Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice Music Prize

Options
  • 05-03-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Jape album wins Choice Music Prize

Dubliner Richie Egan, aka Jape, has won this year's Choice Music Prize for the Irish Album of the Year.
    Jape's 'Ritual' was chosen for the accolade by a jury of 12 Irish music media professionals at a special award show in Dublin's Vicar Street last night, which featured performances from six of the 10 nominees.
    Egan receives a cheque for €10,000, provided by the Irish Music Rights Organisation (IMRO) and the Irish Recorded Music Association (IRMA), and a specially commissioned award.

The 10 nominees for the Choice Music Prize were:
    Fight Like Apes 'Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion'
    Mick Flannery 'White Lies'
    Halfset 'Another Way of Being There'
    Lisa Hannigan 'Sea Sew'
    David Holmes 'The Holy Pictures'
    Jape 'Ritual'
    Messiah J & the Expert 'From the Word Go'
    Oppenheimer 'Take the Whole Mid-Range and Boost It'
    RSAG 'Organic Sampler'
    The Script 'The Script'

So was Japes album a worthy choice then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Who cares? How many people are actually going to buy that CD just because it won the Choice award? About as much credibility as the IFTAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Nolanger wrote: »
    Who cares? How many people are actually going to buy that CD just because it won the Choice award? About as much credibility as the IFTAs.

Obviously not yourself but a fair few I'd imagine.

Anything that gives prominence to Irish music is a good thing in my books and for the last 4 years the Choice awards have done a brilliant job of highlighting some of the best in Irish music.

This year was no exception; Messiah J and the Expert, R.S.A.G., Halfset and Jape of course will all be given a wider audience because of it and there is nothing at all wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Nolanger wrote: »

Thats very harsh. It's a very credible award, its the Irish equivalent of the Mercurys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

flyswatter wrote: »
    Thats very harsh. It's a very credible award, its the Irish equivalent of the Mercurys.

That's the problem - every idea in this country is "an Irish equivalent" of something else.
    They only started the Choice awards because none of the nominated acts would come close to winning a Mercury award.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

At least 3 of the albums in the Choice this year were better than most of the Merc nominees. That's just this year alone.

Just out of curiosity how many of the album on the list have you listened to?

I like the fact that good irish music is getting publicity. And most of the nominated albums this year are, in fact, very good. I really don't get the hate. Would you rather have yet another boy/girl band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

lordgoat wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate. Would you rather have yet another boy/girl band?

On that topic I really dont get why they had The Script! The rest of the bands were quality tho, was listening to it on Today Fm and was mighty impressed by Jape.

Advertisement