions? Meh.....
    The rallying cry of the Irish plastic.

The right I have in the situation I mentioned is they were travailing on a Irishkop trip,as the owner/admin of the site I will not have anybody travailing on one of our trips with that paper.

Is that actually in your terms and conditions when these people pay to go on these trips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do you kick them off your bus for it?

I would, the ignorant arseholes.

Whos money funded the changes?

If it was not Sky who won the contract it would have been somebody else,don't give sky the credit for the clubs doing something they had to do.
    Traditions? Meh.....

Game has changed so much, you can't tell me the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and the likes are respecting their old traditions? Foreign owners, massive wages, almost all foreign players?

As fans we can not do much about the way clubs are going,we can try to do things about fans that effect fans.

I never once said anything about been a real fan,you should however respect the traditions of the club you are going to.

It's weird because half of me agrees with you and then the other half thinks, why? If my mayo jersey is the only clean top I can find, why should I feel like a gimp for wearing it to a liverpool match? You'd be in the seat behind me scoffing away not realizing that some people wear clothes to keep warm not to make statements.

The rallying cry of the Irish plastic.

:rolleyes:

Is that actually in your terms and conditions when these people pay to go on these trips?

We don't have T&C we are just a group of fans who help each other out.All done on a not for profit bases.
    Des wrote: »
    Do you kick them off your bus for it?

I would, the ignorant arseholes.

They were threatened with been left behind,in fairness it has happened a couple of times and was never a Irishkop member it was usually somebody who booked through a friend.

Since this happened we have put in place a few rules such as you have to be on the site for a while and have a few posts before you can travel with us.This should sort out the situation.

Seriously? because you run a website that allows you to tell people what they can and cannot read?

• Advertisement

I had made the point that a seemingly increasing number of people see football as nothing more than another entertainment product, watched on a screen, then the chap chose the unfortunate analogy of comparing choosing which team you support to choosing which DVD to rent.

This is the crucial point, not everyone thinks football is on this pedestal high above any other form of entertainment. Some people don't use it as part of their identity. It's just a game. They're just football clubs. There is no 'my' club 'his' club 'your' club. It's all in your head and I'd say people who think otherwise are probably worse than the sky generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As fans we can not do much about the way clubs are going,we can try to do things about fans that effect fans.

I don't understand that fans that effect fans bit at all,

Is it not a bit of an ironic statement?

Seriously? because you run a website that allows you to tell people what they can and cannot read?

Its football,do you think it would be ok for a lad in a Rangers top to go to a game on a Celtic coach all kitted out in Rangers gear..?

Its football,do you think it would be ok for a lad in a Rangers top to go to a game on a Celtic coach all kitted out in Rangers gear..?

Going up to the memorial reading the sun would be a no no.

Reading the fúckíng thing on the bus and been told not to, is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I guarantee I spend more on my satellite bill than you do attending whatever Dublin team you decided to support.

I also guarantee I spend more on one trip to see my team play than you do in an entire season to see whatever Dublin team you decided to support.

SuperFan™
    Damn geography and commerce making me a plastic sky sports fan. :(

Damning geography and commerce? Didn't you pick the team you support? So damn yourself.;)

SuperFan™

Damning geography and commerce? Didn't you pick the team you support? So damn yourself.;)

Oh God I wish I were you, *swoon*. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You may think so but maybe you cant understand the passion a lot of lads I go to games with have for LFC.Its the equivalent of a lad in a orange order sash on a Celtic coach,do you think that would go down well..?

Of course he can tell people what they can and cant read on the trips. Nevermind hanging up tricolours with English Teams on them or wearing "Up The Dubs" on your back, being seen with a copy of The Sun in Liverpool, in a Liverpool jersey, would be an insult to the people of Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

to summarise
    1/ stupid people are stupid.
    2/ Football, serious business.

Hardly comparable. If someone came up and told you to not read the paper you were reading, would you entertain them on their reasons for telling you this or would you tell them to **** off?

Besides you didn't answer my main point. Why is it only The Sun that is boycotted. Why not boycott Newscorp Inc. who own the paper?

This is the crucial point, not everyone thinks football is on this pedestal high above any other form of entertainment. Some people don't use it as part of their identity. It's just a game. They're just football clubs. There is no 'my' club 'his' club 'your' club. It's all in your head and I'd say people who think otherwise are probably worse than the sky generation.
    I agree entirely Jimmy, not everyone thinks that way. Thats easy to see from this thread alone. But to some, football is part of your identity, and traditionally always has been. People resent this watered down, sanitised version they are selling now.

• Advertisement

You may think so but maybe you cant understand the passion a lot of lads I go to games with have for LFC.Its the equivalent of a lad in a orange order sash on a Celtic coach,do you think that would go down well..?

Well I wouldn't go to a match with such misguided "passion".

No offense but they sound like idiots.

Even more stupid than Paddy in a Mayo Jersey at a QPR match or Tommy from Leitrim with an inflatable banana.

Besides you didn't answer my main point. Why is it only The Sun that is boycotted. Why not boycott Newscorp Inc. who own the paper?

Or Torres or Gerrard, after all Murdoch does fund a portion of there 100k + weekly wage.

Where do you draw the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

They're embarassing. Was going to a game on the ferry to Anfield there about a year ago and two "fans" of Liverpool reading the s*n newspaper and not a bother in the world. I had a word with them and was told to mind my own business.."the past is the past" etc...Not a violent person but felt like smashing my fist into their faces.:mad: Typical of fans of the club who have jumped aboard in the last 10 years or so.

Hardly comparable. If someone came up and told you to not read the paper you were reading, would you entertain them on their reasons for telling you this or would you tell them to **** off?

We are going way off topic here.

I would like to think I have educated myself enough never to be in such a hypocritical situation as a Liverpool fan reading the sun going to a Liverpool game.

I did answer you,I am not going into the whole Sun boycott thing here as its off topic and will only result in this thread getting closed and I think we are having a good debate here.

Why is it retarded <<< hate that word BTW

Oh God I wish I were you, *swoon*. :rolleyes:

Constructive reply or what.:rolleyes:

Proper order.

Highsider wrote: »
    They're embarassing. Was going to a game on the ferry to Anfield there about a year ago and two "fans" of Liverpool reading the s*n newspaper and not a bother in the world. I had a word with them and was told to mind my own business.."the past is the past" etc...Not a violent person but felt like smashing my fist into their faces.:mad: Typical of fans of the club who have jumped aboard in the last 10 years or so.

Maybe off topic, but why? I understand fully the history of the Sun newspaper, it was and is a rag. However, the boycott seems pointless, it is almost 20 years ago and I doubt the people behind the lies are still there. If truth be told they are probably working for other newspapers.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO START A HEATED DEBATE - JUST CURIOUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

retarded <<< hate that word BTW

Agreed.

You were lucky you weren't Rodney Kinged, lesson learned, mind your own fúckíng business.

Maybe off topic, but why? I understand fully the history of the Sun newspaper, it was and is a rag. However, the boycott seems pointless, it is almost 20 years ago and I doubt the people behind the lies are still there. If truth be told they are probably working for other newspapers.

It's called tradition, it's called history.

• Advertisement

We are going way off topic here.

I would like to think I have educated myself enough never to be in such a hypocritical situation as a Liverpool fan reading the sun going to a Liverpool game.

I did answer you,I am not going into the whole Sun boycott thing here as its off topic and will only result in this thread getting closed and I think we are having a good debate here.

Fair enough i won't go anymore OT other then to say i consider myself educated enough not to stand for The Suns reactionary politics and low brow content, but i'll never consider it my place to tell someone they cannot read it or any other newspaper/tv station etc.

It's not pointless to the people of Liverpool. Also it has hit the s*n where it hurts..sales. As far as i'm concerned i'd never expect any fan who's not a genuine Liverpool supporter to understand just how important the boycott is.

Fair enough i won't go anymore OT other then to say i consider myself educated enough not to stand for The Suns reactionary politics and low brow content, but i'll never consider it my place to tell someone they cannot read it or any other newspaper/tv station etc.

Ok point taken,my last post on this is if I am helping them get to Liverpool on my coach/plane they are in a sense representing my site and Irish fans in general.I will not help people disrespect the city they are going to and my website.

You were lucky you weren't Rodney Kinged, lesson learned, mind your own fúckíng business.
    No i won't mind my own business. Why don't you actually. Your obsession with anything LFC is an embarassment.

No i won't mind my own business. Why don't you actually. Your obsession with anything LFC is an embarassment.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

SectionF wrote: »
    Hilarious thread. :D

The OP never even mentioned LoI, yet here come the usual demons who stop ordinary God-fearing folk from going to football in their own country. Talk about prickly!

Nope i brought it up, as it was clear the way certain posters were going.

I am English, support an English team and have very little interest in the LOI. I went to watch a few UCD matches when i was in UCD but thats the height of it (if im in on fri night i watch the LOI on tv).

It was just so so clear that we got the usual LOI people in here having a sly dig and using this 'sky generation' crap to have a dig at people Irish people supporting an English team.

EDIT: warning noted and last thing ill say on LOI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's not pointless to the people of Liverpool. Also it has hit the s*n where it hurts..sales. As far as i'm concerned i'd never expect any fan who's not a genuine Liverpool supporter to understand just how important the boycott is.

Lol no it hasn't.

The population of Liverpool is 450,000 out of a UK population of 61 million which equates to 0.73% of their target market.

The paper is also the nation's most widely read daily tabloid selling roughly 3 million copies per month.

Yeah, I'm sure Murdoch has many sleepless nights over it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol no it hasn't.

The population of Liverpool is 450,000 out of a UK population of 61 million which equates to 0.73% of the market share.

The paper is also the nation's most widely read daily tabloid selling roughly 3 million copies per month.

Yeah, I'm sure Murdoch has many sleepless nights over it.[/quote

Have a look around if you want for the figures but it's estimated that the boycott has cost anything between 50-100 million in sales to Murdoch. Sure that's nothing to him right? :rolleyes: Why are people demeaning the boycott. It means a lot to the people of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol no it hasn't.

The population of Liverpool is 450,000 out of a UK population of 61 million which equates to 0.73% of their target market.

Yeah, I'm sure Murdoch has many sleepless nights over it.

I would beg to differ on that point Xavi, LFC, as with most large clubs has a much wider base than that across the british isles. Theres no point getting into this debate here but what happened affected many more people than the simple equation in your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have a look around if you want for the figures but it's estimated that the boycott has cost anything between 50-100 million in sales to Murdoch. Sure that's nothing to him right? :rolleyes:

It isn't anything to him over a 20 year period.

Say the figure is a ballpark of £80 million pounds. That's £4 million a year, or £11,000 per day. Murdoch has a net worth of about £6 billion. I really don't think he cares.
    Why are people demeaning the boycott. It means a lot to the people of the city.

Not belittling it but you made it out to be some sort of travisty for The Sun. It isn't.

Advertisement