Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightbulb broke in socket

Options
  • 05-03-2009 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi just a quick one please.

I was unscrewing the lightbulb on my landing to change it as it blew, but when I was turning it about in the socket, it broke - it may not have been a turn one after all - Im not sure. Its a clean break but the metal bit is left in the socket now. How do I get it out? Im afraid it might be live and I dont know if the light is on or off as its got a switch at top and bottom of stairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

em turn off the power at the consumer unit if you have no access to it i wouldnt worry. use a long nose pliers to turn the ''metal bit'' anti clockwise if its a screw in type bulb or push & twist if its the other

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Thanks. (No need fro the em though) Its stuck inside the white casing bit. And if I put pliers theyre metal, isint that like sticking a fork into a socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

As the previous poster already suggested you must find the main switch box and kill the power to the lights (probably labelled)...to be sure get yourself a phasetester (a screwdriver with a light inside) or some other testing device that you can poke the terminals in the fitting with to test for power....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I didnt use the 'em' to mean anything honestly. em no you're not sticking the pliers into the terminals as they're already engaged by the lightbulb. you're turning the outer edge of the bulbs metal part , no fear of a shock :eek:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Deepsense wrote: »
    Thanks. (No need fro the em though) Its stuck inside the white casing bit. And if I put pliers theyre metal, isint that like sticking a fork into a socket?

Yes it is, that's why you need to find the fuse box. Flick off all the ones for the lights (just in case they are not all properly labled). I was changing a fitting in a landing, and it was on the bedroom spur. You can leave the sockets turned on if you need light from a lamp or something.

• Advertisement

He also said -if you have no access to it i wouldnt worry - that did worry me a bit....until I read your bit about the terminal....and the then Westwoods next response :)

Thanks guys - Ive never changed a bulb on a hanging light. Is there an over all switch that will cut power to the house as there are no labels on the swiches. Stupid questions I know but Im afraid Ill electrocute myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Deepsense wrote: »
    He also said -if you have no access to it i wouldnt worry - that did worry me a bit....until I read your bit about the terminal....and the then Westwoods next response :)

Thanks guys - Ive never changed a bulb on a hanging light. Is there an over all switch that will cut power to the house as there are no labels on the swiches. Stupid questions I know but Im afraid Ill electrocute myself.

Should be an overall switch yes, it usually stands out from the rest :) Test lights around the area too to see that it did kill power....and assuming your pliers is rubber handled you're playing it that bit safer anyway !

Sounds easy enough. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

best time to do this is in the day time, kill all the power in the house as other posters said.

If you are unsure of any thing dont do it, take a picture of the fuseboard (cunsumer unit / MCB boards) and post it here and we'll tell you what switch to turn off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

knock off all 10amp mcbs, these control the light circuits, if it is a modren enough house

• Advertisement
Advertisement