Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Taxes & Levies, indirect taxes and Stealth taxes thread

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to keep a list of some of the new taxes and levies coming into effect as a result of the credit crunch?

Proposed taxes also welcome.

You should probably give your opinion on it too so that people can discuss it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The earnings limit on which full tax relief will be available will fall to €150,000 from the previous threshold of €275,000.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1015/1224020737531.html

If I understand it correctly, this will only hurt high earners so not too bad

Proposals for yearly NCT for cars over 10 years old

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0224/1224241710911.html

I would prefer they'd just rob the money for this one, than having to lose a day's holidays aswell in order to do the NCT.

The strange thing about this tax is that it will only affect the people, presumably, with the least amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

Nice thread,

Is there any truth or evidence about a proposed tax on text messages, and would that apply to the free text messages that all of the networks offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    If I understand it correctly, this will only hurt high earners so not too bad

It's little more than a gesture. The amount of revenue it will yield is small.

The gesture should be made, however, because people want to see more equity in the system and tax relief on pension contributions is a tax break that tends to favour the better-off rather than the relatively poor.

euph wrote: »
    Nice thread,

Is there any truth or evidence about a proposed tax on text messages, and would that apply to the free text messages that all of the networks offer?

I think this is just speculation on the boards as I've not seen it in the papers, but a lot of what is written on the various boards does tend to get translated to real life.

The logic: (copied from 'Creative Taxes' thread iirc)
    Apparently there are 2 billion SMS send per quarter in Ireland.
    So a 1c tax per SMS would amount to E20million per quarter, or E80 million per annum assuming the tax doesn't impact current usage.

Assuming there were 2000 people employed at Dell
    Drawing social welfare at a rate of E197.50 per week
    E80 million would probably cover their social welfare bill for 51 weeks.

I also saw it mentioned on this board:
    http://www.politics.ie/economy/50204-new-taxes-any-imaginative-suggestions.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement