Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for beginning a new build

• 05-03-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

After having serious hassle sorting out our mortgage (as in nearly a year's worth of hassle!!) and, all going well, transfer of the site taking place next week, we are about to start our new house. It's a bungalow, 2700 sq ft with single garage on 3/4 acre site. I've been reading over all these threads and found some great information on them.

What I'd really like to know is if there is anything specific that you would/wouldn't do if doing it all over again. Is there anything you would definitely put in that you overlooked? Is there anything you did that you now wish you hadn't or vice versa?

Basically, I want to exploit your experiences to (hopefully) make the next year of my life a little easier than the last one! :) All and any comments greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

have a look at the stickied thread at the top of the topics listing.....it's title expalins it all:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As Technophobe said, try this and this. Also, if you have any queries during construction, feel free to ask on the live builds thread.

Oh... good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

From a Quantity surveyors Perspective there are three simple rules:

(1) Design, Re-Design, Design & Re-Design until your 100% happy, take time to look at every aspect, every finish and the ranges available. Make sure you see samples of everything and dont go with somone's idea until you have seen it for yourself.

(2) Cost the project down to the penny, dont cost it at an average ft² as it WILL be wrong. Cost everything so you know exactly what your spending, where to cut back and so that there are no suprises. Allow a lump sum of circa 10% for changes that you make as you go through the project. You DONT have to spend this if you design and cost from the start.

(3) Enjoy it, its stressful but you are building the home that you want, the way you want it and every decision you make is for you, so dont be afraid

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Guys

I started a new build this time last year and I brought the house to wall plate. However construction stopped last November so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how long can I leave the house without putting the roof on. I know the weather will probably damage the blockwork/insulation. At this stage I am very concerned about the structure being damaged etc.

So any useful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lightning McQueen

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Guys

I started a new build this time last year and I brought the house to wall plate. However construction stopped last November so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how long can I leave the house without putting the roof on. I know the weather will probably damage the blockwork/insulation. At this stage I am very concerned about the structure being damaged etc.

So any useful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lightning McQueen

contact roadstone (Castleblayney, Co Monaghan 042 974 0026) and ask for their technical section.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that number Syd.

For those who get in a spot of bother the contact name is dave oliver 01-4041200.

He gave sound advice.

Lightning McQueen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Guys could tell me how long can I leave the house without putting the roof on.

Be aware that from 1st July 2009 the new regs (2008 ) regs apply . Now you may not be bound by them if your external walls are complete .
    Get photo evidence of this - dated and singed by a JP .

Just in case certification problems arise later

this thread refers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055500071

OP - get a BER assement done now - by an assesor who is also an very experienced construction professional. Not for the purpose of "getting the cert" - to obtain smart calculated advice

Don't go cheap on this . €500 spent here could save you literally €1000's in avoiding poor decisions ( and therefore making good ones :) )

Do some research on Passiv House . You do not have to have a conventional heating system

Thanks for that but to be honest I have taken on board a lot of the suggestions made by yourself in relation to insulation (150 mm in floor) wrapping the hollowcore slab with the pro-clima membrane, airtightness 3 or better, insulated plasterboard and the method that you suggested in a previous post. Though I am concerned about this whole mould issue.

I was always going to install an air to water heat pump and now I am going to put in micro-hydro turbine and may be triple glazed windows. Thats the plan if I can sell my house??????

Lightning McQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

You need to do more research on these.

Many window suppliers have told me that the extra cost for triple glaze does not make sense.

Turbines are reletively new and the payback is not in them yet. Have you considered Geothermal.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wardwil wrote: »
    You need to do more research on these.

Many window suppliers have told me that the extra cost for triple glaze does not make sense.

Turbines are reletively new and the payback is not in them yet. Have you considered Geothermal.

I have recently seen a quotation where the difference between DG and TG was only 7.5%

A more pertinent question is whether the increased u value is worth the loss in solar gains...

Interesting Syd . Last time I checked about 12 months back I saw a consistent +30% difference in cost for TG .

Perhaps it's another aspect of our changed times

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

get someone recommended. haggle, haggle and haggle some more if your crap at it get someone who is good. it has saved us hundreds so far.

window wish i have quotes from 3 places

double glazing - 11700
    triple glazing - 16,000

we have i think 22 windows

Lads

I obtained quotes within the last 3 months.

Irish Company pvc dg Uw 1.38 €20350
    tg some of the windows €29000

Foreign Cos

TG pvc 1.0 €46000
    0.9 €40000

ALu-clad 0.86 €51000
    0.90 €50600
    1.0 €50000
    1.0 €39000

Timber €31500

So as you can see the investment in dg is very large. Someone had posted a thread here previously comparing a dg to tg window which saved 5kwh/m2/year which made interesting reading. The minimum investment is €2000 extra for timber or €10000 extra for Alu-clad. Can you justify this, well Sinnerboy said previously you should try to buy the best windows you could afford. Everything depends on your budget.

Lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yoltwice

I have just received planning permission for my house and was wondering where is the best place to source quality small construction firms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yoltwice wrote: »
    I have just received planning permission for my house and was wondering where is the best place to source quality small construction firms.
    If you are talking small firms then you should ask about locally and go on recommendations and get a look at previous work done.

Advertisement