Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Change Tariff 5/4/2009

• 05-03-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Just got a text off three saying there is a change to the 3pay tariff rates as of the 5/4/2009

http://www.three.ie/new3pay/

Its the same 3pay tariff as the one they currently have, so Just anyone on the 5c text and MMS and 18c Landline calls are being forced to change.

Bye Bye 3 :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Ya I got the same. I was always under the impression that a network couldnt change your tarriff without oking it with you. I use a second phone for msn and cheap texts to people who arent on meteor. Guess its time to get rid of the three number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I got it too. I like how they make a direct comparison of text prices with the other networks without mentioning that pretty much no one pays those prices and how they felt it necessary to point out that the off net price is dropping by 5c but left it up to you to notice that the on net and landline charge is increasing by 12c

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055505402

Im Fairly annoyed too...

3 Ireland 3Pay Calls to 3 & landlines to increase by 12c Per min

This is a joke..

"We have reduced the calls to other networks from 35c to 30c a minute"

BUT.....................

Calls to 3(Yes your own network) & calls to landlines have increased by 12c per minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

This sux. Nice price increase there. Well in a recession u have to make money somehow i guess.

How could i chose to go to the new plan before and now i am being forced into it? I guess its legal but it pretty much sux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Don Carlos

i'm really shocked by this. the prices have almost doubled on same network calls! i only went to three for skype. but to be honest, with price increases like that, skype isn't a big enough attraction to stay. might go back to o2.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

According to Three (posted on the page linked above):

"Terms and Conditions

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification."

Business must be bad - it explains why they rang me again offering the same deals as on their website because I was a "valued" customer and then got snotty when I pointed out that their special offer was available to anybody via their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

They now have a Minimum call charge of 5c on this great new tariff, I wonder does this apply to Skype Calls also? Skype to Skype for free no more With all the failed skype calls they will make a fortune.

I hope in a few years mobile phones will just work over VOIP and all i do is to sign up for a cheap broadband package and use a program such as skype, voipcheap etc. on my phone to make calls for next to nothing.

Its 2009 charging 30cents for a 1min call is kinda nuts to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

well Im finished with them anyway. I'll be porting back to a cheaper provider for sure.

rh555 wrote: »
    I hope in a few years mobile phones will just work over VOIP and all i do is to sign up for a cheap broadband package and use a program such as skype, voipcheap etc. on my phone to make calls for next to nothing.

Its 2009 charging 30cents for a 1min call is kinda nuts to begin with.

You can already do that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Bad move, not even 3's two resident cheerleaders here could defend this one.

So 3 customers who were on the original priceplan are now faced with a 600% rise in picture/video messaging prices, and a 67% hike in charges to landlines and other 3 customers. (Also with a min call charge thrown in)

And yeah, the calls to other networks are down from 35c to 30c, but what about the customer who mainly called landlines; they now find themselves where yesterday they were paying the cheapest prepay landline rate on all networks, and today they find themselves on the most expensive.

They already had the least attractive prepay option. Now they've made it a lot worse for many of their existing customers.

I can see the attraction to 3 on bill pay, very competitive. And the "Best of Both" priceplan was one of the most innovative ideas ever had by a mobile network in this country.

But in terms of the pre-pay market they just seem lazy. Which is odd considering thats an area where big gains can be made as shown by Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

mcguyver wrote: »
    They now have a Minimum call charge of 5c on this great new tariff, I wonder does this apply to Skype Calls also? Skype to Skype for free no more With all the failed skype calls they will make a fortune.

Think Skype-Skype will remain free. No mention of any changes in that service.

The question is: if you are on the legacy 5c price plan (5c calls, texts, MMS), can you still keep that?

flodis79 wrote: »
    Think Skype-Skype will remain free. No mention of any changes in that service.
    yeah that'll still be free
    flodis79 wrote: »
    The question is: if you are on the legacy 5c price plan (5c calls, texts, MMS), can you still keep that?

I don't think so. Up until now they've been trying to convince everyone to switch to the new tariff but now they've just told everyone they have to. I never opted into their new tariff but I still got the text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think so. Up until now they've been trying to convince everyone to switch to the new tariff but now they've just told everyone they have to. I never opted into their new tariff but I still got the text

Yeah but then again, they sent pricing information about the 3pay08 priceplan to people still on the old priceplan, and then apologised in another text a few hours later.

The difference is this time they said its a price change notice and as of April 5all calls will be charged at the new rate for all customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As far as Vodafone and Meteor are concerned, if a user is on a tariff, they can stay on that tariff for as long as they wish. I know of people who are still on tariffs from over 4 years ago and in no way shape or form are they being moved or even being asked to move from their tariff. 3 have pretty much just put another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned.

A certain inebriated simian will have a hard sell defending their favourite network now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm counting the days until my bill pay contract is finished with them (2 months to go).

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As far as Vodafone and Meteor are concerned, if a user is on a tariff, they can stay on that tariff for as long as they wish. I know of people who are still on tariffs from over 4 years ago and in no way shape or form are they being moved or even being asked to move from their tariff. 3 have pretty much just put another nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned.

A certain inebriated simian will have a hard sell defending their favourite network now.

Well said as soon as my credit is used up im off to vodafone I reckon

Stephen wrote: »
    I'm counting the days until my bill pay contract is finished with them (2 months to go).

make sure that you call them when there are 30 days left in your contract to give them notice that you're cancelling or they'll charge you for an extra 30 days. all the networks do it afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

jordainius wrote: »
    Bad move, not even 3's two resident cheerleaders here could defend this one.
    I presume I am one of the two ;-). I would never justify any company doing this, very bad move from 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They need to get the money in after they wasted it on the irish open ;)

Actually I was thinking about this a little more and was wondering if this actually might be illegal by Three?

I understand they can change the rates at leat 1monts in advance and I am not arguing about this point. I do howwever think there must be some limit of how much a company can increase their prices which in 3's case is just insane.

Lets see here:

Text Message:
    5c -> 3c = -40%

MMS
    5c ->30c=+500%

Landline calls
    18c ->30c=+66%

Other mobiles
    35c -> 30c=-14%

That means taking an average of all the increases/decreases we have a total increase in rates of 148% which is sought of insane.

Now if that would be a service like SKY,UPC or any other service you pay for monthly you could just say screw you and cancel your contract.
    On 3Pay however most people have topped-up money which they would lose by not using the phone anymore and so don't have a choice.
    I actually still have over 80euros on my phone which is probably higher than most ppl but even having 20euros on it and being forced to pay more should and might be illegal but I dont know.

I haven't contacted 3 about this yet but I was wondering if there is a legal issue with three increasing their prices by such an excessive amount for people that have already payed in advance for it and can't just get their money back.

Thanks

The law is that you have the right to withdraw from the contract without penalty so I think that if you decided to leave they'd have to refund you your credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Good luck getting their customer care to agree to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will be a cold day in hell before 3 refund a PAYG customer their credit.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It will be a cold day in hell before 3 refund a PAYG customer their credit.

You're right. What was I thinking!? The law doesn't mean anything to 3 customer care. Their script is above the law!!!

(I'm actually saying you're right btw, not being sarsactic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

ive been a 3 customer from the start.
    No more.
    Bye bye 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I'm on 3 bill pay, will this affect me?

I'd love a iPhone, if I was to move, who to?

T-Square wrote: »
    I'm on 3 bill pay, will this affect me?

I'd love a iPhone, if I was to move, who to?

It doesn't affect bill pay....yet.

If you want an iPhone, only o2 sells them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'll never forget the day that they rang me with an exclusive special offer, just for me. Coincidently I was looking at the Three website at the time, in search for a new phone and found out that they were offering me a "special price" that was €15 dearer than what I could get it on the website for!

I think I'll be changing over to their Best of Both package.

Advertisement