Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant Did A Runner

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

A tenant of mine did a runner and owes a considerable amount of back-rent. I know virtually nothing about how to:
    1) Find someone who's done this &
    2) Make them give back the money.
    Any advice or experience from boardsies on this would be greatly appreciated. My info on the person runs to pretty much nothing beyond their name and bank account number. Is it possible to negotiate or force co-operation from the bank into helping me find the person (by supplying home address or where the account is now being accessed)?
    When I do find them whats the craic with getting back the money? Is it a civil or criminal matter? Can and/or should I use debt-collectors?
    Lastly the person may now be in the UK so any information about complications arising from that would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

AFAIK Gardaí will find him for you, then it's up to yourself to settle / take it to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming the tenancy is registered with the PRTB, you can make a complaint to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dduncan

Get on to the PRTB. If you have his PPS no they will track him down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The bank won't - data protection.
    The Gardai probably won't for the same reason. They can find him and arrest him if a crime has been commited, but they won't just give you his address!
    Also, owing money is not a crime so no, it's not criminal, it's civil.
    Imagine if the bank or the gardai gave an address of someone to another person and they went there and murdered them?

U.K. Well - he has commited no crime in U.K. and the gardai don't have jurisdiction there. They won't spend a lot of time looking for some guy in Britain who skipped out on his rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Practically all protection goes with the tenant not the landlord, I think you could be wasting your time and money trying to get your money back unless it's a situation where they have the money and are deliberately not paying it but then why would they do a runner. Harsh but the best thing you can do it get the house ready for the rental market ASAP and be thankfull that they left the house in one piece.(speaking from experience here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This is amazing. I read another thread not a week ago about a tenant of 4 years standing who had a stroke and who asked his landlord to accept health board cheques and the landlord turfed him out. The poor guy got dogs abuse and was told he was in the wrong. Now there's a guy who screws a landlord out of several months rent and all people can say is "move on". I suppose the lesson is if you try to be decent and honest with your landlord he'll screw you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

People are only saying 'move on' because it would be so difficult to track the tenant down and force him to pay.

The case with the guy who had a stroke is entirely different as it was not his fault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- if you have an issue with what someone else has posted- use the report post function.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement