Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for a Cork '09 Sub 3

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Gringo ...sounds like you def enjoyed the experience and learned from it,which is all you can do.
    3:26 is no disgrace in that heat,just shows on a cooler day and better training,you would have been much closer to 3:10...the heat is a killer,i could barely endure it while sitting out the back let alone run 26.2m

So,well done again and enjoy the refueling :D but dont rush back running even if you feel good,i have not run a marathon yet,but,give yourself a chance

Top report by the way...good to get the detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Gringo78 wrote: »
    7 7:33 1.00

One thing I forgot to put in the race report...split for mile 7 above is a bit skewed from otherwise consitent pacing of around 7:10 to 7:20. Had to stop for a quick p*ss at around 6.5 miles. A bit too much race prehydration!

heffsarmy wrote: »
    I done the Edinburgh marathon the day before myself, heat was a killer just like Cork.

the heat didn't stop you from posting an amazing Sub 3 in those conditions.....well done, fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done gringo78 , positive attitude commendable , obviously enjoyed it and a good learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Great effort Gringo.
    You certainly seemed pleased and recovered when we met you after the race yesterday.
    3:26 is a bloody good time. And when you beat it, you won't do so easily.
    The most important thing you should have learned yesterday was how you felt at miles 18 - 20. This feeling cannot be replicated in training and can only be experienced when you run a marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Gringo, fantastic time and with those conditions aswell, I possibly got a shot of you,so check out my flickr. Excellent time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done Gringo, 3.26 is a great time in yesterday's heat. You were a few minutes ahead of me but i might have seen you at some stage.

I found out more about running and training for a marathon yesterday than you can ever read about. I hope you'll make your target in the next marathon you do. And i also hope its cooler:D

3.5 miles @8:10 pace this morning, First run back after marathon and all was ok, no niggles and felt good. Took it very easy.

Have had just the one run since the marathon and may take me a while to get back into the running...my recovery from the marathon coincides nicely with the OH having had our first child last Friday so running on hold for the moment. I think I'll wrap this log up and consign it to the Archives. Original title of the log was a bit ambitious but I think if I build on the base over the summer I may be starting a new marathon training thread next January with a similar title and making a better attempt at the marathon training.

The log was a great idea....for me anyway, it kept me honest in training i.e by not writing down the miles you tend to forget the bad weeks and exagerate the good weeks and fool yourself into thinking you're doing enough.

My training really only started post Ballycotton 10 as I had been plagued by injury up until that point. I had 12 weeks to train for the marathon and I only put in 7 >30 mile weeks and only 6 weeks where I trained at least 5 days....not good enough for a marathon. Yet if i was to look back with rose tinted glasses I'd say, 'Yeah, I put plenty of training in'. The log don't lie though.

Next year I will look back at things and if I am to achieve my goals I will need to do the following:

-keep a log
    -16-18 week program hitting >40 miles every week (from a good base prior to starting into that).
    -Need to run at least 5 days a week.
    -2 week taper is all I require not 3 week (other people maybe require 3 week, others 1 week but 2 weeks is loads for me).
    -Have to get the long runs in - need 5 @ 20 or greater. Need to run them by heart rate rather than pace - 160bpm building up to 165/168bpm for the last 2 or 3.
    -168bpm is roughly the right HR for me to maintain in a marathon
    -need to get the energy drinks/gels into me from 13/14 miles in the marathon so that they are available as energy by miles 18/19/20

Goals for the rest of the summer/autumn will be 5k to 5 mile races during the summer, Cork HM in Sept and Cork to Cobh 15 miler in Oct. With the HM and 15 miler in mind, I'll try to keep a weekly long run of 15 miles going. I think I appreciate more the importance of the long run for any kind of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

congrats on the new arrival
    just as well got marathon in beforehand cause you prob wont have the time or the energy for a while. Best of luck their amazing :)
    Well done on the log and all and hopefully wee will see you round these parts again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Congrats also. really enjoyed the log. happy running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I enjoyed your log, congrats on the baby and look forward to reading your new log in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on the baby and the marathon achievement.
    A June you'll never forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Congrats on the baby and the marathon achievement.
    A June you'll never forget!

+1, a june you'll never forget. An incredible live changing experience that made you realise what life was really all about...and a new baby! :). Enjoy every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done on the new arrival. Must be a future runner as they waited until you had the marathon out of the way!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Must be a future runner as they waited until you had the marathon out of the way!

I think he's a future runner alright but I'm not allowed pressurise the kid so early in life....whats a good age to start them training at? I suppose core exercise work until they can walk and then build up the distance by max 10% a week?

Seres wrote: »
    just as well got marathon in beforehand cause you prob wont have the time or the energy for a while.

I think switching to early morning running back in March will stand me in good stead now....I hated getting out of bed in the morning but I'm not so bad now after 3 months of dragging myself out voluntarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I think switching to early morning running back in March will stand me in good stead now....I hated getting out of bed in the morning but I'm not so bad now after 3 months of dragging myself out voluntarily.

it works the other way too, you'll now have a constant supply of vaseline, wipes and sudocream...

Advertisement