Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours taking wasteland as theirs.

• 05-03-2009 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    House behind us, (over the back wall), and our house are separated by a strip of wasteland about 12 ft wide. He has started chopping down the trees and says that his solicitor told him that it is actually on HIS land. House is over 10 yrs old and only since they moved in last year, has this been found out.

Seems weird that builders would make this mistake? I too have land to side of my house which builders said must remain untouched as there are wires and pipes underneath.

Is there a way of seeing the land registry or where actual boundaries lie for house you have bought.

Thanks,

Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

You can request a hard copy (around €25 i think) of anyones folio details and map via the land registry which is based in Waterford as far as I know. I use their website "land direct" for any queries in relation to maps and folios but you'd need to register and put in a minimum of €100 to use this facility so in your case for a once off, do a quick google search and contact the land registry dept.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

joseph brand,

firstly, make sure you do not ask any questions that may be construed as seeking legal advice... because that would be against forum rules and the thread would be locked.

secondly, a strip of 12' (4 meters) is incredibly difficult to ascertain on a land registry map.

for example, if the map is of a scale of 1:2500... a 4 m strip constitutes 1.6mm... and this strip would need to be measured from a point that you know for certain is on the land registry map... in my experience that can be very difficult if all you have to go by is hedges or drains...

however if the land registry map is 1:1000 you have a better chance of sorting out ownership.

engage a professional... either a surveyor, engineer or architect with experience in these matters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Isn't it better to have this 'waste land' maintained and landscaped than left overgrown with weeds and brambles. Looks to me like you're in danger of making an enemy of your neighbour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Builderfromhell, there's also the risk of that lovely fashion for garden house building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Amalgam wrote: »
    Builderfromhell, there's also the risk of that lovely fashion for garden house building.

Hadn't thought of that. But you could probably object based on title deeds.

In any event, I'm not sure if this is a construction,planning subject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

What ever happened to living in peace, is this bothering you in any way, why not wish him well

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

harly1516 wrote: »
    What ever happened to living in peace, is this bothering you in any way, why not wish him well

this is ireland.... did you ever see 'The Field'..?? ;)

I think the OPs query has been covered in the above posts, so at the risk of someone breaking the rules im closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement