Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback eh?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Molberts feedback:

I would like to see more talk of tattoos and piercings in this

>.>

<.<

tattoos and piercings forum ;) and less random chatter.

I find myself posting less here, especially in OTB as its just full of jibba jabba about unrelated stuff. I have made some good friends through this forum but personally prefer to talk to them in real life about stuff not relating to tattoos and piercings as its not really relevant to other users otherwise -_-

I can see how new people might find OTB cliquey but can't say I agree in relation to the rest of the forum, maybe I'm wrong.

As far as I recall I haven't been mean to any n00bs, if ive nothing nice to say I tend to leave it, but do try to post helpfully if I can.

However, if i have offended anyone sorry and all that. :)

Peace and love,

Pierced and inky love,

Molberts <3

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Well said molberts.Im thought i was the only who wasnt mad about otb. Im dont even bother with it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

hmmm well i like it , prolly cause i lead a boring life :rolleyes:

ill just talk to myself on it ... its all good :D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Actually the reason for the warning* was because* the post was reported by another* user.
    was it chin? i bet it was chin :P

i didnt realise that hell. no offence meant. i really didnt think it was that big of a deal anyway which is why i didnt say anything at the time, just the tone felt a little unfriendly in light of the fact that we had established that he wasnt some random perv.

anyway, its your forum, you know best how to mod it, and you were probably right to err on the side of caution. i was just offering an objective view from an outsider.

i definitely wouldnt have said the forum was cliquey. otb is bound to have people who chat like old friends if they are spending a significant amount of time all in the one thread and have met IRL. you cant spend all day welcoming every single poster who stumbles across the forum! they have to make an effort themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

people often post here about looking for a certain script (arabic, chinese etc.) and invariably get slated by gauge or someone as its not a language they understand. 'why would you want something on your skin if you dont know what it says?' type comments. how about links to sites with different scripts or maybe translations.
    it annoys me because we've all seen good tattoos here of koi, dragons, candy skulls, wills polynesian tat. yet will is not polynesian (a ginger maori?), molberts isn't japanese etc. so why is it deemed acceptable to some to have pictures from other cultures but not scripts?
    personally i just like tattoos that look nice, i'm not bothered about the bullshit percieved rules that some folk seem to have.
    take it easy folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

longshanks wrote: »
    people often post here about looking for a certain script (arabic, chinese etc.) and invariably get slated by gauge or someone as its not a language they understand. 'why would you want something on your skin if you dont know what it says?' type comments. how about links to sites with different scripts or maybe translations.
    it annoys me because we've all seen good tattoos here of koi, dragons, candy skulls, wills polynesian tat. yet will is not polynesian (a ginger maori?), molberts isn't japanese etc. so why is it deemed acceptable to some to have pictures from other cultures but not scripts?
    personally i just like tattoos that look nice, i'm not bothered about the bullshit percieved rules that some folk seem to have.
    take it easy folks

actually, ive met a ginger maori chick. quite an unusual look, but seemed quite a cool chick.

and i'd agree with this post, i think molbert's and hellrazer's.

i don't like the otb, try post in there now and then, but can never stick it for too long. it does feel a bit clique-y, and in a way, whereas there used to be a little chat and banter on other threads, it feels like threads now are a lot more serious, while the otb is a lot more nuts than conversation/banter in here has been before.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thanks for all the feedback so far folks, keep it coming! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im going to answer that one.We had a user here who posted pervy comments about girls ink in the pics thread.Posts were reported and he perma banned. So now we operate a no pervy comments policy and zero tolerance on it aswell.

That's grand and rightly so. I'm used to posting on another board where, let's say, standards wouldn't be as tight. Good to know the boundaries/ rules of the board you as posting on.

And as pointed out the last thing noobs usually do is read charters etc. I've no problem being told in a firm but friendly way if I'm out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

More of a lurker than a poster but enjoy the forum. Have posted a few times. Have to say it's well kept and the nuisance level is kept to a minimum.

Only thing is when I check the forum I keep thinking of getting more tattoos!!! Meh.

Insurgent wrote: »
    Only thing is when I check the forum I keep thinking of getting more tattoos!!! Meh.

That's a pain I live with daily :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

My only problem is that OTB moves too bloody quickly, and when I'm away from the interwebs for a day or two I can't catch up!

Otherwise, all is dandy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

longshanks wrote: »
    take it easy folks

i field this one, seeing as I recently got involved in it.

This is not a translation board. It isn't. Further, I know from seeing the results personally that the online translators don't work the way people think they do.

Unless you know someone very well (ie close friend or family member) to translate for you - YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT WRONG. the problem is that people think other languages are like codes, where you swap our words INDIVIDUALLY for theirs and you can make sentences, with out know any grammar. Worse yet, many people think you can just swap our letters for their's, so when you say "Sorry, we don't have the chinese for "jack" here", they say "Do you not have J A C and K?". you try to explain that chinese developed seperately from european languages, and doesn't corespond like that, and that you'd have to spell it out phonetically and for that you want a fluent speaker. The look at you like you are a party pooper.

Sometimes, you get people who have been tattooed before, and they say "I asked a chinese guy, and he says this doesn't say anything at all". Well yes, he would say that, because they don't have the name Jack in chinese. Same way as if some one took the roman alphabet and used to to phonetically spell out a name you weren't familiar with, it would look like gibberish.

If I am sharp with people on here, its because I genuinely believe they are about to do something stupid. I am entitled to my opinion. I don't see why, on this board, we would be required to tell everyone their idea is good.

hot2def wrote: »
    If I am sharp with people on here, its because I genuinely believe they are about to do something stupid. I am entitled to my opinion. I don't see why, on this board, we would be required to tell everyone their idea is good.

its not about telling them all thee ideas are good, cause sometime agreed there a plie of crap, but theres a way of telling them , and what point im trying to get across, is people seem to get annoyed with what why might fine a simple question ...

It like half of them are being spoken to like a bold child most of the time.. if they want to get a kanji after the advice you/ or anybody gives them, then its there choice be it a bad one or not

I agree 100% with longshanks said Will has mori , Molby has a Koi, Yet they aint slated for it(personal speaking there both awesome , just using it as examples)... yet i remember a while back someone posting about stars was given great stick over it . Why its personal choice, if someone wants advice on the best place to geta kanji or whatever , it only takes two seconds to write a nice reply , instead or dragging it out , and everyone bashing them for it

emo!! wrote: »
    I agree 100% with longshanks said Will has mori , Molby has a Koi, Yet they aint slated for it(personal speaking there both awesome , just using it as examples)... yet i remember a while back someone posting about stars was given great stick over it . Why its personal choice, if someone wants advice on the best place to geta kanji or whatever , it only takes two seconds to write a nice reply , instead or dragging it out , and everyone bashing them for it

There is a huge difference between something symbolic, which can really only be interpreted one way, and language, which can be misinterpreted, mistranslated and messed up in many many ways.

There isn't a reliable online source for translations either, if there was we'd simply send the people to it!

The only reason that we are so critical is because unless you can read the language yourself, you really have no way of reading it. If you got a foreign language tattoo and liked it, wouldn't you be completely gutted if/when you found out that it meant something completely different, or meant nothing at all? We're trying to help prevent this from happening to people.

The sole reason that I give advice here is that I want people to get tattoos that they are going to be happy with, and I do not want to see people getting things done that they will regret.

i get being critical i do, there just a way of putting it , and sometimes the tone comes across as harsh ... tbh there some peoples post that i dont bother reading at all cause they annoy me .

and to end my rant in here, i dont like the tone sometimes, i find they get off lightly cause they're regulars or whatever, it might be good advice, but it could be put in a nicer tone.

Anytime you see any threads or replies that you think overstep the line, then report them!
    Seriously, that is what the function is there for. While I think we do a pretty decent job moderating here, we cannot read minds (unfortunately ;) ) so it is very difficult sometimes to tell what is borderline and what oversteps the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'll throw my two cents in on the language thing.
    Molby's koi is not slagged because people know the meaning of a koi. Will's tattoo is not slagged as there isn't a mistake. I think the thing about languages is the girl who was getting drug free in irish and ended up with free drugs on her, or the jap guy who delibertly tattoo'd cock and gay on people while telling them it was what they anted

yet stars are slagged?? mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Anytime you see any threads or replies that you think overstep the line, then report them!
    Seriously, that is what the function is there for. While I think we do a pretty decent job moderating here...

you do Damo ;)

I would like to agree with what Damo said, no need for backseat modding (annoying!) and it does happen here when hitting report would suffice. Remember the night with the trollbashing? 0_0

As regards the translation thing, Hot2Def is 100% on this one.

I don't speak Chinese, but I have basic Japanese. ;) Big long explanation half written but ive work to do, mebbe later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

yet stars are slagged?? mind boggles
    I slag stars because I hate them with a passion. People are running like crazy to get them because there a fad, I also hate my cousins kanji he got and my sisters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

In relation to the issue of people getting less than friendly responses with regards to script tattoos, whether in English or in a foreign language, my own stance on this is two-fold.

Firstly, there are umpteen stories online of tattoos not meaning what people think, someone wanting 'peace' tattooed on them and getting 'shopping-cart' etc. or in some cases the 'kanji' tattoos that are just jibberish, they mean nothing at all. I'm sure there are plenty of asians around Europe having a sly chuckle at our expense. ;)
    So I always tell people to be careful and try to get a native speaker to translate for you.

Secondly, as a tattoo, certain script tattoos are quite chavish, I realise I sound like a tattoo-snob saying that, so I'll clarify.

Every month, and I've only been posting a few, there seems to be someone, not heavily "into" tattooing who'll come on here "looking for X (sons name, whatever) tattooed in Olde English on my forearm", if I feel that the poster hasn't considered all the options I'll try to open there eyes to whats out there, or if I feel they're copying a celebrity I'll do the same. When I was first getting into tattoos I thought that Old School, Neo-tribal and Darkwave was the be all and end all in tattoos. Its certainly not. Visiting BME and just browsing portfolios opened my eyes to the possibilites out there, and I try to do the same for others. If that makes me a snob then so be it. If after that sctipt is what they want I'll try to help them as much as I can.

As an addition to the olde englsish script tattoo phenomenon, new posters should read some older posts before posting, chances are questions have been asked and answered. I know before I ask anything on any forum I'll do a quick search.

To tackle the point that, being Irish, getting script in Arabic (for example) is the same as getting a Koi, I have to disagree. The Koi, while japanese originally, is an image with a deep history in tattooing, it has meanings (many meanings depending on colour, direction etc) that transcend nationality. You can understand with a certainty what the tattoo means and is saying, in many many cases, the same cannot be said for foreign script.

Sorry for the long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I slag stars because I hate them with a passion. People are running like crazy to get them because there a fad, I also hate my cousins kanji he got and my sisters

so warn the person they're really common, no need to slag them. ive got stars too, got them 2-3 years ago, when i was 18. decided when i was 12 and knew sweet feck all about tattoos that i wanted a specific star design done, and when i was 18, i got it done, as id decided when i was 12. nothing at all to do with any fads. just what i wanted. im prepared to give other people the benefit of the doubt as to whether they want them for their own personal reasons, or to go with a fashion trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

theres also a huge difference between letting someone know that the chances of them getting an accurate translation of a foreign script on the net or even in a tatto parlour in ireland is highly unlikely, and slating them for wanting a foreign script in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Don't like OTB much. Think it's pointless tbh.

The threads going "Where can I go in ____ to get a tattoo/piercing?" are highly annoying, there's a sticky and a search function, it's not that difficult to use... But I know nothing can really be done about it. Just really grinds my gears.

Other then that I think the forum is very well run and informative. :D

Léan wrote: »
    Don't like OTB much. Think it's pointless tbh.

The threads going "Where can I go in ____ to get a tattoo/piercing?" are highly annoying, there's a sticky and a search function, it's not that difficult to use... But I know nothing can really be done about it. Just really grinds my gears.

Other then that I think the forum is very well run and informative. :D
    every part of boards, has an otb section

as do most other site i stalk ! :pac:!

every part of boards, has an otb section

Not true, can think of loads of forums off the top of my head here that don't have an otb section.

and i can prolly match that firgure with the amount that do and more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I don't really bother with otb, I think yo have to dedicate too much time to it inorder to have any sort of meaningful conversation, because it moves so fast...

hot2def wrote: »
    I don't really bother with otb, I think yo have to dedicate too much time to it inorder to have any sort of meaningful conversation, because it moves so fast...

Exactly.

I just don't get the point in it. The way i see it is the forum is called 'Tattoos & Piercings', therefore talk about that. If you want to talk about something else there are countless numbers of other forums on this site by which you can do so. Or if you're really bothered add whoever it is you want to talk to or whatever on MSN ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Léan wrote: »
    Exactly.

I just don't get the point in it. The way i see it is the forum is called 'Tattoos & Piercings', therefore talk about that. If you want to talk about something else there are countless numbers of other forums on this site by which you can do so. Or if you're really bothered add whoever it is you want to talk to or whatever on MSN ffs.

+1

I dont get it either--its like you post there,drive home from work and the thread has moved on by 5/6 pages and youve forgotten what you posted.
    Unless youre sitting in front of your PC 24/7 you cant keep up with it.And then theres only so many days when I want to know what someone had for lunch/breakfast/dinner etc.

I personally find it boring.

The way I see it is that OTB has kind of taken over the forum.
    More like the otb forum than Tattoos and Piercings.

And while other fora do have off topic banter threads I dont think any of them actually go as far as being the only thread with new posts in the forum when you log on in the morning which Ive seen happen on more than one occasion.

Advertisement