Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License Application advice

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Everyone

Im hoping to apply for my shotgun licence soon and I was wondering about any questions on the form regarding medical history.

I have had depression and have recieved medical help (meds, CBT) and although I am now better I was wondering would this go against my application?

Can anyone advise please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

gimpchimp wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Im hoping to apply for my shotgun licence soon and I was wondering about any questions on the form regarding medical history.

I have had depression and have recieved medical help (meds, CBT) and although I am now better I was wondering would this go against my application?

Can anyone advise please? :)

There are no questions on the application form AFAIK however the superintendant can ask for medical records for the previous five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gimpchimp

sfakiaman wrote: »
    There are no questions on the application form AFAIK however the superintendant can ask for medical records for the previous five years.

Perfect- thanks for the advice sfakiaman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sfakiaman wrote: »
    There are no questions on the application form
    None yet, but there was talk of putting on a question asking if you had a history of mental illness.
    Mind you, I wouldn't want to be in the skin of the first Super who refused a licence to someone on those grounds, he'd find himself flayed in court by a dozen different Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gimpchimp

Sparks wrote: »
    None yet, but there was talk of putting on a question asking if you had a history of mental illness.
    Mind you, I wouldn't want to be in the skin of the first Super who refused a licence to someone on those grounds, he'd find himself flayed in court by a dozen different Acts.

So true Sparks. Just because someone has had depression and recieved medical help doesnt mean they are unstable- probably the reverse. Ive never been in trouble with the cops in my life but when people see youve recieved medical help for depression they automatically think the worst- although in fairness the stigma of mental illness is not as bad as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And given the way things are going, a whole lot more people are going to get an introduction to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement