Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Earth Hour 2009!

Options
  • 05-03-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As part of a marketing module and in conjunction with students studying product and design, there will be a huge promotional campaign happening in UL in Week 9.

At 10 different locations all over campus [Thomond/Dromroe; Cappa/Kilmurry; The SU; The Plaza; The Concert Hall; The Arena; The KBS/Schuman; East gate; West Gate; The Living Bridge] students from these classes will be promoting Earth hour.

Earth Hour
    Ireland's Cities Embrace Earth Hour

Ireland and many of it's cities are gearing up for Earth Hour 2009.

Local businesses in Ireland are contributing to Earth Hour and will be switching off their lights on the night. Thousands of people, around Ireland, will be coming together to light a candle in support of this global warming awareness initiative.

An estimated 50 to 100 million people around the world switched off their lights for Earth Hour in 2008, and global landmarks including the Golden Gate Bridge, Rome’s Colosseum, the Coke billboard in Times Square and Jumeirah Hotel in Dubai darkened for one hour.

In 2009, Earth Hour aims to reach 1 billion people around the world in more than 1000 cities involving business, government and the community in the world’s largest global action on climate change on 28 March 2009.

In 2009, millions of people from all walks of life will join together for Earth Hour and show the world that it’s possible to take action on global warming.

Come on Ireland, join us for Earth Hour 2009, turn off your lights at 8.30pm Saturday 28 March and sign-up here at earthhour.org.

UL has decided to be proactive and promote this event, along with many other Universities around Ireland.

So please lend your support to the students, and thank this post in support of this great event!

Turning off the lights in Sydney in 2007 for just one hour was the equivalent of taking 48,000 cars off the road. Help save the world, and do your bit too!

http://www.earthhour.org/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Global warming is fiction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Xabs wrote: »
    fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Xabs wrote: »

So is that story going around that I don't drink.....no really it's true not a drop of alcohol have I touched since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Well I think Ireland could do with warming up..... its feckin freezin tonight .... and there is more of it tomorrow!!!

Can't wait for our 3 weeks of Summer though.... Its gonna be fantastic... followed by the usual 4 months of rain !!! + Maybe a week of sun when the kids go back to school in September :):):) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Lol, it does need to be a bit warmer alright.

This may not appear to be affecting anybody at the minute, but by Week 9, students will begin to see what I'm talking about.

If anybody is willing to lend some support to giving out candles, and lighting up the East Gate on the Thursday of Week 9 with us, I'd be more than appreciative.

Some support to all the groups doing this event would also be nice.

The more media coverage and publicity we can generate the better!!

• Advertisement

Mossin wrote: »
    If anybody is willing to lend some support to giving out candles, and lighting up the East Gate on the Thursday of Week 9 with us,

JAYSUS ..... HOPEFULLY I'LL BE CELEBRATING AN ELECTION VICTORY THAT NIGHT :D:D:D:D

Any chanc of bringing those candels to the stables ???:D:D

DJCR wrote: »
    JAYSUS ..... HOPEFULLY I'LL BE CELEBRATING AN ELECTION VICTORY THAT NIGHT :D:D:D:D

Any chanc of bringing those candels to the stables ???:D:D

You support us as part of your Election campaign and I'll put them where ever you want to!

Hahahahahaha..... I'll give you HONOURABLE mention on my website....

Your lecturer will think the light shines out of your arse with that stunt!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

The ball is really beginning to roll regarding Earth Hour.

Local Radio (Spin South West) are going to be interviewing a student (me) today to generate publicity, and are going to do a live interview also on one of the days in Week 9.

Local newspapers (The Leader/Post/An Focal) have agreed to do articles for this also. If Sceptre would answer the phone when I ring, I might get the Independent involved also **Hint Hint** :)

There are going to be numerous events going on throughout week 9, and I know the elections will be running also, but it should allow students to get involved, and if you see anything going on, dont be shy "Join In" :)

Thanks

hahaha..ya dirty culchie :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The ball is really beginning to roll regarding Earth Hour.

Local Radio (Spin South West) are going to be interviewing a student (me) today to generate publicity, and are going to do a live interview also on one of the days in Week 9.

Local newspapers (The Leader/Post/An Focal) have agreed to do articles for this also. If Sceptre would answer the phone when I ring, I might get the Independent involved also **Hint Hint** :)

There are going to be numerous events going on throughout week 9, and I know the elections will be running also, but it should allow students to get involved, and if you see anything going on, dont be shy "Join In" :)

Thanks

Hey Mossin, what time is the interview on?

Best of luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Ironically, due to the way electricity is generated this whole thing will have very little to no effect on the amount of CO2 spewed into the air :)

</ends party pooping>

Also stick a mp3 of the recording up here, should be good for a laugh!

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Haven't been ignoring you Dave, just the universe at large. Will give you a buzz in a while.

Peteee wrote: »
    Ironically, due to the way electricity is generated this whole thing will have very little to no effect on the amount of CO2 spewed into the air :)

</ends party pooping>

Good Luck!
    well our second most powerful plant is run on coal.

must be smokeless..then again who cares about clare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

kaimera wrote: »
    well our second most powerful plant is run on coal.

must be smokeless..then again who cares about clare ;)

*Don't......take.....bait.....

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hey Mossin, what time is the interview on?

Best of luck

Thanks YFlyer.
    The interview was pre-recorded on Monday.
    Afaik it went out either Monday evening or Tuesday sometime.

I havent looked too strenously for it, for obvious reasons I think :P
    Nah, if I can find it I will upload it.
    sceptre wrote: »
    Haven't been ignoring you Dave, just the universe at large. Will give you a buzz in a while.

Yeah I know you havent been, and a huge thanks for your help last Thursday.
    Any article this week will be much appreciated.

I need to add to my growing fame.
    I had my email read out on 2fm 2 weeks ago; SpinSW last Monday, Limerick Post last week...

Afaik, we will be in the Independent [isnt that right Sceptre ;)], the Leader, and we have a Live Interview on Live95 on Thursday morning also :)

So seriously people, when you see events going on in UL this week, do try and join in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭idPlease

Where: The plaza.

When: This Wednesday at 11:55am.

Why: to raise awareness for Earthhour (see www.earthhour.org )

There has been a lot of interest so make sure to come along and join in!

Our Earth Hour campaign is in gear!

From lunch-time tomorrow you will all see our poster campaign at the East Gate.

For those of you who cant make it down to see it, I've attached a few pics of some group members [and a local politician] holding the poster! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

For those of you who cant make it down to see it, I've attached a few pics of some group members [and a local politician] holding the poster! :)

Bah don't other clicking on the pics, not a looker in the bunch!

Bah don't other clicking on the pics, not a looker in the bunch!

:eek: And I thought you loved me! :'( :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Its that time of year again when we might get some Dark Skies for a while!

:)

Advertisement