Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gavin Bryars - Jesus' blood never failed me yet

• 05-03-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Heard this on Nova last week on the Eno programme and it stopped me dead in my tracks. Anyone have this? and what version would you recommend
    the original 25 min version or the later 70 min one with Tom Waits.
    Also anyone have the Sinking of the Titanic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I prefer The Sinking of the Titanic to Jesus' Blood... but both are absolutely mesmerising. There's a CD on Virgin with the short versions of both (and that's the only version of Jesus' Blood... I own so can't comment on the long version). I don't like the version with Tom Waits (it sounds like he's taking the piss out of the tramp IMO) but it's only a very short version so if you're buying it for him, it might not be worth it.

The definitive version of The Sinking of the Titanic is the long version on Point Music followed by the more recent long version on Touch Records. The one on Point is far, far better though. I think all of these albums are in print and easy to find.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I've been meaning to get this album too, read great reports on it.

As for Titanic, definitely as per John in that the version to go for is the one on Point. I bought the Touch version and although it is very good, it just doesn't have the charm of the Point release, I think mainly due to the choir featured in the Point version, makes it all the more haunting.

Definitely. While the Touch version is still moving, those choral parts really tug at the heart strings. Would love to see Bryars do it live, a site specific performance in the Harland and Wolf shipyards would be especially fitting.

Great idea, that would be amazing.

If no one else does it, I'll book him for the centenary of the Titanic's launch at the above location. Hopefully, I'll have my Nobel prize by then and can afford such extravagances...

• Advertisement

John wrote: »
    If no one else does it, I'll book him for the centenary of the Titanic's launch at the above location. Hopefully, I'll have my Nobel prize by then and can afford such extravagances...

Sounds like a plan, I'll sponsor it on the assumption that my many businesses are up and running by then and require promotion such as this...

Advertisement