Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballcock problems

Options
  • 05-03-2009 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The water in the toilet cistern is filling up very slowly. I think there is something wrong with the ballcock as I have checked the water pump and it's ok.

It makes no difference if I push the ballcock right down, it still comes out very slowly. It's as if there's a problem with the valve or there's a bit of dirt somewhere?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The plastic type can be easy to fix. Is there water in the ballcock?
    Take the lid off the cistern, flush and check to see if its getting stuck anywhere.
    Might need to change the valve part. Might be a photo of same in an old thread. Not a difficult or expensive DIY job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

RKQ wrote: »
    The plastic type can be easy to fix. Is there water in the ballcock?
    Take the lid off the cistern, flush and check to see if its getting stuck anywhere.
    Might need to change the valve part. Might be a photo of same in an old thread. Not a difficult or expensive DIY job.
    It's not getting stuck. It's just fills very very slowly, as if the water pump isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If it's a plastic ballcock valve then it's probable that the diaphragm is hardened or sticking. Easy to fix if you dismantle the valve, but to do that you will have to turn off the water supply or drain the attic tank if its comes from there. If you have to do that it's just as easy to simply buy a new valve from a DIY store -- they are cheap enough that it's not really worth the bother of fiddling with an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Tie up the ballcock in the attic tank to prevent refilling. Run the cold water in bath and basins.Flush the toilets until tank is drained then open the valve and check for dirt. The diaphragm should be flexible. If the installation is old it is probably best to replace the valve.

p.s. I'm not a plumber but this worked for me.

danjo wrote: »
    Tie up the ballcock in the attic tank to prevent refilling. Run the cold water in bath and basins.Flush the toilets until tank is drained then open the valve and check for dirt. The diaphragm should be flexible. If the installation is old it is probably best to replace the valve.

p.s. I'm not a plumber but this worked for me.

This is an apartment. So I am not sure how I'd do that. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

This is an apartment. So I am not sure how I'd do that. Thanks for your suggestions.

If there's no way to close the water off from the cistern, most tool hire shops offer electrical pipe freezers that can form an ice plug in a copper pipe to temporarily close off the water for long enough for you to fix of replace the valve.

ART6 wrote: »
    If there's no way to close the water off from the cistern, most tool hire shops offer electrical pipe freezers that can form an ice plug in a copper pipe to temporarily close off the water for long enough for you to fix of replace the valve.

There are two taps at the bottom of the water tank, I supsect they might be turn of the water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

the reason the water is not coming out is because the orfice in the balcock is blocked with debris , you need to dismantle the ballcock housing and take out white plastic orfice it s the thing with the small hole in it , very often i come across them all blocked up it will take 10min to do.

Advertisement