Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do british citizens have an automatic right to vote in irish Dail elections

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Before this get locked I just want to make an on-topic point.

For British Citizens to vote here they need to be resident here, afaik. Its same vica versa - if I was resident in England I could vote there.

SO far from the "brits" taking over us, its actually just the people who are livng in Ireland get to vote. Shock horror that someone living here would actually be represented.

The way some people talked here youd think the black and tans manned the polling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

There is evidence, archaeological and annalistic that we oppressed them far longer than them us. Look up the etymology of Scotland, it means the land of the Irish.

No, there isn't. Clearly Ireland didnt "occupy" anywhere since the nation did not exist until 1921, Scotland was influenced by Irish culture but there was no genocides, or mass killings ( that is never the case before the modern age) Irish taking of slaves ended with Patrick ( although our Viking friends ran slave markets in Dublin), and the Welsh ( properly the Britons) had a lot more to fear from the Anglo Saxons. not that they were genocidal either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

This a question to unionists

I have wondered about this for a while i want to know what/why do you's have such a big obsession for maintaining the union..... What is the big deal about the mainland ?

I cant fathom it i really cant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

asdasd wrote: »
    No, there isn't. Clearly Ireland didnt "occupy" anywhere since the nation did not exist until 1921, Scotland was influenced by Irish culture but there was no genocides, or mass killings ( that is never the case before the modern age) Irish taking of slaves ended with Patrick ( although our Viking friends ran slave markets in Dublin), and the Welsh ( properly the Britons) had a lot more to fear from the Anglo Saxons. not that they were genocidal either.

Typical Shinner response, I'll say no more, this thread seems to be going nowhere and will probably be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I'm sad to see you're living in the past

About 1798 or before I would say.

• Advertisement

luckyfrank wrote: »
    This a question to unionists

I have wondered about this for a while i want to know what/why do you's have such a big obsession for maintaining the union..... What is the big deal about the mainland ?

I cant fathom it i really cant

I may be wrong but its probably something to do with the old slogan Home rule being Rome rule and to keep themselves intact and undiluted as Protestants/loyalists they have to be linked to the mainland.

Typical Shinner response, I'll say no more, this thread seems to be going nowhere and will probably be locked.

Hilarious. I am far from a shinner. Read my previous post where I disagree with the OP.

I gave the actually history of Ireland, and Britain which made your manufactured "we invaded them and wiped them out" history seem very foolish indeed.

To make you look even more foolish I am now going to post a link to the history of the part of Scotland which was influenced by Irish Culture, the Dal Riatha,where you will find that there is a common culture between north eastern Ireland and Scotland going back centuries. In fact some historians think Gaelic originated simultaneously there and here.

Clearly there is no Gaelic influence on Wales, and England. Although I doubt you could find either on the map given your "understanding" of history.

Feel free in future to actually research history before you post "historical" posts.

Home rule being Rome rule and to keep themselves intact and undiluted as Protestants/loyalists they have to be linked to the mainland.

They want to be contected to their nation-state, just as (many) Catholics would like to be united in Ireland. Of course they look to the UK, the UK is the reason they are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

because of the uk we can't join the schengen zone..seriously **** off uk out of ireland, i absolutely despise that country so much.

asdasd wrote: »
    They want to be contected to their nation-state, just as (many) Catholics would like to be united in Ireland. Of course they look to the UK, the UK is the reason they are there.

But can they not retain these cultures and traditions within the land they came to and in todays terms they have more incommen with us in the south than those over the water

If a unionist can cheer on a united irish rugby team and be passionate about ireland as a whole as two peoples and cultures coming together as one what is stoping us from seeing progress on politcal front

• Advertisement

acontadino wrote: »
    because of the uk we can't join the schengen zone..seriously **** off uk out of ireland, i absolutely despise that country so much.

Your a sad man if you have nothing constructive to say say nothing at all

But can they not retain these cultures and traditions within the land they came to and in todays terms they have more incommen with us in the south than those over the water

If a unionist can cheer on a united irish rugby team and be passionate about ireland as a whole as two peoples and cultures coming together as one what is stoping us from seeing progress on politcal front

To my mind things and perceptions have changed fro the better and will continue to with most but the hardliners. We are no longer priest ridden in the south and more open as a society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

TomRooney wrote: »
    does anyone know why british citizens have a right to vote in our general elections, it kinda gives the impression we never realy gained independance, but where just granted the right to say we are independant without truly being so.

in my opinion nobody from a foriegn country should have a right to vote in irish general elections. unless of course they become Irish citizens.

just had a brainwave to write a sit com, like an Irish version of Alf Garnett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

how come? last I heard, Ireland is free to do whatever it likes.

turgon wrote: »
    Before this get locked I just want to make an on-topic point.

For British Citizens to vote here they need to be resident here, afaik. Its same vica versa - if I was resident in England I could vote there.

SO far from the "brits" taking over us, its actually just the people who are livng in Ireland get to vote. Shock horror that someone living here would actually be represented.

The way some people talked here youd think the black and tans manned the polling stations.

exactly. British citizens can vote if they are resident, in all elections apart from referendums.

It's not like Nigel from Birmingham can nip over, vote for screaming lord such and nip home again. (Although Screaming Lord Such would be a massive improvement on the current shower).

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    To my mind things and perceptions have changed fro the better and will continue to with most but the hardliners. We are no longer priest ridden in the south and more open as a society.

as demonstrated in the following posts? ;)
    the "special" relationship you speak of consists of the british government invading our land by force, murdering thousands of innocents over centurys of occupation, raping our land, women, economy, culture, the least they could do is give us free travel to there country after 800 years of oppression, not to mention they still occupy the north eastern part of our country with 5000 thousand british troops.

if you think this is "cool" then God help us all.
    because a few miles away the briitish government drew up artificial boundrys, around 4 majority unionist countys and 2 nationalist countys, thus creating a gerrymandered illegal statelet.

no Republican has a problem with unionists calling themselves british, they do however have a problem with unionists claiming any part of Ireland to be British.

Would you support a united ireland fred ?

Does anybody know a unionist forum or chatroom i could go to if so could you please PM one thanks

Would you support a united ireland fred ?

If that is what people want then I'd support it. I am not fussed either way tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There's a proposal to tighten up border controls between Ireland and the UK. It's not because of the UK at all that we can't join the Schengen zone....

Who cares anyway ? what have you got to gain from it?
    how come? last I heard, Ireland is free to do whatever it likes.

When Ireland became a free state in 1922 there was no law written to state that you needed a passport to travel between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and NI and Eire.

In 1997 ROI wrote a law that meant you needed photo identification at border controls.

At present there is a "common travel zone"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-abroad/freedom-of-movement-within-the-eu/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_UK
    T runner wrote: »
    Its a fair question that nobody has really answered yet.

While there is a border in this country there will always be "traditionally close links" to Britain as described as the reason for the voting rights in that linked document.

Answer is that we cant be independant from Britain while there is a border in Ireland.

Perhaps this was something that should have been updated in recent agreements to allow NI residents to vote here and vice versa (asssembly elections) while excluding Britain? May have made it slightly more sensicle.

The farcical situation at present where Northern Ireland is currently the region of the UK performing best economically because of their current parasitic position in Ireland yet again makes a nonsense of having a border in such a small country.

While you have a border in Ireland you will have anomalies like foreigners allowed vote here and economic inbalances due to seperate currencies in an island the size of Scotland.

Anyone replying with 'chip on the shoulder' comments to this clearly doesnt have a strong enough argument to refute in any reasonable or fair way.

We can't be independant from Britain unless you want to leave the 6counties behind. And there's plenty of people who've killed, died and complained for decades for that not to happen.
    It's not really a "fair" question as such... there's no need for the question. It's been answered.

What do you mean about Scotland ? Scotland isn't an island. It's very close in technical terms to being it's own country. It's got it's own bank, it's own laws (and history of Scot's Law and Common Laws) and they've their own parliament and can pass their own laws.

Enough with the Britain bashing. I think it's actually pretty cool that we have such a close relationship with them. We get benefits from it, they do too, it's all cool.

I agree. There's a very nihilitic moronic attitude attached to this , along the lines of the "brits out" rubbish that we had for years...

Fact is Ireland for the last 15 years has been a part of globalisation. It's a bit late to start whinging about the tired old patriotism nonsense.
    Ireland has it's own head of state - The President - and can impliment any rules and laws and do whatever it wants within the 26 counties. As for the other 6, this is where the "close relationship" comes in.
    I have voted in British general elections since I came here. I also believe British citizens can vote in their own general election when living abroad (certain time period). Irish citizens cannot and if they do not live in the UK, they are effectively disenfranshied from voting in any general election.

How exactly do you go about it ? Do you have to be residing in the UK for a certain period before you can vote in elections? What elections can you actually vote in ? Do you need to provide a passport to prove your nationality ?

UK citizens can only vote in certain elections here, I can't remember which ... perhaps they can't vote in presidential elections ? Not sure...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UK peeps have vote in all except Presidential and Referendums, other EU can vote in local elections I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I have voted in British general elections since I came here. I also believe British citizens can vote in their own general election when living abroad (certain time period). Irish citizens cannot and if they do not live in the UK, they are effectively disenfranshied from voting in any general election.

Sure, Irish citizens can't even vote in general elections unless they're actually voting where they live sure they can't ? Isn't that why Berty had the last General Election on a thursday so that students from the countryside living in Dublin were left out of the loop ?

...or did I missread the memo/news report ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK people, enough. Thread's more all over the place than a randy octopus and I'm not a microsurgeon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement