Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Fieldwork

Options
  • 05-03-2009 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just a quick question, I'm filling out my Fieldwork booklet and on one of the main sections 'Gathering Information' the max word count is 450.

I've explained everything as comprehensively as possible without going off the point and my word count is at 321.

Is that way too little or what do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

How you have so little for that section is beyond me, I had about double that so I'm trying to cut it down.

Don't count your words so, count your SRPs.
    Are you sure you're saying enough?
    Have you divided the section into 2 distinct methods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

'Our teacher took us to a beach, we did a bunch of stuff, now fill out these books.' were my teachers instructions.

We took wave speed, length, height, long shore drift, examined beach material and got the beach profile so I just wrote how we did that. Like I didn't think there was much more to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

If you look at how it's marked it says you have to have more than one method of gathering information

Method 1: Recording (or blahhh, whatver you want really)
    "wave speed, length, height, long shore drift"

Method 2: Observing, Sampling, Sketching.
    "examined beach material and got the beach profile"

Also, say you OBSERVED the site & sketched it. Quite easy to make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

the beach material is a lovely one to write up on because you can say so much on it. Talk about EVERYTHING you did in detail. Been a few months since i looked at mine but off the top of my head heres the things you can talk about for it:
    -you did a survey of the different types of rocks on the beach and how often they occurred - you did this by throwing a quadrat four times (go through each one separately,your going to repeat yourself a lot doing this) - you took a rock from each of the four corners - you identified them using rock identification chart

-you measured the length and width of the rocks - you did this by throwing a quadrat - where the quadrat landed you pck up a rock from each corner - you measured the length with a callipers and recorded - you measured the width with a callipers and recorded

-go through each thing then on the storm beach, mid beach and foreshore sepparately and you should have enough deffinately on this part

the go onto whatever other you did and do the exact same thing, think i did the profile and slope, but basically go through pretty much every single detail of how you gathered the info

Advertisement