Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Big Brother" CCTV in Ennis.

• 05-03-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the recent roll of surveillance CCTV through town. Sophisticated "Ball" cameras that can pan 360, tilt and zoom in have been installed on the Height, Shiels roundabout, Tesco Roundabout, opposite May Carneys. Although these are a great aid for monitoring crime and civil disobedience nevertheless it is Big Brother keeping an eye on you. Will we now see more of the "hoodie" in town, :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

And here I was thinking you were talking about the thing they did in O'Sullivan and Hanisbury a few years ago on Clare FM where there were a load of people in a caravan for a week.

I think some of those cameras were just upgrades of 1s that were there for years and the other ones were in for planning permission last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Clareman wrote: »
    I think some of those cameras were just upgrades of 1s that were there for years and the other ones were in for planning permission last year
    These are a vast improvement on the old ones, they are very accurate and can pick out faces in crowds very clearly, also very good at night, I have seen these the same type used in mobile surveillance vehicles at demonstrations. They are also becoming very popular in Dublin and are replacing some of the earlier installed DCC cams perched up at intersections. I believe last week the Gardai caught lads jumping on a car in Lifford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If it stops some of the hassle that was happening around the place then they can only be a good thing, town was going mad for a while

If it stops some of the hassle that was happening around the place then they can only be a good thing, town was going mad for a while

I agree. it can be a good thing to a point, then it can turn into a London style Orwellian society with CCTV / ANPR installed at almost every street corner. In the UK soon all pubs, off licences and night clubs must have CCTV failure to comply will result in a revoked license, Ireland will no doubt follow.

That is true, I would be worried about things being used for more uses than what it's worth, then again, I was caught on CCTV before in a compromising situation with a girl before, her father wasn't too impressed, but that's a whole new conversation.

If it stops some scumbag knifing another scumbag then all well and good, if it gets me a fine for parking somewhere I shouldn't have, stone them :)

• Advertisement

That is true, I would be worried about things being used for more uses than what it's worth, then again, I was caught on CCTV before in a compromising situation with a girl before, her father wasn't too impressed, but that's a whole new conversation.

If it stops some scumbag knifing another scumbag then all well and good, if it gets me a fine for parking somewhere I shouldn't have, stone them :)
    It will only move the scum elsewhere to carry out their antisocial activities out of view if these, eventually more CCTV will be installed to these locations and so on until there is no where to hide from them.

Once installed these cameras can be loaded with the latest software and upgraded to read number plates ANPR, they can also be programmed to monitor predictive or suspect movements of individuals. http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=671

Another point against too much CCTV is that if you were spotted with someone that got involved in crime, could you be "guilty by association" because you were seen with the individual.

Don't forget that if your spotted in CCTV while a crime is being committed that you'll have to give evidence in court, not always a nice thing to have to do

Don't forget that if your spotted in CCTV while a crime is being committed that you'll have to give evidence in court, not always a nice thing to have to do
    Exactly, or if there was a serious crime committed, anyone seen in the vicinity on CCTV would be identified and rounded up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

If this keeps our daughters safe from Clareman then this can only be a good thing.

Not really sure where I stand on these cameras. If your in public then I think being filmed is probably alright. Everybody has camera phones now anyway. I'm not really well versed in the downsides however. Maybe I need to have another crack at reading 1984.

Thanks Blitz, I think :)

The more and more we become a technology driven people the more and more big brother is going to have control over us, but if it means I can post this while having a cuppa on the coach waiting for Lost to start then it's all good I guess, now where did I leave those biscuits, I wonder if Google can tell me

• Advertisement

Where are my biscuits?

Hmm.. they're responding to ping... seem to be right here. Can't see them though.

Oh yeah, thats right I ate them.

Anyway, I think the main problem with the world now is we have serious information overload. There's so much stuff out there it can be hard to filter it down and work out what's important. Of course the dodgy bastards in world banks and governments are thriving and getting more and more effective at confusing and disorientating us.

I used to work as a Network Administrator, so I had access to everything people looked at on line and all their email, anything that happened electronically I had access to, as I used to say, unless I've something to look for I'm not going to bother, there just too much information, so unless they want to track you down they won't bother (I hope)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I think we need to get Jim Corr on the case after this sinister development. Big Brother is REAL....

http://www.jimcorr.com/

You have to feel sorry for Jim, he's not really on the same planet really is he?

Hey, stop slagging Jim Corr to draw attention away from his highly credible views.

Hey, stop slagging Jim Corr to draw attention away from his highly credible views.
    We have others like him but closer to home. :)

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=654

The only credible view he has is of his sister's arses from the back of the stage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

The only credible view he has is of his sister's arses from the back of the stage :D
    :D +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Millies

there's been cctv in Ennis for nearly ten years now, around the market area and down o'connell street for sure and I'm fairly sure around the height

Millies wrote: »
    there's been cctv in Ennis for nearly ten years now, around the market area and down o'connell street for sure and I'm fairly sure around the height
    Those were ancient compared to the next generation and would be like comparing a P3 to a Quad Core PC.

• Advertisement

You do mean it'd be like comparing an Information Age Town PC to.... well, a decent PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Millies

Well that was ten years ago too :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

If it stops some scumbag knifing another scumbag then all well and good

i disagree

You do mean it'd be like comparing an Information Age Town PC to.... well, a decent PC
    Yes thats about the vintage of those cameras, most don't even pan and tilt never mind zooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

I presumed that his site was a pisstake ! Unfortunately Not !
    Years of people asking him is he out with any of his sisters must have eventually pushed him over the edge !

Advertisement