Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trim castle hotel email

Options
  • 05-03-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi all

i just got an email from Trim Castle Hotel with EVERYONE else email on their mailing list including mine, i am annoyed that nealry 1000 others could have all my data. has anyone else got this? I have emailed them they just said sorry

sorry if in wrong thread please move if so

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

sorry, are you just annoyed that your email adress went to 1,000 people or is there something else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

forward that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

sorry, are you just annoyed that your email adress went to 1,000 people or is there something else ?
    i am annoyed my email went to 1000 people or more and that I could be spammed by anyone of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

you may have a case for data protection violation but I'm not sure if it would stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mynameis.. wrote: »
    1000 others could have all my data.

Being a bit dramatic, no?

What exactly did you use in the body of your email address? your name, address, cc numbers and pin?

Theres not much they can do for you in the way of compensation that could correct the mistake. Unless your just looking for free stuff, I think an appology is fine.

• Advertisement

why do u presume if im worried over this im looking to free load?
    thats not the case, i have only just got my laptop fixed after having a series of viruses through email to my computer so i am worried and i gave my info in good faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭minime1

I got this as well & i'm very annoyed too over it. So unprofessional!

And just to add it wasn't just one email it was three in succession. One about an offer & two then to retract the offer, all three with everyones email addresses on full display.

i just checked my email acount and to be sure there was another one (they seem to be only coming in now even though the time is 13:40 or thereabouts)

why do u presume if im worried over this im looking to free load?

Where did I say you were looking to free load? Read it again, including the punctuation. Although it doesnt seem like it on boards most of the time, punctuation (and the word unless) is actually very important and can change the meaning and/or context of a sentence.

At the end of the day, outsid eof appologising, theres not much they can do . They cant unsend emails. They can just make sure it doesnt happen again and appologise to the people affected.

• Advertisement

because in what you said "unless your looking for free stuff, i think an apology is fine" is actually making the presumption that if i dont accept the apology i am obviously looking for free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LOL. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't do a "reply to all" message telling them to "f**k off", or a rick-roll site.

the_syco wrote: »
    LOL. I'd be surprised if someone doesn't do a "reply to all" message telling them to "f**k off", or a rick-roll site.

Mmmmm good idea:D:D:D

/joking

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

just reply-all and say how un-prefessional it is blady blah.
    on the virus thing buy a mac :-)

dont worry about the mail. surely the list of trim castle are hardly agressive spammers....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nealry 1000 others could have all my data.
    If "all your data" is only your email address you must have an easy job backing it all up!

Now if you emailed them your CC number etc, and they somehow replied to you and 1000 others at the same time it would certainly be an issue.

Just block them now. I use gmail, get feck all spam, and when I block people they stay blocked.
    on the virus thing buy a mac :-)
    AHHH, the cure is worse than the disease!

Just received this email back after complaining

Good Afternoon

The message has been recalled and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Your name has been removed from the listing.

Regards

just got another one of the same emails again from earlier today but there still coming in.
    why would it be any use to remove you from list now?

I replied back that while I can understand the mistake human error & all. But why the need to send three emails & what is the point of removing my name now?

because in what you said "unless your looking for free stuff, i think an apology is fine" is actually making the presumption that if i dont accept the apology i am obviously looking for free stuff.

So wht else would you like then? If an appology isnt good enough and you dont want free stuff. They cant go back in time. Doesnt leave much else.

checked email this morning have now 30 unread messages of the same kind from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

hi all

i just got an email from Trim Castle Hotel with EVERYONE else email on their mailing list including mine, i am annoyed that nealry 1000 others could have all my data. has anyone else got this? I have emailed them they just said sorry

sorry if in wrong thread please move if so

I got the same thing before from Mona Lisa Restaurant - about 600 e-mail addresses. Shortly after that I started gettng a ton of spam, which i never had before. It's my work address so most of it gets blocked, but it's annoying. Mailed them to complain, they did the same thhing again a few months later. Seemed to cop on after that though and bcc'd people. Put me off going there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the_syco wrote: »

I';ve seen this happen before, its bloody annoying,
    If the hotel sent an e-mail where everyone can see everyone else e-mail then thats bang out of order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The people trvialising this haven't a clue. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience and it's hardly going to result in identity theft, however the simple fact of the matter if this is true is that Trim Castle broke the law in sending the email in that way, and their incompetence needs to be highlighted somewhere to stop other companies doing the same, or worse. This is as good a place as any to do it.

Next time it might be you, and it might not just be your email address, it could be your credit card data or access to even bigger datasets.

adam

dahamsta wrote: »
    The people trvialising this haven't a clue. Yes, it's a minor inconvenience and it's hardly going to result in identity theft, however the simple fact of the matter if this is true is that Trim Castle broke the law in sending the email in that way, and their incompetence needs to be highlighted somewhere to stop other companies doing the same, or worse. This is as good a place as any to do it.

Next time it might be you, and it might not just be your email address, it could be your credit card data or access to even bigger datasets.

adam

what law is it?

what law is it?
    I linked to the Data Protection Commissioner's website, I assumed people would be able to figure it out from there...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/act/pub/0025/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Someone it the wrong button. It happens.
    Next time it might be you, and it might not just be your email address

But it was just your mail addy. Stop trying to build it up. Jesus, the drama.

Here's an example of the kind of thing that happens when Joe Public gets complacent about Data Protection:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/06/138200&from=rss
    Deepsense wrote: »
    BCC isn't a button, it's a field. And if the person can't use an email client properly, they shouldn't be in charge of mailshots.
    It wasn't my email address. I'm not the OP. I have a different username and everything.

If you don't mind your email address being distributed then that's your business, but when someone speaks up to complain about it happening to them, that's their business, and their right.

Trivialising it is damaging. Not a lot, but it's a slippery slope.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also worth giving their hoster a shout. hosting365.ie

It's very likely to be contrary to their Acceptable Usage Policy. There are ISPs out there who tarball the mail shot after say 20 addresses. I wonder did that happen in this case.

Deepsense wrote: »

as i said before i have more than 30 emails from this with all the email addresses, once i could ignore not 30 times

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Also worth giving their hoster a shout. hosting365.ie

It's very likely to be contrary to their Acceptable Usage Policy. There are ISPs out there who tarball the mail shot after say 20 addresses. I wonder did that happen in this case.

what do you mean by tarball?

Advertisement