Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Earth Hour 2009!

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Earth Hour is happening on the 28th of March 2009. All households, businesses etc are being pleaded with to turn their lights off for just one hour [from 8:30 - 9:30] in an attempt to combat global warming.
    Ireland's Cities Embrace Earth Hour

Ireland and many of it's cities are gearing up for Earth Hour 2009.

Local businesses in Ireland are contributing to Earth Hour and will be switching off their lights on the night. Thousands of people, around Ireland, will be coming together to light a candle in support of this global warming awareness initiative.

An estimated 50 to 100 million people around the world switched off their lights for Earth Hour in 2008, and global landmarks including the Golden Gate Bridge, Rome’s Colosseum, the Coke billboard in Times Square and Jumeirah Hotel in Dubai darkened for one hour.

In 2009, Earth Hour aims to reach 1 billion people around the world in more than 1000 cities involving business, government and the community in the world’s largest global action on climate change on 28 March 2009.

In 2009, millions of people from all walks of life will join together for Earth Hour and show the world that it’s possible to take action on global warming.

Come on Ireland, join us for Earth Hour 2009, turn off your lights at 8.30pm Saturday 28 March and sign-up here at earthhour.org.

The University of Limerick has decided to be proactive and promote this event, along with many other Universities around Ireland.

At 10 different locations all over the campus [Thomond/Dromroe; Cappa/Kilmurry; The SU; The Plaza; The Concert Hall; The Arena; The KBS/Schuman; East gate; West Gate; The Living Bridge] students from these classes will be promoting Earth hour. Advertising campaigns will be evident from the East Gate where other events such as handing out candles, and beeping in support of Earth hour will occur throughout the week leading up to the the actual event.

So please lend your support to the students, and thank this post in support of this great event!

Also if anybody would like to lend their support and come to a candle lit vigil, then please PM me for further details.
    All media coverage would be greatly appreciated also.

Turning off the lights in Sydney in 2007 for just one hour was the equivalent of taking 48,000 cars off the road. Help save the world, and do your bit too!

For more info go to: http://www.earthhour.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

What a load of rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Am or Pm?

- What is it going to achieve?

Aren't all of our hours Earth Hours?
    Mossin wrote:
    Turning off the lights in Sydney in 2007 for just one hour was the equivalent of taking 48,000 cars off the road.

Turning off the lights in UL for just one hour is the equivalent of lots of students getting disorientated, knocking over their pints and suing the Stables.

- This nonsense stinks of The Green Party, ideological crap from dumb people that happen to be so disinterested in and ignorant of actual problems in Society they get themselves "super busy" championing a heroic non-cause.

It reminds me also of car free day which is always a sickening insult in a Country almost devoid of public transport - Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

pathetic token gesture...Ideological b&llsh%t.

Theres a recesion on, a bad one. People will be reducing consumption of everything incl use of electricity because of that anyway.

When people have nothing else to worry about we can create the global warming problem again.

Sounds like an episode of the simpsons "earh hour" rememebr "love day"

lets have "dont flush the toilet day" because we're running out of water aswell or "dont fart" day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't see the point of it, it's not as if the electricity producers are going to stop producing electricity for an hour, they still use the same amount of fuel, you mightn't be using "much" power, but how about all those portable devices? Is the charge going to be saved in that as well?

But as a way to get enviormental issues highlighed and showing what can be done, it's a nice gesture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I never said it was the greatest idea in the world, or that it will solve everything or anything, but being all negative about it wont change anything either.

I'm one of the students involved, and I'm only involved because we have no choice!

@Raiser...[its at 8:30 - 9:30 pm] ...its not about turning off the lights in the Stables and getting drunk...you completely missed the point imo!

@betonit...this has been going on sice 2007 as I mentioned..its not just this year that Ireland has been involved, but as usual the responses here are apparently indicitive of why Ireland hasnt done anything.
    Here are the supposed future of this country [students of UL and other universities] trying to promote a campaign that could do something. I know I said I'm being forced to do it, but the more I get involved the more I like the overall aims.

If you dont want to participate then dont. I was just trying to make people aware of what is being done on their doorstep at the University.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Mossin wrote: »
    If you dont want to participate then dont. I was just trying to make people aware of what is being done on their doorstep at the University.

People are sick of token gestures, this is exactly what this is. You posted something on a public discussion board. It will get discussed.

betonit wrote: »
    People are sick of token gestures, this is exactly what this is. You posted something on a public discussion board. It will get discussed.

Discussed? You call these posts discussing a topic?
    What a load of rubbish!

No argument to back this up, just a pointless statement imo. Trying to stir something
    Raiser wrote: »
    Aren't all of our hours Earth Hours?

Turning off the lights in UL for just one hour is the equivalent of lots of students getting disorientated, knocking over their pints and suing the Stables..

Sounds more like sarcasm to me and no real attempt at discussion either...although the rest of the post had a point.
    betonit wrote: »
    pathetic token gesture...Ideological b&llsh%t.

Theres a recesion on, a bad one. People will be reducing consumption of everything incl use of electricity because of that anyway.

When people have nothing else to worry about we can create the global warming problem again.

Sounds like an episode of the simpsons "earh hour" rememebr "love day"

lets have "dont flush the toilet day" because we're running out of water aswell or "dont fart" day.

As I mentioned, its not because the recession in upon us that this has arisen. Global warming has been around for years, and nobody will pay attention.

Your attempt at sarcastic humour was brilliant there, and will stimulate great discussion on a no fart day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

8.30pm on a Saturday night isn't really proactive.

The university will be empty bar the bars, the only businesses open will be the bars and the takeaways (and corner stores and empty 24h shops).

Why not do something constructive rather than something pointless? Switch off the lights by all means, but join your neighbours for a candlelight drink or take the dog for a walk or whatever.

A friend of mine, living in New Jersey recently told me about an incentive in their area. Everyone was asked to turn off their TV and their computers and radios for a couple of hours, and spend the evening together as a unit. That, to me, is far more productive than holding vigils because closed businesses were virtuous enough to turn off their lights.

The lights should be off anywhere not in use anyhow!

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    8.30pm on a Saturday night isn't really proactive.

The university will be empty bar the bars, the only businesses open will be the bars and the takeaways (and corner stores and empty 24h shops).

Why not do something constructive rather than something pointless? Switch off the lights by all means, but join your neighbours for a candlelight drink or take the dog for a walk or whatever.

A friend of mine, living in New Jersey recently told me about an incentive in their area. Everyone was asked to turn off their TV and their computers and radios for a couple of hours, and spend the evening together as a unit. That, to me, is far more productive than holding vigils because closed businesses were virtuous enough to turn off their lights.

The lights should be off anywhere not in use anyhow!
    Earth Hour is happening on the 28th of March 2009. All households, businesses etc are being pleaded with to turn their lights off for just one hour

The University of Limerick has decided to be proactive and promote this event, along with many other Universities around Ireland.

At 10 different locations all over the campus support of Earth hour will occur throughout the week leading up to the the actual event.

Its all households and businesses...obviously like you said its being targeted at households more so than businesses as most wont even be open.
    Thats why UL students are promoting the event for the entire week leading up to the event to remind people to turn their lights off.

Its not being confined to Ireland, its a global event.
    Its starting in Australia at 8:30pm there and will go right around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

How many carbon units will be emitted by UL students promoting this? How many carbon units will be emitted by the vigil?

Wouldn't the UL students be far more eco-friendly if they started using public transport and bikes more and using cars less. There'd be far less carbon emissions and far less of the UL landscape covered in ugly car parks.

And are the same students going to curtail their carbon emitting late night parties this very same night as well?

And no, I've nothing against UL, I'm a former student. But this silly posturing is an empty vessel.

• Advertisement

Global warming is a load of rubbish!
    Weve had one of the coldest winters in years for feck sake!
    I dont for one minute believe that man can do anthing to alter a billion year earth cycle the planet will get warmer and then it will get cooler and on and on and on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

I dont for one minute believe that man can do anthing to alter a billion year earth cycle the planet will get warmer and then it will get cooler and on and on and on!

while usually i refrain from childish namecalling. on this occasion i cant. u my friend are a moron, do u know anything about global warming. i mean the fact that u even said weve had the cooldest winter in years. thats because of global warming. we are heading for an ice age. the efects of global warming are here for every1 to see.

now to the topic. any night not just saturday, between half 8 and half 9 is the most expensive time to use electricity as it is the peak time when everyone is watching tv, using electric ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, having showers etc. turning everything electrical off for one measly hour aint that hard. go to the pub(they dont have to turn off electricity because if a hundred ppl are in the pub they are sharing that electricity and not at their hundred homes wasting electricity. if u wanna be sarcastic every1 can go to the same house and leave lights and stuff on if ye want. its about cutting back the overall electricity).

car free day is also a brilliant idea but its not done properly at all. all cars should be banned from the city limits on this day and have more regular buses all free on this day(they are already free. it costs the local government i know and that costs the tax payer but have sponsered buses or something. have some sponsored evenys throughout the city to bring the public into the city generating economy).

fart free day. i love this idea:) but how could we implement it. ideas???

my final note. i know alot of ppl think all this global warming stuff is nonsense and some think global warming sounds great because we will have a hotter climate. but it also means colder winters and a change in culture. animals are coming into this country because they can handle our climate now. sharks, whales are getting closer to our shores. seal lions where found in the river shannon in limerick city only last year. these things have changed at such a rapid rate that in 10 or 20 years it wont be unreal for tigers, lions to be in this country. maybe thats a bit exaderated maybe not but the fact is animals we cant control because we dont know how to handle will come here and we will become extinct. now you may think(talking sh*t) but a couple years back maybe 1 or 2. a guy was in dell working nights. he went to the parking lot on his break. went to his car and was bitten by a snake!!!! turned out to be a pet that escaped from a house and ended up out round there. prob looking for a job:) but when the guy went to the regional with a snake bite they didnt know wat to do. so my point is if we dont know these animals we are in trouble. the weather is changing my friends. so is the world. recesion will be a silly joke compared to wat lies ahead for the world.

Paulegend wrote: »
    while usually i refrain from childish namecalling. on this occasion i cant. u my friend are a moron, do u know anything about global warming. i mean the fact that u even said weve had the cooldest winter in years. thats because of global warming. we are heading for an ice age. the efects of global warming are here for every1 to see.

now to the topic. any night not just saturday, between half 8 and half 9 is the most expensive time to use electricity as it is the peak time when everyone is watching tv, using electric ovens, dishwashers, microwaves, having showers etc. turning everything electrical off for one measly hour aint that hard. go to the pub(they dont have to turn off electricity because if a hundred ppl are in the pub they are sharing that electricity and not at their hundred homes wasting electricity. if u wanna be sarcastic every1 can go to the same house and leave lights and stuff on if ye want. its about cutting back the overall electricity).

car free day is also a brilliant idea but its not done properly at all. all cars should be banned from the city limits on this day and have more regular buses all free on this day(they are already free. it costs the local government i know and that costs the tax payer but have sponsered buses or something. have some sponsored evenys throughout the city to bring the public into the city generating economy).

my final note. i know alot of ppl think all this global warming stuff is nonsense and some think global warming sounds great because we will have a hotter climate. but it also means colder winters and a change in culture. animals are coming into this country because they can handle our climate now. sharks, whales are getting closer to our shores. seal lions where found in the river shannon in limerick city only last year. these things have changed at such a rapid rate that in 10 or 20 years it wont be unreal for tigers, lions to be in this country. maybe thats a bit exaderated maybe not but the fact is animals we cant control because we dont know how to handle will come here and we will become extinct. now you may think(talking sh*t) but a couple years back maybe 1 or 2. a guy was in dell working nights. he went to the parking lot on his break. went to his car and was bitten by a snake!!!! turned out to be a pet that escaped from a house and ended up out round there. prob looking for a job:) but when the guy went to the regional with a snake bite they didnt know wat to do. so my point is if we dont know these animals we are in trouble. the weather is changing my friends. so is the world. recesion will be a silly joke compared to wat lies ahead for the world.

You suffer from sheep syndrome!
    Global warming in essence is a natural cycle that man nor machine can do anything about!
    We can throw names at the phenom but thats about it!
    Sure is'nt it "climate change" now! global warming is so 90's at this stage...
    There are thousands of studys and counter studys argueing all the points above you choose your sides and takes your chance!!!
    Ill side with mother nature on this one im not one of those people that thinks man can alter the fabric of the universe we are just another organism in this world,true we are probably the most damaging one on the planet but we aint doing enough to change the climate its changing anyway just like it has always done long before we every existed!
    Call me what you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ireland has always had a large shark and whale population around it's coasts, so nothing new in them being there. In terms of sharks, Thresher sharks, blue sharks, porbeagle sharks, and basking sharks being the more obvious big sharks, and all have always been present in large numbers since fishing records have been kept.

We have always have a large whale and porpoise population, and the Shannon estuary is where the largest population of bottlenose dolphin in Europe can be found, again nothing new as they have been there for thousands of years as skeletal records prove this.

As for your seal lion comment, I am assuming you meant to say sea lion, in which case you are incorrect, no sea lion was found in the shannon in Limerick, what was found was a species of seal, a species that is resident to our waters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Say that to the people in developing nations who are the ones having to deal with the worst effects of climate change. It has been reported that human induced changes in the world’s climate lead to 5 million cases of illness and 150000 deaths each year (World Health Organization).

Over the past 1000 years the average earth surface temperature remained relatively steady until the mid 1800's which coincided with the industrial revolution. From then on the average earth surface temperature has risen dramatically to the present day. It proves that it is due to human activity.

However i know where your coming from. As there are alot of other things that affect surface temperature like you said. The earth does have a natural cycle and also the sun cycle and relevance of sun spots plays a major role. However this dramatic increase in temperature came out of nowhere, it was a very sharp rise, not a gradual one which is what it would be if it was due to a natural earth cycle or whatever.

Now im only halfway through my degree in environmental science so unfortunately i havent done any of my own research but if you had an idea of the physics and chemistry behind climate change, greenhouse gases, and the troposphere, then you would agree that climate change is a serious problem.

Its not your fault that you believe in what you believe in. Unfortunately the media either exaggerate climate change, e.g Ireland will be underwater withing 10 years or they dont report it enough. Also governments need to take a more serious approach on climate change but unfortunately in this economic climate other issues are more likely to come first.

Please dont talk about global warming or climate change when you clearly know very little about it.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And the reason we've had one of the coldest winters in years is because of global warming...

ignorance is bliss i guess;)

krudler wrote: »
    And the reason we've had one of the coldest winters in years is because of global warming...

ignorance is bliss i guess;)

Believe what you like some day it will all become clear and we will realise we are only human afterall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Please dont talk about global warming or climate change when you clearly know very little about it.

Thank you.

listen mate i have spent the last few years preaching to all me mates about global warming and climate change. i know all about the atlantic motor fan thing:) technical name. and while some of my facts are slightly off as alchohol tends to kill the memory at 3 or 4 in the morning.

i know we cant stop or reverse climate change. but we can slow it down and give time to adjust.

fair enough ppl are thinking right now (bullsh*ter) but wat about the polar capsules that are falling into the ocean. wat about the increasing level of the ocean. im actually running to work right now but ill post later and tell u exactly wat global warming is.

its not a myth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hi all,

Earth Hour is happening on the 28th of March 2009. All households, businesses etc are being pleaded with to turn their lights off for just one hour [from 8:30 - 9:30] in an attempt to combat global warming.

At 10 different locations all over the campus [Thomond/Dromroe; Cappa/Kilmurry; The SU; The Plaza; The Concert Hall; The Arena; The KBS/Schuman; East gate; West Gate; The Living Bridge] students from these classes will be promoting Earth hour. Advertising campaigns will be evident from the East Gate where other events such as handing out candles, and beeping in support of Earth hour will occur throughout the week leading up to the the actual event.

So please lend your support to the students, and thank this post in support of this great event!

Also if anybody would like to lend their support and come to a candle lit vigil, then please PM me for further details.
    All media coverage would be greatly appreciated also.

Turning off the lights in Sydney in 2007 for just one hour was the equivalent of taking 48,000 cars off the road. Help save the world, and do your bit too!

For more info go to: http://www.earthhour.org/

Hi Mossin
    Thanks for the info... I'll be joining the UL students in switching off all my lights on that date!

• Advertisement

listen mate i have spent the last few years preaching to all me mates about global warming and climate change. i know all about the atlantic motor fan thing:) technical name. and while some of my facts are slightly off as alchohol tends to kill the memory at 3 or 4 in the morning.

i know we cant stop or reverse climate change. but we can slow it down and give time to adjust.

fair enough ppl are thinking right now (bullsh*ter) but wat about the polar capsules that are falling into the ocean. wat about the increasing level of the ocean. im actually running to work right now but ill post later and tell u exactly wat global warming is.

its not a myth

Im not saying its a myth. I believe in it. I didnt know you were drunk when writing that.

Just some of the points you made about lions and stuff being in Ireland is a load of crock!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

paulegend banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

What a load of nonsense. "Oh lets sit around in the dark for an hour to save the world". Come off it. People have better things to be doing with their Saturday night than living like cavemen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

even if every single person/business/house turned off everything for a month what difference is it going to make. None. Ireland is a speck on the climate change map. The green effort is really getting on my wick lately. Can't wait for the carbon tax to come in :(

vkid wrote: »
    even if every single person/business/house turned off everything for a month what difference is it going to make. None. Ireland is a speck on the climate change map. The green effort is really getting on my wick lately. Can't wait for the carbon tax to come in :(

Once again I try to reiterate the point that this is a global event! Between 8:30 and 9:30pm across the world, lights will be going off.

Even if Ireland is a speck on the climate change map....if 4 million people turned off their lights for the hour, it would be the same as Sydney turning its lights off for 2 hours.
    As I said already, when just over 2million people did it in Sydney it 2007, it compared to taking 48,000 cars off the road. Thats better than any car free day imo.

It may not be the greatest idea ever in the world, but whats the problem really?
    Leave the lights off, get some candles, make a romantic setting or something.

Why are people so negative towards at least giving something a go?
    If you dont try, then how can change occur?

If people continue to disbelieve that doing something like this can help, and continue to do nothing as a result, then nothing will happen.

Maybe people could just give it a go!

I'm sure most people couldn't care less about climate change, when there is so much wrong with the finances of the world. I'm more concerned about being able to pay my bills this month than worrying about my lightbulbs destroying the world. Its like car free day.. a completely pointless futile exercise.

Well if you have the lights off then the Electricity bills will be cheaper too...
    2 birds with 1 stone!

Well if you have the lights off then the Electricity bills will be cheaper too...
    2 birds with 1 stone!

Yeah, that hour of no lights is going to make a massive dent in the electricity bill. Plus most people just want to enjoy themselves on a Saturday night.

"Yeah party at my house lads. But we're going to sit down with some candles and no music. And you also can't drink because the cans and bottles might not biodegrade for a thousand years. But yeah, it should be great craic"

Hippies and tree lovers can turn their lights off if they want. I'll be sitting down enjoying the artificial glow of my incandescent lightbulbs. Hell, I might even turn all the lights and tvs on in my house just for a laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm sure most people couldn't care less about climate change, when there is so much wrong with the finances of the world. I'm more concerned about being able to pay my bills this month than worrying about my lightbulbs destroying the world. Its like car free day.. a completely pointless futile exercise.

Bang on. Most people have way too many other worries right now..

• Advertisement

I didnt think asking for one hour out of one day in a year too much to ask for....but apparently I was wrong.

Its not as though I dont have other things going on as well.
    I'm not oblivious to the recession and other problems...

Its not for everyone, I understand that, and thats fair enough. :)

Advertisement