Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little mites in press/on food

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

hi all,

sorry dont know if this is the rite board to be in with this one, but its the closest one i can see to the subject..

im having problem with wee little white/clear looking mites in my cubboards and on the seals of food.

can anyone tell me how to get rid of these

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Throw everything out. Likely you had some flour that had eggs which hatched and these have propagated. They are quite normal this is why I always check my flour very carefully before baking heh. not that I do much of that!! I think they are harmless...

Once you have cleared everything out disinfect the place with something quite powerful. Keep flour and other cereal products seperate if you can in containers. This will mean if they have eggs the damage will be limited if it occurs again.

Here is some more info:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-and-Prevent-Flour-Mites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Never heard of these before..amazing what you learn on boards.ie...thanks for the tip..it's plastic containers for flour from here on in:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

im having problem with wee little white/clear looking mites in my cubboards and on the seals of food.

Any chance you are in a new house? We had this problem just after we moved into our new house. As did some other boardsies. We used to find them mainly on the window boards. The good news is they disappeared after a few months. I've only seen one in the last year. (And that was going from seeing dozens every day) I thought they were called Book Lice. Theres a thread or two on Boards and Askaboutmoney about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sunnyside out

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Any chance you are in a new house? We had this problem just after we moved into our new house. As did some other boardsies. We used to find them mainly on the window boards. The good news is they disappeared after a few months. I've only seen one in the last year. (And that was going from seeing dozens every day) I thought they were called Book Lice. Theres a thread or two on Boards and Askaboutmoney about them.

no its not a new house, by the sounds of it new or old every house has them...

their always in the press with food, never seen them on the work top or anywhere else
    yours might be a different type of insect i dont know, but thanks god their dying out for you cause their awfull

Advertisement