Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Earth Hour 2009!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

[GUILTY CONSCIENCE POST]

In fairness, although I'm a hopeless sceptic etc. etc. There's nothing too wrong with being well intentioned and championing your beliefs and working towards your ideals.

Your attitude is also admirable and to your credit.

[/GUILTY CONSCIENCE POST]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ry2k_2000

Lads reading through the thread most of yous sound like idiots with the typical Irish attitude of bringing down someone with a good idea....

Yes no matter how much you argue -earth hour is a good idea, its definitely not a bad one and no it itself is not going to halt climate change but it can send out a message, and so what if its just a symbol, EH aint gonna hurt anyone so just shut up and turn off your lights like the other 100s of millions around the world!

And by the way, I dont think people will be fretting about the recession sooo much that they can t turn the lights off for an hour!

Mossin was just tyring to spread awareness no need to attack him!! I along witht friends will be supproting earth hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

been banned for saying moron:) 7 days so retarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Paulegend wrote: »
    been banned for saying moron:) 7 days so retarded
    lol you where doing so well keeping your cool through the whole thread and all.
    Im not into all this save the world stuff meself but would like to see how many people actually do turn off their lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

some of the opinions expressed on here, explain why i despise humanity. there are too many ****in idiots consumed by their own ****e..look at those ****ing idiots in the north of ireland..they should be shot, and told shut the **** up..this is how it is and thats the way it will be. theres way more important **** in this world than a stupid united ireland.

HUMANITY IS A CURSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i turned my lights off for about 9 hours last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Mossin wrote: »
    As I said already, when just over 2million people did it in Sydney it 2007, it compared to taking 48,000 cars off the road. Thats better than any car free day imo.

It may not be the greatest idea ever in the world, but whats the problem really?
    Leave the lights off, get some candles, make a romantic setting or something.

!

so 2 million people turning off there lights in sydney is like taking 48,000 cars off the road, how many cars would have to be added to account for the 2 million people burning candles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

utick wrote: »
    so 2 million people turning off there lights in sydney is like taking 48,000 cars off the road, how many cars would have to be added to account for the 2 million people burning candles?
    who lit candles, I was sitting in the dark. but that was a coincidence.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ry2k_2000

Utick....why are you arguing???? why??? it's like you're specifically looking for bad things about it!!! Earth Hour is not a bad idea whatsoever, its more good than any bad faults you can find! Just turn off your lights for the hour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

SpinSouthWest will be helping to promote Earth Hour after interviewing students today. They are going to add additional support to the cause nearer to the 28th of March also.

Local newspapers will also be covering the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Go Earth Hour! Hope it went well in Limerick! I only heard about it yesterday and I think it's a great idea. Turned off all my lights power sources, everything and went for a walk. Not sure it's caught on in Dublin but i'd say it will in the future.

Next year, I'll be having an earth hour party - candles, beer, wine and company!

Images can be seen on this website

http://www.dublinblog.ie/2008/03/30/earth-hour-dublin-2008/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Load of crap. A sop to middle class consciences. Oooh look at me I am so trendy, I am helping the ENVIRONMENT by turning off the lights for one hour. Forget the 3 cars in the driveway and all the rest of it. At least be honest. The population of the planet is increasing by 1million people every FOUR days. Until something is done about that, all these token gestures are worse than meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well we did it, had the fire on, few candles, still have most of the lights off.

Load of crap. A sop to middle class consciences. Oooh look at me I am so trendy, I am helping the ENVIRONMENT by turning off the lights for one hour. Forget the 3 cars in the driveway and all the rest of it. At least be honest. The population of the planet is increasing by 1million people every FOUR days. Until something is done about that, all these token gestures are worse than meaningless.

rubbish - it's creating awareness. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Nothing to do with class. EVERYBODY uses electricity in this country. The idea is to encourage EVERYBODY to think about it.

Worked for me!

Power of One etc

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

dolliemix wrote: »
    rubbish - it's creating awareness. Rome wasn't built in a day.

But thats the problem, Rome needs to be built in an minute to sort it, and even then it's too late, the tipping point has been reached and passed....:(

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2005/aug/11/science.climatechange1

Exactly. Turning off the lights for one hour isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. We are going to need far more drastic action than that to slow down the damage we are doing. The earth will survive global warming, human beings might not. "Creating awareness". That has to be the most unctuous phrase in modern english. Why not call it by its old fashioned name - propaganda? The only light that was off in my house was the one i couldn't fix earlier in the day.

Exactly. Turning off the lights for one hour isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. We are going to need far more drastic action than that to slow down the damage we are doing. The earth will survive global warming, human beings might not. "Creating awareness". That has to be the most unctuous phrase in modern english. Why not call it by its old fashioned name - propaganda? The only light that was off in my house was the one i couldn't fix earlier in the day.

Well just as well we're not relying on you!!

Progress, forward thinking and results have never come from cynisism and those who sit in the background giving reasons why something won't work as opposed to acting.

There will be no changes if individuals don't play their small part.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    "Progress, forward thinking and results" - Are you a human being or a walking talking marketing pamphlet?
    I prefer skepticism to CYNICISM but at least I can spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

dolliemix wrote: »
    Well just as well we're not relying on you!!

Progress, forward thinking and results have never come from cynisism and those who sit in the background giving reasons why something won't work as opposed to acting.

There will be no changes if individuals don't play their small part.

Please do a small bit of research, turning off our lights for one hour per year is laughable, I know you have this eutopian vision that we are all in this together, but you will never see governments of the USA, China, India sharing it with you....:(

Advertisement