Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback eh?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

So seen a few other forums doing this, figured why not us :)

What do you like about the forum
    What do you hate/dislike/abhor about the place
    Anything we can do to make the forum better

Bombs away :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Said about it before, the only thing i dont like is the way some people(and yeah one or two regulars) speak to people who starts threads about 1st time tattoos etc... ie (oh why not put it on your forehead, ERM it was funny the 1st time it was said , not the 200th time)
    there only Noobs asking questions, which if given the right answer will work with that.. only takes two mintues to write a nice reply.:) ... hell even im afraid to ask questions on stuff sometimes, and i know most of ye.... what ye might find a silly and pretty straight forward question , might be mind boggling for the next person

anywho other than that, its one of my fav forum. so long may it last:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I wish there were something we could do about the daft amount of shilling...

Also, I wish people would read the damn threads about tattooist/piercers before asking who to go to, its a matter of opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Can't do anything about 1 post wonders unfortunately, it reflects poorly on their business and their ethics so in the long run it's detrimental to them... well in my opinion.

People don't read the threads unfortunately no matter how easily accessible it is to them. Just gotta reply and point em in the right direction :-/

We aren't gonna rip people's heads off for criticising the place as long as it's put forward in a constructive way.

emo - will do my best to sort this out. gonna alter the charter a tiny bit to put it into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Personally I wouldn't mind the shills if they were any damn good once you bothered searching for an online portfolio. Every one of them that has come on here suck azz.

As for making the place better, is a sticky/ gallery of artists in Ireland out of the question? I'm not talking about boards hosting every artists portfolios but maybe a small example of the work available from the like of JMD's, Zulu, Colourworks et al. The reason I suggest this is that almost every noob (and I'm not hating on the noobs, we were all there at one time!) inevitably asks "who would you recommend for X?" being able to direct them to a gallery thread might sort this.

• Advertisement

Have been pondering this for the past while, im just mucho lazy :)
    It would be hugely beneficial but as i said in response to hot2def people don't bother reading stickies, they want the info as easily as possible so they just create a new thread. Even if i or someone else around was to create such a thread i can bet money on people still creating threads asking where to go even if it was in an easy to see and open format. case in point the stretching FAQ and healing piercings threads i made. still get quite a few threads about both those subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

i think thats a great idea diceicle

there's an awwwwful lot in the show me your thread, and its actually quite hard to find portfolios of artists, and even more so if you're looking for someone who does a particular style.

and as much as the thread with all the artists/piercers is handy, you want to see some work instead of taking the word of someone who may have an entirely different opinion of what a great piece means.

ill stick my hand up and say im probably guilty of all the noob sins, actually more so, cos i went wandering into otb to drag an answer out of poor will :o,
    but found some helpful advice from lovely boardies, so thank you forum. much appreciated!!!

all newbies once, one of my first threads was where i could buy an autoclave so i could pierce myself with sage instruments etc haha how i laugh :)

LOL!
    ack all forums are the same with the same problems.
    i use a different one all day, and we give out about noobs not reading the stickys and answering the same stupid questions too. i should really know better!!!

ill behave from now on!!! :P

hot2def wrote: »
    I wish there were something we could do about the daft amount of shilling...

Also, I wish people would read the damn threads about tattooist/piercers before asking who to go to, its a matter of opinion
    they're just looking for advice, most of that thread is outdated tbh.. wont go into examples..

you know the industry as do most people here, as in who to go to etc, but say you didnt im sure you would ask for an update opinion...... , so why should they be afraid to ask or made feel uncomfortable for asking a question?? cause like i said again , there's loads i want to ask , but dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

good idea for a thread bill. i dont post in here a lot but do browse it regularly and, like emo mentioned above it can be hard on people new to tattoos or piercings. its a bit too cliquey and while a lot of the regular posters are genuinely helpful, equally a lot of regular posters are arrogant, and too shortsighted to see their own arrogance. you can almost predict certain posters condescending replies as soon as you see a question in the title line.
    overall though i like the forum, there is a lot it has going for it and the picture threads are good for ideas etc.

Ok then well if people would be so kind, PM myself, damo or hellrazer with names of people who are rude or whatever so we can keep an eye out and try rectify the situation.

Why not?

cause of what I just said , some peoples replies to Noobs questions, are completely off putting, and sometimes i read them , and go , ooooh id like to know the answer to this to.... and then you get stupid replies like put it or your forehead, and your made to feel stupid..

its all about learning, and if i had half the knowledge that most of the people had here, id be happy to share it(ya had to learn once to ), not rip the piss out of people of asking such a question

im all for a laugh and a joke and a good burn, as ye know, but theres a time and a place for em
    longshanks wrote: »
    good idea for a thread bill. i dont post in here a lot but do browse it regularly and, like emo mentioned above it can be hard on people new to tattoos or piercings. its a bit too cliquey and while a lot of the regular posters are genuinely helpful, equally a lot of regular posters are arrogant, and too shortsighted to see their own arrogance. you can almost predict certain posters condescending replies as soon as you see a question in the title line.
    overall though i like the forum, there is a lot it has going for it and the picture threads are good for ideas etc.

+100...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

+1 on the cliquey, bandwagon mentality. It can be very discouraging, actually being anxious to ask a question due to the risk of abuse, you might get from some people. Otherwise this forum is ace!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

I wouldn't worry about the cliquey thing. That's just the internet. I found everyone pretty helpful/ friendly.

Like most people passing through I came for a bit of advice to get an idea of the artists around, their styles, what studios they work out of and samples of their work.

I know it would be a bit of work but - the stickied thread on tattoo artists and piercers in Ireland.....If the first post of that was as comprehensive a list (as possible) with links off to artists portfolios hosted elsewhere it'd be a great resource. Updated very month or two if artists move around. Nice handy place to point lost noobs :D

My 2 c

I wouldn't worry about the cliquey thing. That's just the internet. I found everyone pretty helpful/ friendly.

Like most people passing through I came for a bit of advice to get an idea of the artists around, their styles, what studios they work out of and samples of their work.

I know it would be a bit of work but - the stickied thread on tattoo artists and piercers in Ireland.....If the first post of that was as comprehensive a list (as possible) with links off to artists portfolios hosted elsewhere it'd be a great resource. Updated very month or two if artists move around. Nice handy place to point lost noobs :D

My 2 c

LOL! ye lying bollox ye
    you nearly got banned for taking the piss in my thread

actually i thought that was a bit harsh. yozz had already explained that he knew me, and still got someone in giving him a last warning.
    felt like a slapped child for messing in the grown ups forum.

hot2def - you're a star for posting the new thread. its so great to have a place to go to get help with something that really is a big decision, and should be as extensively researched as possible (imo). thanks again xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Why does it always come back to spanking with you dolly?

i just llllllllove it!!!!
    3\
    YEAH BABY!!!

*dolly* wrote: »

actually i thought that was a bit harsh. yozz had already explained that he knew me, and still got someone in giving him a last warning.

That what Off Topic Banter Thread is there for, a joke a laugh calling eachother the bollix as you put it in freindly jokey way... we do welcome nooobs, post in there we wont bite ..much

Other thread are there for help etc, thats why you or him or whatever got a slap on the wrist.. dont want the thread being derailed so to speak..

• Advertisement

Why does it always come back to spanking with you dolly?
    i just llllllllove it!!!!
    3\
    YEAH BABY!!!

otb that way :)
    >

emo!! wrote: »
    That what Off Topic Banter Thread is there for, a joke a laugh calling eachother the bollix as you put it in freindly jokey way... we do welcome nooobs, post in there we wont bite ..much

Other thread are there for help etc, thats why you or him or whatever got a slap on the wrist.. dont want the thread being derailed so to speak..

ah i understand that people dont want threads clogging up with spam. you dont want to wade through a load of in jokes and waffle to get one answer thats actually on topic. there's other forums for that. and you're right. you're definitely right!!!!

i was more referring to the fact that yozz had explained why he said what he had, had stopped messing, and then after it was sorted, someone came in quite heavy handed with a threat of a ban, and first and last warning post.
    seemed a bit ott to me. maybe he was right tho. take no **** right from the start and run a tighter ship.

by the way emo, i think you're lovely. you have a really nice welcoming attitude :)
    <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

-1 on the cliquey from me. As Yozzer said thats just the internet, besides which the longtime,regular poster like Will, Raze and Damo will inevitably get to know each other more over time and through more frequent interaction both on boards and in bars, if you want to call that a clique so be it. Id just call it being friends.

The point about noobs getting rude or stupid replies does have some merit but personally speaking (typing??) I always try to be of as much help as I can to people who write a decent post that looks as if they put some thought into it. I'm probably slightly guilty of one or two smart a$$ replies but I would say that that would be to thread where it seems the OP put zero thought into their post.

Diceicle wrote: »
    -1 on the cliquey from me. As Yozzer said thats just the internet, besides which the longtime,regular poster like Will, Raze and Damo will inevitably get to know each other more over time and through more frequent interaction both on boards and in bars, if you want to call that a clique so be it. Id just call it being friends.

The point about noobs getting rude or stupid replies does have some merit but personally speaking (typing??) I always try to be of as much help as I can to people who write a decent post that looks as if they put some thought into it. I'm probably slightly guilty of one or two smart a$$ replies but I would say that that would be to thread where it seems the OP put zero thought into their post.
    yeah you do write excellent replies, and ive learnt lots from them, i enjoy reading your posts tbh ..

1 or 2 smartass comments from people is fine , im guilty myslef , but all the time just wreck my head !

anyways ive made my point, i tend to go on a bit , sorry ! :pac:!

I would like to think the place isn't cliquey, we organise nights out and everybody is invited. People have come from kilkenny and waterford to hang out. I make a special effort as does Damo to make sure everyone feels welcome, and even offer to meet people on their own at a set time since it's easier to meet just 1 randomer compared to a whole group.

OTB is a bit of a monster at times, but if you come on and start any reasonable bit of fun and not just 1 liners like 'hi' you are sure to get a response. People are quick to point the finger and shout 'clique!!' but as I've said for nights out we've always (usually in caps) said new people are more than welcome. Never has there been a "only people posting x amount of months are allowed come along or post in otb"

I was a new person to this forum back in 2005, it was a hell of a lot different back then. I didn't know a thing, i thought buying an autoclave would sort me out for cheapo piercings. I eventually got the feel for the forum and figured stuff out, which is due to AmazingEmmet. He was always open to answering loads of questions from me no matter how stupid or crazy. It wasn't always in the main forum, pm's were exchanged etc etc

Maybe a thread for questions would be helpful? Just general questions relating to body piercing and tattooing? Not a how to, but something along the lines of 'what is x part of my ear called?' 'what is the gauge system?' things like that?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

LOL! ye lying bollox ye
    you nearly got banned for taking the piss in my thread

Im going to answer that one.We had a user here who posted pervy comments about girls ink in the pics thread.Posts were reported and he perma banned. So now we operate a no pervy comments policy and zero tolerance on it aswell.

Legend has it, if you type his name 3 times he will re-appear o.0

But yeah in all seriousness, some trouble in the past has lead to nasty situations

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

i was more referring to the fact that yozz had explained why he said what he had, had stopped messing, and then after it was sorted, someone came in quite heavy handed with a threat of a ban, and first and last warning post.
    seemed a bit ott to me. maybe he was right tho. take no **** right from the start and run a tighter ship.

Actually the reason for the warning was because the post was reported by another user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Diceicle wrote: »
    I agree, I never felt it was cliqy, I jsut sauntered in one day and fit right into place, i think that if new posters come in and post a bit about themselves and make the effort they generally fit in alot better, It's like when your out on the beer, When I'm sober I'm terribly shy and usually only say one or two words and feel like a bit of an outsider, but give me a feed of beer and ill talk the ear off anyone as some posters found out

Will wrote: »
    I would like to think the place isn't cliquey, we organise nights out and everybody is invited. People have come from kilkenny and waterford to hang out. I make a special effort as does Damo to make sure everyone feels welcome, and even offer to meet people on their own at a set time since it's easier to meet just 1 randomer compared to a whole group.

OTB is a bit of a monster at times, but if you come on and start any reasonable bit of fun and not just 1 liners like 'hi' you are sure to get a response. People are quick to point the finger and shout 'clique!!' but as I've said for nights out we've always (usually in caps) said new people are more than welcome. Never has there been a "only people posting x amount of months are allowed come along or post in otb"

I was a new person to this forum back in 2005, it was a hell of a lot different back then. I didn't know a thing, i thought buying an autoclave would sort me out for cheapo piercings. I eventually got the feel for the forum and figured stuff out, which is due to AmazingEmmet. He was always open to answering loads of questions from me no matter how stupid or crazy. It wasn't always in the main forum, pm's were exchanged etc etc

Maybe a thread for questions would be helpful? Just general questions relating to body piercing and tattooing? Not a how to, but something along the lines of 'what is x part of my ear called?' 'what is the gauge system?' things like that?
    +1 Newbies are always welcomed, I myself have been invited on the beer once or twice before Ifinally made my way up, I was never once made like an outsider, even though i generally take the piss outta noobs myself for the most part they all realise it's all in good fun and they take the piss outta me, when it goes to far I stop(or am told to) which I have no problem with :)
    people like emo the suffer my wrath :P
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im going to answer that one.We had a user here who posted pervy comments about girls ink in the pics thread.Posts were reported and he perma banned. So now we operate a no pervy comments policy and zero tolerance on it aswell.
    I too got a slap on the wrists for this I accepted it even if i didn't know of the situation.

• Advertisement

Will wrote: »
    Legend has it, if you type his name 3 times he will re-appear

Jesus dont say that.And which one of his 20 names would you say anyway?

Advertisement