Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city Centre hotel

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

Looking at booking a trip to Cork for 20th and 21st March for myself and the girlfriend. dont know much about the city (never been). Could anybody recommend a nice hotel 3 to 4 stars with a pool and fitness facilities? are there any hidden gems as the obvious ones seem to be the Clarion and gresham

Also has anybody any recommendations on pubs, restaurants and attractions to see while we are there?

Thanks in advance.

p.s if this has been asked in a hundred other threads i apologise, your help is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.ambassadorhotel.ie/

Used to be an old folks hospital but was completely rebuilt and is very nice.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

jurys on western road is nice and is central enuv. for food try the liberty grill also on western road and nutmeg on french church street is unreal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

+1 for the jurys on the western road,tis a very nice place indeed :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Metropole is also a good option...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Avoid Jurys......looks like a factory & staff are iffy.

Go to the Clarion and she'll thank you for it :)

If the Clarions booked up, the Ambassador is a good
    fall back.

For restaurants, check Tripadvisor! I'd recommend Star Anis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

Not 100% about hotels but have heard good things about the Clarion, it's very central as well. The Ivory Tower is well worth a look on the restaurant front & for bars I'd say check out the Franciscan Well or the Bierhaus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gimmick wrote: »
    Metropole is also a good option...

tis indeed,and its smack bang in the city centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ambassador is supposed to be nice, on a hill though so walking back would be a disaster!

Shandon Court Hotel is very close as well, I cant think of it's new name though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rumtumtiddles

Why not try Cafe Paradiso which is a vegetarian restaurant with 4 great bedrooms and a special of B+B+evening meal for 100 during month of March

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/

Why not try Cafe Paradiso which is a vegetarian restaurant with 4 great bedrooms and a special of B+B+evening meal for 100 during month of March

http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/

No offense, but Cafe paradiso is one of the most over rated
    eateries in Cork. The food is lazy, the service is sloppy and
    its over priced too!

• Advertisement

have to agree with a cafe paradiso comment above. Not what you would call a fine eatery by a long stretch of the imagination, imnsho.

MC

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ambassador is supposed to be nice, on a hill though so walking back would be a disaster!

Shandon Court Hotel is very close as well, I cant think of it's new name though.

Hill back to Ambassador means that unlike all of the other hotels it actually has a beautiful vista over the city and the new name for the shandon court is the maldron iirc

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I'm afraid Nutmeg on French Church Street closed down a month ago:(

If you do go to the Ambassador, which is a kind of hidden gem, make sure you ask for a front facing room on an upper floor. The staff are used to this, as the views of the city, especially at night are rather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

but the ambassador while i liked it and views are great doesn't have a pool.
    Went to the montenotte once for a goo and it seemed pretty impressive but its a bit more than a walk.
    Clarion has a great suite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Slightly off topic here I know, because the OP wants fitness facilities etc but before I moved here, I stayed in a B+B called Garnish which is across the road from UCC, and is essentially like a hotel at B+B prices. It's 4 star luxury guest house according to the website. You can get ensuite jacuzzi and the breakfast menu has 30 options; honestly I was upset that I hadn't starved myself the day before to benefit fully from the breakfast. I don't have any links to this place by the way but was so impressed that I felt the need to rave about it slightly ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

Definetly go with the Clarion. I've been down to Cork the last two Christmas's for 6 weeks each time for work and I always stay in the Clarion for that period.

Great location, very good gym facilities / pool and really friendly staff.

For restaurants I'd recommend Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett Street and the Cornmarket (Bodega?) which is up near the big McDonalds on Patrick Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Stay in the Calrion, I spent 75 nights in it last year, all great. Ask for a room with a balcony, they are great. If you want to splash out, ask for room x05 from floor 1 to 5, these are the corner suites, or go for the penthouse, its split level and built for lovin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

I've stayed in the clarion in cork very often (actually here right now) and for a city centre hotel, you would be hard pressed to beat it.

Advertisement