Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whelans and flash

• 05-03-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭

I'm meant to photograph some band soon in Whelans, if memory serves me right, the lighting is reasonable and won't need flash .... is my memory right ...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi,
    i shot a gig there recently enough without a flash and the images can be seen here: http://www.thedeadflags.com/HTML/Home.htm (the live photos of the band wearing yellow t-shirts in the 'look' section of the site). i think the lighting is gameball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Once you have something with a wide ap and fast you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Really depends on where the gig is. Downstairs(orig venue) I don't know about. Upstairs is pretty bad for light. I was in there this day last week and I had to use my flash for the whole gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

hi,
    i shot a gig there recently enough without a flash and the images can be seen here: http://www.thedeadflags.com/HTML/Home.htm (the live photos of the band wearing yellow t-shirts in the 'look' section of the site). i think the lighting is gameball

When I seen Deadflags in the link I thought "mmmm this could be decent"
    After all there were Punk bands called
    Dead Kennedys
    Dead Boys
    Black Flag
    White Flag
    Dead Milkmen
    Dead Mans Shadow

Alas it was something quite different.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

if you know the band why not go in at their sound chechk with a flash and get some photos then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thanks all - different opinions - i think it will be okay without, i hate flash, kills atmosphere for me - high iso i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I shot upstiars last week with my D3 and D2Hs. Shot the D3 at 3200 ISO....it is quite dark up there but the colours of the lights are quite intense. I haven't uploaded them yet. I shot about 800-1000 ISO on the D2Hs and they were fine. The stage is more lit or was) more lit from one side than the other so be prepared for a big change in exposure from one side to the other and dark shadows. You've got the D300 right??? You should be fine without flash. I was using the Nikon 50mm 1.4 and the Nikon 80-200 2.8 and got results I'm happy with. I'll try to post them later i fI get the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Also if you have time take some test shots to see if you will get away with a high enough shutter speed with a usable iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Here are some shots form upstairs on the D3 at 3200 ISO from both sides of the stage:

3332447177_d1ec2097a6.jpg

3333222586_662a6c430b.jpg

Colour one is damned impressive.

• Advertisement

thanks pete, colour one is excellent - i have d300, which goes to about iso 2000 , but really 1,600 max - anyway i'm not bringing flash - hopefully get some atmosphere, and maybe some sharpness

thanks all, the lighting was pretty awfull, but got this one which band hopefully like - the flash didn't work right !

3333596137_5a2ed9758b.jpg

I'll have a set up on pix.ie later of Britains finest mod band

Secret Affair!
    I remember them...
    "This is the time, time for action"

Advertisement