Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthrax...

• 05-03-2009 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

Dont really get why most people consider them brilliant.

I like a few of thier intro's, and one or two full tunes, but I find the singer to be annoying (kind of) and they are quite monotamous.

Thoughts??....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I like a few of thier intro's, and one or two full tunes, but I find the singer to be annoying (kind of) and they are quite monotamous.

Thoughts??....

Which singer exactly? They're on their forth vocalist now.
    Personally i like em, they brought a sense of humour to the genre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I like a couple of there songs,but the one song that stands out the most for is "what does'nt die"brilliant song :).

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Huge fan of the Bush era Anthrax, Sound of white noise & We've come for you all are two excellent albums.
    He also made a decent job of the oldies on The greater of two evils.

Jesus, I almost forgot Bring the Noise, how could you not love this band!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

you can't whack a bit of ANTHRAX,fantastic band.

prefer beladonna on vocals myself:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Love Anthrax, and the John Bush era was the best in a long line of great music from them imho.

Here's to a new run of great music once the new album comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

prefer John Bush Anthrax. There's an album called Volume 8 The Threat Is Real, that slipped through the radar here...good album...

"Fueled" is a class song...

I lost respect for them after they ditched Bush for Belladona for the anniversary tour...They were on a bit of a roll after WHCFYA.....

good live dvd with Bush as well. "music of mass destruction"

greater of 2 evils is a good john bush representation of older songs....

I likey..dunno about the new singer. I'll stick with J Bush...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there last album was released 2003?are they releasing one this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

ok, I reckon they deserve another chance...it seems as though I just dont have enough of their material!

Just listened to Safe Home, Intro to Reality and What Doesnt Die....pretty awesome!!!
    Anyone got any more I should listen to/what are you're favourites????

Woops... Give 'Only' & 'Potters Field' a try.

"A stream on consciousness flows into a river of blood, stem this tide of violence, as it rises like a flood"

Class! :)

We need some Belladonna love in this god damn thread.

Go for their cover of Anti-social, and then Among The Living & Caught In A Mosh

Then when you're done with those, get the entire Among The Living album! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Thoughts??....
    They're one of the few bands from the 80's who continually evolved their sound, stayed interesting and didn't repeat themselves. They don't have a bad album... maybe State Of Euphoria being the weakest but it's ok... and, unlike other bands from their time beginning with 'M' their recent stuff is among the best they've ever put out. They're original, they paved the way for Rage Against The Machine among others, but we've forgiven them for that now.

For new stuff get We've Come For You All. It's flawless.

For old stuff get Among The Living. It's got the best riffs.

Like a lot of other people, I was pissed off when Belladonna came back but I can understand why they did it. They'd just put out on of the best albums of their career and it sold a paltry amount. They played to a half empty Ambassador in support of such a great Metal album when Metallica touring stanger were playing to a full RDS a week later. People didn't want to know and there was more excitement over the old guy coming out and doing a nostalgia tour, despite the quality of the modern material. You can draw a parallel with Sepultura actually, a band putting out phenominal albums but more people are concered with the old singer :rolleyes:

Still, I've been listening to WCFYA quite a bit recently, on the strength of that I've got to give the new guy a chance. The last album was so good it would be wrong to brush the new one off without giving it a listen. Despite a big mistake, they've never put out a **** album and they deserve another chance, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Persistence of Time is a good album, as is attack of the killers B's (some great cover versions on it...)

They also did a great cover of "remember tomorrow" with john bush.

I like all the John Bush albums, and the live one "music of mass destruction" is good too.

Among the Living has some classics on it, but the singing sometimes gets to me...some savage riffing on it..

I read an interview yrs ago where scott ian and dimebag were talking about making the "ultimate riff album"

Check out "inside out" studio or live version. It's off Volume 8....

Anthrax always had/have good tshirts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I forgot to mention "sound of white noise". I was at that ambassador gig. WHCFYA deserved far more attention...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I was at that ambassador gig

Same here, notice Music of Mass Destruction is pretty much a carbon copy of that gig, right down to the 'stage banter', brings back good memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Thoughts??....

I always find when I dont like a band I tend not listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

only cheesy bit of the ambassador gig was when J Bush started going on about the men in uniform in "Eye-raq" before Refuse To Be Denied. I was like "I don't care, I'm not American or British. Play the flippin song!" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Belladonna > Bush > Turbin, yet to hear Nelson

Anti Social rocks but bad memories due to one fvck!

http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanmckeon/gigs/tophat.wav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Belladona era for me all the way.

Their cover of Trust`s "Anti Social" was great(although check out the original,its fantastic) and "Bring The Noise" speaks for itself.

They really were pioneers in the 80s and have influenced a wide spectrum of bands since.

So yeah pretty important in the overall scheme of things.

If they release an album this yr,I'll def check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    get the entire Among The Living album! :D
    Doctor J wrote:
    For old stuff get Among The Living. It's got the best riffs.
    "I am the laaawwww!!!"

"War daaaaance!!!"

"Imitation of life!!!" <duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh>

Sorry, just listened to that album while jogging this afternoon. Fan-bloody-tastic album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Being listening to some of their stuff again today.

Madhouse and Bring The Noise - bloody fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Starting Up A Posse is an awesome song against censorship! It's hilarious!

Nailz wrote: »
    Starting Up A Posse is an awesome song against censorship! It's hilarious!

Aimed directly at Tipper Gore if i recall correctly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I want to echo everything Doctor J had to say great band that never sold out and need far more respect than they get nothing like listening to among the living great album but like most on this thread was blown away with WCFYA,but regarding getting belladonna back in the band i was delighted to see him back on the stage with the guys but i knew it wouldint last... gonna dig out WCFYA later and give it a blast it even has a dimebag solo on it lol

... it even has a dimebag solo on it lol

The album is just that good I can even tolerate listening to that solo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Aimed directly at Tipper Gore if i recall correctly too.
    Ah yes, that is very clear as it addresses her; "Your fùcking whore!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

anthrax brilliant "random acts of senseless violence" what a song
    saw them in SFX ,bush had bit of attitude problem ,either that or he was sick to the teeth of touring ,at end of gig he was like "we may as well play the encore songs now and save u guys chanting Anthrax Anthrax"sounded like he had a pain in his ass

• Registered Users Posts: 15 magic_man

'I am the Law'!

Advertisement