Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Website Desigh Help

• 05-03-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a bit of help please if anyone can..

I'm looking at setting up a website but I have never set one up before...

The website is for an idea i had, it will basically be a tourism help website and i hope to try and get a few advertisers onboard as well...

Does any know the best way to set up a decent website cheaply, I don't want to pay hundreds of euro if it's avoidable...

I look forward to hearing your helpful ideas...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

dont bother honestly. You don't want to spend even hundreds, and you want to sell advertising on the site? you've already failed, think of something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Sites cost thousands these days not hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Sorry, should have re-phrased that...
    Not looking at advertisers now or even in the near future...Was only thinking about it if the website was to become successful...
    Really just want to know how to set one up....
    Anyone got any suggestions
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 linkedin09

noobaloo.com seem to be quite cheap. Better than going about doing it yourself trust me!

Software such as dreamweaver is expensive as well as choosing the right hosting packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

I'll sort it out for you for a very very low price. PM me for more info and links to sites I've done.

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

linkedin09 wrote: »
    Better than going about doing it yourself trust me!

I think he should do it himself,not because a professional wouldn't do a better job, but because if you want to get involved in running a website you have to start somewhere and need to learn from your mistakes. As a one man venture if you do not have control or at least a decent understanding of how your website was designed in the first place, it can lead to problems later when you wish to update it.

btw I learned this to my cost. A couple of years ago I had my own 'hobby' website which made me about €6K in it's second year from advertising. I had created this site using Dreamweaver but I wasn't totally happy with some elements so I got more ambitious and got a professional website developer to re-design it, he did a good job, but he designed it using TypePad. I knew nothing about Typepad before this, the site was supposedly meant to be easier for me to update, but I found it cumbersome and I didn't always know what I was doing, and for some reason I just could never get into Typepad, whereas I knew my away around Dreamweaver pretty well. If I had my time back again, I would not have hired a third party to do it as I ended up losing interest in the site and ended up spending my time on other things. To this day I keep meaning to go back and revamp the site myself.

Getting back to the OP, when last I was thinking about doing a website, I was looking into using a Content Management System called Joomla. It seemed pretty user-friendly. That was aboout 9 months ago, things change so fast these days that there might be much better options available now.

Edit: Actually just looking at this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055492416&highlight=joomla
    it seems that joomla is still highly recommended.

Edit: Though on the other hand joomla comes in for a lot of flak, especially in regards to security in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055472728&highlight=joomla

All the differing opinions is something that can stop you in your tracks sometimes. One person will swear by the likes of joomla and another won't touch it with a bargepole

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think its madness suggesting that the OP should do it himself. The OP needs to find somebody who offers quality work at affordable prices. The type of project you are looking for well be in the thousands as its a lot of work - its not just a design with a few static pages. Its likely that the website will need to be updated easily on a regular basis.

Advertisers are being smarter with there money especially in tourism (and I do a lot of work in tourism). If the website is poorly designed/developed with no decent record for search engines etc. then it will likely be a failure. All the tourism bodys are finally realising the huge potential of setting up online and are finally pushing businesses to do the same.

In my opinion - go with a group you can trust, has a good record, isnt hugely expensive, offers very good quality designs and developments (a lot of monkeys out there charge a fortune for god awful work). It will work better for you getting people to use the website and getting advertisers.

Sully wrote: »
    I think its madness suggesting that the OP should do it himself. The OP needs to find somebody who offers quality work at affordable prices. The type of project you are looking for well be in the thousands as its a lot of work - its not just a design with a few static pages. Its likely that the website will need to be updated easily on a regular basis.

Madness,eh? Well it depends. He simply can't afford what you propose for one thing by the sound of things. For what he seemingly can afford he will just get a crappy job done.

Anyway whether he does the website himself or not, I think at the very least he needs to increase his own knowledge of how the internet works - SEO stuff, Attractive and user-friendly website, google page ranking, attractiveness to advertisers and whatever else is important these days for running a successful website. He needs to research thoroughly what kind of system should be used for his website - the big problem here from what I've seen is many people have many different preferences even for the same type of website, so it gets very confusing. Maybe he should set a time-limit for research and then pick and stick with something, it's what I'm going to do anyway.
    Advertisers are being smarter with there money especially in tourism (and I do a lot of work in tourism). If the website is poorly designed/developed with no decent record for search engines etc. then it will likely be a failure. All the tourism bodys are finally realising the huge potential of setting up online and are finally pushing businesses to do the same.

If he does it himself then the website might and probably will be a failure, but he'll have learned a lot of valuable lessons for the next time at relatively little cost and maybe have a bit of fun doing his own site along the way. It's kind of horses for courses really, if he absolutely wants a must-have successful venture then ok doing it himself isn't the option but if it's more of a hobby type site that might go somewhere in the future, while all the time he increases his knowledge of creating and running a website then I don't think that is madness at all.
    In my opinion - go with a group you can trust, has a good record, isnt hugely expensive, offers very good quality designs and developments (a lot of monkeys out there charge a fortune for god awful work). It will work better for you getting people to use the website and getting advertisers.

One problem is how do you know who you can trust at a reasonable price from the onset. Ok just say he finds such a company/individual he is happy with, say he has the money(which apparently he doesn't) he should make sure he can work with the system these guys install, at the very least he should get back to forums like this before making any agreements with anyone, and keep himself informed on each stage of the project.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

luckylucky wrote: »
    Madness,eh? Well it depends. He simply can't afford what you propose for one thing by the sound of things. For what he seemingly can afford he will just get a crappy job done.

Unless he has a hidden talent, the website is going to be poor. Development is easier to learn then having artistic talent and learning how to design a fancy looking website.
    Anyway whether he does the website himself or not, I think at the very least he needs to increase his own knowledge of how the internet works - SEO stuff, Attractive and user-friendly website, google page ranking, attractiveness to advertisers and whatever else is important these days for running a successful website. He needs to research thoroughly what kind of system should be used for his website - the big problem here from what I've seen is many people have many different preferences even for the same type of website, so it gets very confusing. Maybe he should set a time-limit for research and then pick and stick with something, it's what I'm going to do anyway.

I agree with you on a lot of that. I try to give my clients an understanding of it but most of the time it goes over their head or they don't want to know. Unless you want to spend more money, some things are better learning by yourself such as what you have mentioned above. With regards to the correct system - its usually a three way split: Joomla, WordPress or Custom.

For Discover Tramore, its custom. Clients can login and update their listing with ease. They can add pictures and special offers. They can view statistics to see how good their listing is doing. They can purchase a listing/renew a listing etc. Administrators can manage other peoples listings, add listings and do general day to day maintenance important to the running of their website. For CMS, again its mostly custom depending on what the client wants we will often use WordPress if its a better solution.

A good company will explain the differences, the pros and cons etc.
    If he does it himself then the website might and probably will be a failure, but he'll have learned a lot of valuable lessons for the next time at relatively little cost and maybe have a bit of fun doing his own site along the way. It's kind of horses for courses really, if he absolutely wants a must-have successful venture then ok doing it himself isn't the option but if it's more of a hobby type site that might go somewhere in the future, while all the time he increases his knowledge of creating and running a website then I don't think that is madness at all.

Its a waste of time doing it yourself if you want to make a proper go at it. Otherwise, if its just for a bit of craic and will be free for everyone and your not pushed about the look and how well it does - then sure, go for it yourself. Its not really the right way, in my view, to start a successful website.
    One problem is how do you know who you can trust at a reasonable price from the onset. Ok just say he finds such a company/individual he is happy with, say he has the money(which apparently he doesn't) he should make sure he can work with the system these guys install, at the very least he should get back to forums like this before making any agreements with anyone, and keep himself informed on each stage of the project.

A proper company will explain to him what they are offering, the pros/cons and not bull**** around. You can look at their portfolio and judge if the websites are good in appearance or popular. Contact those website owners for their opinions, view the company's testimonials from past projects etc. That's how you get yourself informed and make the right decision. Sure, coming back to forums like these will help to get advise but people will have different views on company's portfolios and pricing so it might be a lot of hassle.

Unless he has a hidden talent, the website is going to be poor. Development is easier to learn then having artistic talent and learning how to design a fancy looking website.

Who's to say that he doesn't have this talent. Personally I can't actually draw or do anything artistic to save my life, but I think(rightly or wrongly) that I have a good eye when it comes to what a website should look like. For anybody tasked with running a website whether they have been involved in the website or not, this 'talent' is a must imo. So either the OP needs to have this talent, or he has to have someone available to him both during the initial website design and when the website is up and running who has.
    I agree with you on a lot of that. I try to give my clients ....

A bit ahem vested interestedness in rejecting the idea of him doing it himself eh;)
    Its a waste of time doing it yourself if you want to make a proper go at it. Otherwise, if its just for a bit of craic and will be free for everyone and your not pushed about the look and how well it does - then sure, go for it yourself. Its not really the right way, in my view, to start a successful website.

I can't comment on tourism industry websites per-se but in other areas many people have created their own websites and been very successful, it requires a good idea, talent and perhaps most of all dedication, but it can be done by a certain type of person. Whether it suits the OP is another matter.
    You can look at their portfolio and judge if the websites are good in appearance or popular. Contact those website owners for their opinions, view the company's testimonials from past projects etc. That's how you get yourself informed and make the right decision. Sure, coming back to forums like these will help to get advise but people will have different views on company's portfolios and pricing so it might be a lot of hassle.

Looking at their portfolio, testimonials etc is all well and good and should be done of course, but it's hardly going to be an unbiased view of the company. When I meant for the OP to check back here I wasn't really thinking about the company's portfolio, more for the OP to have some non-biased opinions on what their proposal for site development entailed.

• Advertisement

Who's to say that he doesn't have this talent. Personally I can't actually draw or do anything artistic to save my life, but I think(rightly or wrongly) that I have a good eye when it comes to what a website should look like. For anybody tasked with running a website whether they have been involved in the website or not, this 'talent' is a must imo. So either the OP needs to have this talent, or he has to have someone available to him both during the initial website design and when the website is up and running who has.

Usually people with the talent go ahead and do it anyway, or have done some sort of design course. Those who ask for someone else to do it usually are not that good. Web Design isnt all about using Dreamweaver you know!
    A bit ahem vested interestedness in rejecting the idea of him doing it himself eh;)

Been saying it well before I got into this line of work. There are plenty of non-designers who would say the same. Im not pushed who the OP goes with (as long as its a good company) but I do feel that these things should be done properly.
    I can't comment on tourism industry websites per-se but in other areas many people have created their own websites and been very successful, it requires a good idea, talent and perhaps most of all dedication, but it can be done by a certain type of person. Whether it suits the OP is another matter.

Cant say I have seen this as most people I have spoken with who have done there own website are getting around to getting it done properly. Only a very very small few did it themselves and resulted in a good output.

Looking at their portfolio, testimonials etc is all well and good and should be done of course, but it's hardly going to be an unbiased view of the company. When I meant for the OP to check back here I wasn't really thinking about the company's portfolio, more for the OP to have some non-biased opinions on what their proposal for site development entailed.

Usually clients know what they are looking for and while suggestions can be made for other areas of interest, im sure the client can tell whether its needed or not without asking a team of web developers/designers their opinion when really the client should know what his/her website needs (in terms of features).

Iv explained the option of CMS to clients, the option of me doing it and the option of explaining how they can do simple changes without a CMS. I tell them the story and they make up their own mind (most dont need any changes and dont require anybody to edit their website or a CMS, if they do its very rare) based on what they think they need.

Usually people with the talent go ahead and do it anyway, or have done some sort of design course. Those who ask for someone else to do it usually are not that good. Web Design isnt all about using Dreamweaver you know!

Not sure where that came from, coz I never implied that it was.
    Been saying it well before I got into this line of work..

Fair enough.
    these things should be done properly.

Well here is the crux, a website is rarely done perfectly. Even if say your company do a smashing job on every site you build, which I'm sure is the case, through no real fault of your own there would almost inevitably be something that maybe after a week or so the client will think hmm I don't quite like this, or I wished that worked like this etc etc. You or one of your team won't always be available to work on the site - and even if/when you are it would likely mean a fee. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a downright mistake to outsource it, but it's a bigger mistake to have little or no knowledge or at the very least not to have anyone associated with your website project having any understanding of how your website was designed and how you can easily update it and if necessary reconfigure parts of it.

I guess we can only all just speak from our own perspective. Mine was I began with a hobby website about poker - at the time I started it I was a serious amateur player. I built it using Dreamweaver (that is not a recommendation of Dreamweaver btw -it was just a fun site at the time), after a time when I got more and more into it, I researched SEO stuff and ended up paying a guy a small fee who also educated me on the subject. I was well impressed with him. At one time my site was briefly no.1 on google for 'online poker advice'. My site continued to get more hits and advertisers actually contacted me. I was getting p'd off with using Dreamweaver for various reasons, so I decided to go back to the guy who helped me out and ask him was he interested in completely re-designing my site. This was a big mistake on my part, although I was more or less happy with the look of my site, it was a definite improvement from my earlier version, I found I wasn't able to work easily with the new system, this is why I think it's important that anyone who has their own website must educate themselves in this area and must have at least a reasonable understanding of the implications of what ever CMS they choose, if they want to work with someone else - whether outsourcing it to a company like yourselves or partnering with someone who's field is web-design then fair enough, but washing their hands and leaving someone else to get on with it with no knowledge or input would be madness, I know that to my own cost.

I've also had another bad experience vis-a-vis outsourcing. I was going to create a new website last year using joomla. The time allotted for the Project was meant to be 2 weeks. On elance I had people bidding on the project - the guy who won it, who was meant to begin on the project straight away, it was headache trying to get across what I wanted to him, to cut a long story short it already wasn't working out and then he went AWOL for months on end, by the time he got back to me months later I had other things going on and I felt he just wouldn't have done it in the way I wanted the project done anyway. If I had just bitten the bullet and done the website myself it might have taken me months but in the end I've no doubt I would have gotten a decent site up and running the way I wanted it. Granted I do have some advantage over a regular Joe-Soap, I used to be a computer programmer myself, though not in web development, still that sort of background is an advantage I would think for someone who wants to further their web development/design experience.

Anyway getting back to the OP if he can't afford to hire someone he's got to learn how to do it himself - or perhaps he could look for a partner who does do web-design(Not just Dreamweaver or Frontpage thought I better stipulate that for you there Sully ;))

Not trying to rundown your business btw Sully. I'm sure ye do great work but I disagree with the thinking that if people can't afford to hire someone then they are screwed.

Not sure where that came from, coz I never implied that it was.

I'm just saying in general. :)
    Well here is the crux, a website is rarely done perfectly. Even if say your company do a smashing job on every site you build, which I'm sure is the case, through no real fault of your own there would almost inevitably be something that maybe after a week or so the client will think hmm I don't quite like this, or I wished that worked like this etc etc. You or one of your team won't always be available to work on the site - and even if/when you are it would likely mean a fee. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a downright mistake to outsource it, but it's a bigger mistake to have little or no knowledge or at the very least not to have anyone associated with your website project having any understanding of how your website was designed and how you can easily update it and if necessary reconfigure parts of it

Well from our side its done perfectly if the website is designed and developed to the exact requirements of the client. They are kept updated right through the whole process, giving their feedback as we go along. When it comes to making changes, we usually have no issues doing the small stuff for free as its done a rare basis. When it becomes more regular they are offered a payment plan (prior to all this, they are told this is how we usually operate and they can invest in a CMS if they wish). Most businesses in this area work in very similar ways. Its a lot more hassle, for most people, to do it themselves. This type of jobs, like repairing a car or building a house, should really be given to the professionals if you want it done right. Unless, you have the ability to quickly learn and do very similar or just as good work yourself. If you are interested, learn a little along the way so that your not completely in the dark (which a lot of people are, by choice).

I guess we can only all just speak from our own perspective. Mine was I began with a hobby website about poker - at the time I started it I was a serious amateur player. I built it using Dreamweaver (that is not a recommendation of Dreamweaver btw -it was just a fun site at the time), after a time when I got more and more into it, I researched SEO stuff and ended up paying a guy a small fee who also educated me on the subject. I was well impressed with him. At one time my site was briefly no.1 on google for 'online poker advice'. My site continued to get more hits and advertisers actually contacted me. I was getting p'd off with using Dreamweaver for various reasons, so I decided to go back to the guy who helped me out and ask him was he interested in completely re-designing my site. This was a big mistake on my part, although I was more or less happy with the look of my site, it was a definite improvement from my earlier version, I found I wasn't able to work easily with the new system, this is why I think it's important that anyone who has their own website must educate themselves in this area and must have at least a reasonable understanding of the implications of what ever CMS they choose, if they want to work with someone else - whether outsourcing it to a company like yourselves or partnering with someone who's field is web-design then fair enough, but washing their hands and leaving someone else to get on with it with no knowledge or input would be madness, I know that to my own cost.

I've also had another bad experience vis-a-vis outsourcing. I was going to create a new website last year using joomla. The time allotted for the Project was meant to be 2 weeks. On elance I had people bidding on the project - the guy who won it, who was meant to begin on the project straight away, it was headache trying to get across what I wanted to him, to cut a long story short it already wasn't working out and then he went AWOL for months on end, by the time he got back to me months later I had other things going on and I felt he just wouldn't have done it in the way I wanted the project done anyway. If I had just bitten the bullet and done the website myself it might have taken me months but in the end I've no doubt I would have gotten a decent site up and running the way I wanted it. Granted I do have some advantage over a regular Joe-Soap, I used to be a computer programmer myself, though not in web development, still that sort of background is an advantage I would think for someone who wants to further their web development/design experience.

A few people on this forum in the past who have knocked designers (mainly due to their fees) have suggested out sourcing on such sites. A lot of people I know who went down that route (including myself when looking for staff) found it a headache sometimes when dealing with these people. Just like you have experienced. Which is why you should look for an established business (or freelancer) with all of what I was talking about earlier. This way, you can avoid all that because you are dealing with someone with plenty of experience dealing with customers, making sites and making things easy on people who are not that good with it all.

In your case, you not only have the added advantage but clearly are a quick learner and can do what the average person cant/wont.
    Anyway getting back to the OP if he can't afford to hire someone he's got to learn how to do it himself - or perhaps he could look for a partner who does do web-design(Not just Dreamweaver or Frontpage thought I better stipulate that for you there Sully ;))

I still disagree with doing it yourself unless you are a quick learner, think you can put up something very good with a bit of time and effort. If you can, go for it. Well worth it.
    Not trying to rundown your business btw Sully. I'm sure ye do great work but I disagree with the thinking that if people can't afford to hire someone then they are screwed.

Matter of opinion really. :) "screwed" maybe not but I think websites done professionally usually do better then those which are not. Again tho, it depends on how good you as a "newbie" are at all this.

Ok I pretty much agree with you Sully. I think we were just coming at it from different angles. In the OP's case it's probably very likely that he will need a professional's help, the problem for him though is that at the moment he can't afford it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

And therein lies the problem, he wishes to setup a website as a business having advertisers on it and generate money but doesnt have or want to spend the money to begin with to get a good site. In any business you have to allow for some spend in the beginning if you plan to make money down the line. If he doesnt have the money now he would be better waiting till he does and getting the job done right.

Axwell wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem, he wishes to setup a website as a business having advertisers on it and generate money but doesnt have or want to spend the money to begin with to get a good site. In any business you have to allow for some spend in the beginning if you plan to make money down the line. If he doesnt have the money now he would be better waiting till he does and getting the job done right.

I'm not disagreeing with what you say. If it's meant to be a serious business then he needs to invest time and money, no getting away from that. But I haven't seen it where he said it was meant to be a serious venture.

With the user's budget and lack of knowledge he has no choice but to either wait until he has more money like you suggest or else get learning on how to do it himself. If he's one of the new jobless in Ireland he might as well spend his time on learnign something new anyway, whether it's web development or something else.

At the end of the day he can have a bit of fun doing his own site, to be blunt even if it turns out to be crap and he doesn't have or develop the aptitude for doing a good job of it he can still take something from the lessons

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

He mentions getting advertisers on board, if this is the case then it should be treated as a serious business as he plans to generate revenue im sure. Also advertisers arent going to advertise on something that doesnt look good. As i said if this is the case and he hasnt the money he should wait till he does or else acquire the money to do so. Otherwise he should spend his time learning how to do it himself but be prepared that it might take a long time and the results might not be as good as he wants if he doesnt have the apptitude as you say. But if this is a serious business attempt then really he should be going down the route of getting a professional website done.

Advertisement