Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comic project

Options
  • 05-03-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey folks, I've lurking around these boards for a while, just posting occasionally, so i thought it was about time i made proper use of the site...

I've been working for about a year on a project based around Irish mythology. In that time I've gotten a decent enough proposal set up, and scripted a big chunk of it, but also during that time I've had two artists fall to the wayside because of the commitment it entails.

I've tried to actually start drawing it myself, but I'm coming to the hard realisation that i just don't have the skills to make it work that way. :o

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has any kind of interest in the source material who has the time or inclination to collaborate a bit, or even if they can point me in the direction of anywhere I could get in touch with people like that. Any interest or help would be much appreciated. I can post a bit of the work I've already done or I can email what i've got to anyone who's interested. My email address is niall_mc_cann@hotmail.com, or you can just post your responses on here, i'll see 'em.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jmean

can we have a look at the work to date, post it on a blog or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

sure, that's a reasonable enough request!

I'm a bit of a luddite, but I'll try to get some of it up on a blogging site this evening, then post a link.

Cheers.

I stuck a little bit of stuff up here:http://niallmccann.blogspot.com

It's the cast of characters copied and pasted from the proposal I did up, along with the first few pages of script. The only art I have for it is my own, of which there is very little which is not very good. But there's loads more script and the proposal itself is a much bigger document.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I stuck a little bit of stuff up here:http://niallmccann.blogspot.com

It's the cast of characters copied and pasted from the proposal I did up, along with the first few pages of script. The only art I have for it is my own, of which there is very little which is not very good. But there's loads more script and the proposal itself is a much bigger document.

is this a straight up take on the mythology story of Deirdre of Sorrows? just to let you know Colmán Ó Raghallaigh who did the irish comics about St. Patrick, An Tóraíocht and An Táin is working on some new comics with Barry Reynolds who did An Táin and Deirdre of Sorrows is one of the stories they were working on. Not that theres anything wrong with different takes on the same source material and Cló Mhaigh Eo comics are all in Irish.

ztoical wrote: »
    is this a straight up take on the mythology story of Deirdre of Sorrows?

I don't know how to answer that, really.

The intent was to contemporise it a little bit, to recast the mythological themes in a way that was maybe a bit more relateable to modern audiences then the original telling. So in that sense, it's maybe not so straight-up.

Having said that, that's what everyone's always done to these things, so in that sense it actually is... :o

If there's one thing I think might strike people as different, its the take on Conchubhar in the story. I hope he'll come accross as a fairly sympathetic character. Maybe even Deirdre herself might seem a little bit different. Less a fait accompli and more an instigator.
    just to let you know Colmán Ó Raghallaigh who did the irish comics about St. Patrick, An Tóraíocht and An Táin is working on some new comics with Barry Reynolds who did An Táin and Deirdre of Sorrows is one of the stories they were working on. Not that theres anything wrong with different takes on the same source material and Cló Mhaigh Eo comics are all in Irish.

Thanks for letting me know. I knew I wasn't the first to take it on, i never thought i'd be the last either.:P

It's a great story. Who wouldn't want to tell it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement