Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apply for PSNI & having a child

• 05-03-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have just filled in my application for the PSNI Recruitment drive and I was just wondering is there anybody whom is applying or is in the PSNI who are from the republic and have children,
    1. how did you find relocating with a child?
    2. how did you find the training with having a child in the republic

My child is 11 and I was hoping that if I got a position I could still maybe drive home to the south so I dont have to relocate just yet.

just looking for advice, hope someone can help

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Merseyside

Hi Rhonda,

Unless you're based around the border area and live relatively close to the border in the south it wouldn't be practical.

You couldn't bring your PPW into the south either.

Nothing worse than a 12-14 hour shift and then a 2 hour drive home. Especially if you're in the next day.

Sorry to rain on your parade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

If you live reasonably close and are willing to travel i'm sure it would be ok, but as mersyside said if your doing a 12-14 hour day then long drive home, long drive back early in morning it could leave you very tired for your training after a while. And sorry to thread hijack but i didnt think you would get a ppw until you had passed out? i am prob wrong though! lol

nickni wrote: »
    but i didnt think you would get a ppw until you had passed out? i am prob wrong though! lol

Sorry, but you are wrong.

Recruits from certain areas have been issued PPW's early in training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

Merseyside wrote: »
    Sorry, but you are wrong.

Recruits from certain areas have been issued PPW's early in training.

no need to apoligise lol i just thought the firearms training was part of the 10 weeks after garnerville,i just assumed you wouldnt get one until then, but i suppose some people from high risk areas probably need them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭1979SD

Suprised as well, as like nicky said - firearms are not touched untill the second phase of training??
    Is it mandatory to take your ppw home? sure its been answered before but cannot remember?
    Also whats the standard issue within the psni?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

1979SD wrote: »
    Suprised as well, as like nicky said - firearms are not touched untill the second phase of training??
    Is it mandatory to take your ppw home? sure its been answered before but cannot remember?

The standard issue is a glock 17. They also use MP5's in certain situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

jclegs wrote: »
    The standard issue is a glock 17. They also use MP5's in certain situations.

i bet the glock 17 has just been googled about 30 times! i did!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

1979SD wrote: »

You do have to take your firearm home with you. It has to be locked away in a gun cabinet as far as I know. Your gun-your responsibilty. My dog hates guns, shes really going to love me if i get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

You do have to take your firearm home with you. It has to be locked away in a gun cabinet as far as I know. Your gun-your responsibilty. My dog hates guns, shes really going to love me if i get in.

How do you know your dog hates guns? cause its not like you'll be blastin your tin of dog food open with it every day!?!

You could however use a dog to lick your fingerprints off a gun, if you didnt have a cloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

I dont think you have to take it home with you, I think its optional, and, if you live in the Republic you definitely cannot take it home with you, so it needs to stay secured at the station. Open to correction...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Canuck4PSNI

Ali08 wrote: »
    How do you know your dog hates guns? cause its not like you'll be blastin your tin of dog food open with it every day!?!

You could however use a dog to lick your fingerprints off a gun, if you didnt have a cloth.

A lil peanut butter would do wonders to commit a little destruction of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Dont be so silly - of course you dont have to take it home with you. What happens if you have children or as in this case live outside the north? What do you just bury it under a tree at the border? Its not always going to be practible and im sure provisions are in place for such circumstances.
    Also, hate to go off topic but how can your dog hate guns??

Dont be so silly - of course you dont have to take it home with you. What happens if you have children or as in this case live outside the north? What do you just bury it under a tree at the border? Its not always going to be practible and im sure provisions are in place for such circumstances.

Ok I stand corrected. I know a few officers who take theirs home so I was making assumptions going by what they do regarding their firearm. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Ali08

Thanks TV for asking this question again....at first I was just like wot the hell, but now I am genuinely intrigued at the thought of a dog looking at a gun and goin "ahhhh put it away...I hate you".

PYG we need answers.

Guns aren't really related to the 'Apply for PSNI and having a child' thread now is it. Tune in on the General thread for answers folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

nickni wrote: »
    If you live reasonably close and are willing to travel i'm sure it would be ok, but as mersyside said if your doing a 12-14 hour day then long drive home, long drive back early in morning it could leave you very tired for your training after a while. And sorry to thread hijack but i didnt think you would get a ppw until you had passed out? i am prob wrong though! lol[/q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 everhopefull

I have a random querie (did i spell that right?:eek:)
    What would happen if someone were to find out they were expecting a baby sometime during the whole application process?
    I realise that in theory a person cant be discriminated aganst for their sex or the fact that they have kids etc but would it be possible to deferr or put off a medical etc for that reason?
    Im not up the duff :P but we've been thinking about starting a family recently and was just wondering what the story is. Im guessing you couldnt go into training etc.
    Maybe you could answer this one psni?
    Thanks (i realise im way ahead of myself here on the baby front and on the getting past the ist front also!!:()

What would happen if someone were to find out they were expecting a baby sometime during the whole application process?
    I realise that in theory a person cant be discriminated aganst for their sex or the fact that they have kids etc but would it be possible to deferr or put off a medical etc for that reason?
    Im not up the duff :P but we've been thinking about starting a family recently and was just wondering what the story is. Im guessing you couldnt go into training etc.
    Thanks (i realise im way ahead of myself here on the baby front and on the getting past the ist front also!!:()

The student officer phase at Garnerville involves some pyshical exercise and then you have your P.S.P. and possibly public order training.

Being pregnant or just having given birth would make these much more difficult.

Any girls I knew to be pregnant had already completed their student phase and were immediately taken off front line duties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Sometime after you pass your medical, you get a letter that says something like: 'If there are any changes to your personal circumstances that were not in your initial application, you must tell us or it could affect the outcome of your application.' If you get invited to training, you get another similar letter.

If you do not tell them about your pregnancy, they have every right to dispense with your services, not because you are pregnant, but because you didn't tell them about the change in your personal circumstances - which would raise questions about your honesty.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks psni! :)
    Just one more Q...what would happen if you got called for a medical and were pregnant? Would you fail it?
    Im really over thinking things here!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's not as black-and-white as you make it out. There are questions that would need to be asked in order to make such a determination. All I would advise is to be honest at all times, because if you're not and they discover something, you have no defence. If you become pregnant or already are pregnant, simply let them know as soon as you do.

Thanks again psni!

Maybe we'll put the baby making on hold until i know about what stage i get to in the selection process (im thinking when i fail i guess!!).

I havent even done my ist yet!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aussiebec

Hi All!
    I have a little one (just started school) and I will be living over there on my own with him, not sure at this stage whether he should stay in England with his dad for the duration of training (if I were successful in getting in). Does anyone know how it goes being a single parent & the shift work, etc, involved?

Cheers!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Aussiebec wrote: »
    Hi All!
    I have a little one (just started school) and I will be living over there on my own with him, not sure at this stage whether he should stay in England with his dad for the duration of training (if I were successful in getting in).

PSNI should be able to say whether this is true or not but I would imagine you live on campus in GV so it would not be possible to have your child with you during training

The first 4 weeks are residential in Garnerville, which is mandatory. They do let the odd person out of this, but only in rare circumstances, and they require a lot of evidence. You would still have to be there for morning drill, show parades and so on. If you've had a late night the night before, it actually works out better to stay there because you'll get some sleep!

Not sure about your question on shift work. Can you be a little more specific?
    Aussiebec wrote: »
    Hi All!
    I have a little one (just started school) and I will be living over there on my own with him, not sure at this stage whether he should stay in England with his dad for the duration of training (if I were successful in getting in). Does anyone know how it goes being a single parent & the shift work, etc, involved?

Cheers!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

Maybe we'll put the baby making on hold until i know about what stage i get to in the selection process (im thinking when i fail i guess!!).

I havent even done my ist yet!:pac:[/quote]

As Im sure youve realised by reading the posts its a V long process. Just keep practising hon. (For the IST of course)

hee hee hee.

practice makes perfect eh?:P

Advertisement