Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palacios

Options
  • 05-03-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

This fella looks special. Watched the whole game on Football First last night, and his influence on the team is immense. He's always available to the centre backs, he can recieve the ball facing his own goal and retain it under pressure, he can see a pass to either wing, he presses and tackles well, and his energy levels seemed to lift jenas alongside him. It was a much more aggressive JJ than strolled around Wembley, I thought.
    With the attacking players we have, there is a real sense that palacios can underpin a strong finish to the season. I think that sometimes thesecond a player pulls on the white shirt you know he's meant for us- Berbatov, Ginola, Carrick (once Santini had departed), Sheringham, Archibald. These are all flair players, but the same could be said of Woodgate, Roberts, Mabbutt, Clemence. Have we found our Makalele, our Keane? If we have, we can darte to dream again.
    Now lets but golden handcuffs on him. Whatever his contract is, we should be going to him before the end of the season, and offering him a 5-6 year deal. We lost Carrick mainly because we didn't extend, if Lennon had not been tied up a few months ago the big boys would all be sniffing around come the summer. No more cock-ups please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Agreed, he looks a fantastic signing. He's the best central midfielder we have had for a long time. But as with all top players, he will want to play at the highest level, therefore we need to be in the top 3rd of the league on a regular basis, and in the latter stages of Europe on a regular basis.
    Ultimately its down to Harry to get us to that level.

If he has a good 18 months with us, the CL teams will no doubt come calling.

He's the type of player we should be looking to build out team around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I also agree,

If we can finish out this season relitively strongly and put in a good showing during the summer and finally sign a natural left midfielder I see bright bright things for us come next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Spurs cult hero in the making.Keep it up Wilson.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

He is powerfully strong - i see him as a holding player however - although he was unlucky not to score with a volley against the Arse.

Our midfield and back 4 now look set - hopefully not too many buys in Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

He's a legend in the making imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

couldn't agree more ..he's given us extra bite in midfield, has a great engine and can tackle,pass and shoot.

Bit wary of building a team around him as knowing our luck he'd be sold once the team was in place .... but definately a star in the making and an extremely good signing by harry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

hes too good for us... please remember guys we are tottenham and we are cursed. It is this sense that things have a glimmer of hope of becoming great that ends up sickening us the most. The gyspies/voodo witch doctors/shamens have cast their spell on us years ago and we are what we have been since the 60's, consistently inconsistent. :(

sorry to be the barer of the slab of reality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Agreed best signing great work rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

hes too good for us... please remember guys we are tottenham and we are cursed. It is this sense that things have a glimmer of hope of becoming great that ends up sickening us the most. The gyspies/voodo witch doctors/shamens have cast their spell on us years ago and we are what we have been since the 60's, consistently inconsistent. :(

sorry to be the barer of the slab of reality

You need a change of username...;)

I like what I've seen so far, has the potential to be a huge signing for us. Holds, the midfield well, not afraid to tackle, has a killer shot on him (I though he'd kill Snoop last Monday :D) and he picks out simple yet effective passes when needed.

The key is keeping him...actually, the key is Levy not getting twitchy signing finger and selling him on. If the top table are prepared to build a team as opposed to realising the value of their investment, then when a bigger side comes calling we should simply say: he's not for sale, at any price.

Will they have the balls to do that I wonder? Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

The key is keeping him...actually, the key is Levy not getting twitchy signing finger and selling him on. If the top table are prepared to build a team as opposed to realising the value of their investment, then when a bigger side comes calling we should simply say: he's not for sale, at any price.

Thats exactly it. We always find little gems like palacios. Berba and carrick are 2 examples of levy showing he has no bottle. With palacios we should be looking to build our team around him. If his form continues i could easily see a big team come in for him maybe in a year or 2 offer 20-30 mill and hell be off. The clubs tranfer policy has to change. Fair enough weve had some fantastic buys but we sold most of them when were just seeing there potential coming through. We only have to look at january to see the mistakes weve made. We bought back 3 player that we sold in the summer????

• Advertisement
Advertisement