Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gore-tex expectations

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Meant to start this ages ago. I was under the impression for whatever reason that goretex was synonymous with "uber waterproof". However, the first time I took out my new pair of boots (Meindl) I got caught in the lashing rain for a few hours and they were completely soaked through. So clearly I had unrealistic expectations. How much water resistance could one reasonably expect from a decent pair of boots and do waxes and/or sprays make a big difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We need more info ... what kind of boots exactly? Leather, fabric, fabric/suede etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I have a pair of Meindls - and they do get a soaking every now and then. despite being waterproof. But i'm not fussed as there is no such thing as ultra-waterproof. A boot will get soaked if the water is running down your trousers into the top of the boot, or you step in a stream that goes over the top of the boot, etc, etc.

I think users have to be realistic about waterproofing - maybe think more in terms of "water resistent" and you wont go far wrong.

To dry out a boot stick a load of old dry newspaper into the boot - works well for me. Just don't use the sunday newpaper supplement after a sunday walk unless you are really sure no else wants to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We still need to know what kinds of boots though ...

In all cases, the GoreTex membrane in boots is sandwiched between the outer fabric of the boot and the lining.

In the case of a fabric/suede type boot, then the GoreTex membrane is pretty much the only thing between your foot and the big wet outside world. As with GoreTex outer clothing, this will never be 100% waterproof, and eventually your feet will get wet. Add to that that the membrane in boots won't last very long due to damage and wear, and these kinds of boots aren't really suitable for Irish conditions.

For leather boots, assuming they've been adequately cared for and waxed regularly, the GoreTex membrane is more of a second line of defence for when the leather gets saturated or water starts getting at seams that have worn or deteriorated.

Add to that, as you rightly pointed out, water can also get in from above. The answer to this is gaiters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I wear my boots to work alot,
    Meindls let in water around the seams and the base. I went through 2 pairs, given up on them.
    I find Chris Brasher boots much better for water ingress and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

check that your boots have no holes worn through the inside of the goretex. mine wear through at the big toe quite quicky. having said that, the boots are full leather, so kept polished they stay dry in everything.

my waterproof/breathable bivy bag is 100% waterproof though. have slept in it for years and years. woken up in big puddles. had the rain pounding into it for nights on end.
    if your gore-tex is failing, you have a problem somewhere. dodgy seams? water ingress at the ankle? something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Good info there lads. I think mine would fall into the fabric/suede category. I guess leather gore tex boots are the way to go so.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Good info there lads. I think mine would fall into the fabric/suede category. I guess leather gore tex boots are the way to go so.

depends on what you want from boots really. full grain leather needs more breaking in and is more heavy. i used to use fabric/swade (sorry bout the spelling. i dont spell good :) ) boots, and had no problem with them until i ripped through the goretex at the toe. if goretex is leaking, and it has no hole in it, it is either damaged or faulty. which it will be will be probably based on time and extent of use. the seams are also a weak point of all goretex. if you kit is not doing its job its important to test it and find out why. maybe put your boot in a tub of water and see where it starts to leak first?
    but ya, full leather boots will usually out-last the fabirc boots, and be more tough and resiliant. thats the norm anyway. although there will be exceptions based on faults or exceptional cases, and where a cheap full leather boot is compared to a high spec fabric boot.
    essentially though, do whatever it takes to look after your feet. they are your most valuable comodity in the outdoors, after your brain.

Advertisement