Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Place to buy the 360 SFIV arcade stick?

• 05-03-2009 7:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Right.
    I'm done with playing SFIV with my pad as It'll go through the TV if I play again.

I can't see how it's possible to attempt a fireball with Ryu/Ken and have him do a backwards jump - the exact opposite to what was attempted.
    There's something seriously wrong there, and it happens about 50% of the time.

Where can I get an arcade stick at the best price? Online or bricks'n'mortar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Well unless you're willing to pay for one on ebay you're probably gonna have to invest in some sort of time machine to get one. They're very hard to come by AFAIK. Nowhere in Dublin has them and play-asia is backordered.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

fitz0 wrote: »
    Well unless you're willing to pay for one on ebay you're probably gonna have to invest in some sort of time machine to get one. They're very hard to come by AFAIK. Nowhere in Dublin has them and play-asia is backordered.

Bugger.
    Thought they'd be plenty around.
    I assume there's some decent enough 3rd party knock offs as well?
    You had no idea how many time I had to do on the Challenge special movies section to clear it.
    If you can't pull off the specials when you want you have no chance of doing well in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

i have no probs doing special moves with the standard controller....

anyway was in Gamestop last week..the had pics of arcade sticks up beside the street fighter 4 games..

theey had 'available for pre order' on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

jayteecork wrote: »
    Bugger.
    You had no idea how many time I had to do on the Challenge special movies section to clear it.
    If you can't pull off the specials when you want you have no chance of doing well in the game.

If you're having a problem doing fireballs, etc, it's either a problem with you, or your controller is defective. While having a stick is imo a lot better, controllers are nowhere near that bad. They're perfectly usable for stuff like you're describing.

edit: And as I posted in another thread, you'd be much better waiting for the SF4 rush to die down before buying a stick, as it's very difficult to find a fair price online at the moment, ebay is full of touts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jayteecork wrote: »
    Bugger.

There is, the Hori Ex2 sticks. And guess what, ever since SFIV came out they have been sold out everywhere as well. I'm in the same boat as you. I was away when the game got released and anyway nowhere in dublin got them in. I set up an email alert on playasia, thats about as much as you can do without paying over the odds on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I missed the train on the Hori sticks as well. Hands are in bits after a long session the other night. Just going to have to wait until they resurface again.

In my opinion, the EX2 isn't worth the 70 quid or whatever that Gamestop etc. are charging for them, but it's a grand stick for a casual player.

Difficult to mod, though, if you were planning on swapping the parts out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I thought the Hori stick was around 50 squid?

Around 50, that's a lot more reasonable, I had just heard through someone else they were charging more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats probably just rip off ireland prices.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    it's either a problem with you, or your controller is defective.

Problem with me? I think I know how to pull off a Hadoken at this stage.
    I used go on the hop from school to play Street Fighter II about 16 years ago. I bought the SNES game about 15 years ago. Never had much problem pulling off the moves on those systems.

Controller works fine on other games, don't think it might be defective.

Capcom programmed the AI so cheaply that you need about a 95% success rate pulling off special movies and I'm like under 50%.

I know people who play better using the normal 360 controller than I'll ever be able to on a stick; it's not ideal, but it's by no means as awful as you're making out, so I say again, it's you or your particular controller.

SF4 probably has the loosest inputs of any Street Fighter game ever. Super Turbo's inputs are ridiculously tighter, both in terms of frame windows, and in terms of hitting the exact motions, so I dunno what to tell you more than that. It's not the game, and if you were able to reliably do moves in SF2, you should have absolutely no problems in SF4.

edit: Also are you using the analogue stick or d-pad? I find the analogue stick a lot easier on the stock 360 controller for this game.

edit 2: and you could easily be beating the game on easier difficulties by just sweeping the AI over and over and over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've been trying every gamestop/game/argos in Limerick.
    All out :(

Gamestop had a 360 one about 2 weeks but I was looking for a PS3.
    I've since bought a 360 elite so now I'm kicking myself.
    They tell me they should have more in about 2 weeks but the useless pricks didn't give me a chance to pre-book or order one. Bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

I use the controller (360 one). The analougue is grand for it. Especially with Ken and Ryu. Must be you :)

Ok, it sounds like you newbies never played the original games in the Arcades/On Snes and that's probably where the problem lies.

As I was whined playing on those systems whereas your first Hadokens and whatnot were on Xbox, it's easier for you guys.

But fellow veterans like Retrogamer are complaining about the pad too so I must have a point.

I played on snes and megadrive, as well as once or twice in arcades when I was a kid. If you want to go on xbox live against me, I'll use my stock 360 controller, and we'll see if it's a problem with you or the game.

I think your being a wee bit too smug dreddybajs. Hes not the only one having problems with the pad. Im having awful problems too, Ive even taken to gripping the analogue stick between thumb and forefinger like a tiny stick. Its still very hard to consistantly pull off specials or ultras.

As I said, it's far from perfect, but I think if you go into training mode, and turn on the input display to see what's actually coming out when you try the motions (every player should spend some time in the training mode anyway, it rules), you should be able to get a lot more consistent with it. I've missed inputs using the analogue stick, but a figure of "under 50%" correct inputs can't be all the pad imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

There was a Hori Ex2 in Gamestop Pavillions Swords nearly 2 weeks ago now; they had just one left for the 360 after I went in and picked one up on a whim, couldn't believe how jammy I was to get it, €50, worth every penny, special moves are so much easier now.

As I said, it's far from perfect, but I think if you go into training mode, and turn on the input display to see what's actually coming out when you try the motions (every player should spend some time in the training mode anyway, it rules), you should be able to get a lot more consistent with it. I've missed inputs using the analogue stick, but a figure of "under 50%" correct inputs can't be all the pad imo.
    I do this but I dont get to play very often lately with college work so Id say its more practice I need.

• Advertisement

I've missed inputs using the analogue stick, but a figure of "under 50%" correct inputs can't be all the pad imo.

The thing is you shouldn't miss inputs at all. I got to a point on the megadrive and arcade when you could lay down a barrage of fireballs and never have to worry about a missed input. Also I would counter every air attack with a dragon punch or variant and after a days practice could pull it off perfect everytime. On the 360 controller I wouldn't dare try a dragon punch except in a combo which usually results in a miss read input. Instead my air counters are the characters air counter fierce attack which has much lower priority.

I was practicing on Super Turbo on the saturn (arcade perfect conversion) and despite much tighter windows for special moves I was pulling off specials and supers with 100% accuracy with the saturn pad. It's a much more enjoyable experience because if you lose it's your fault not because your game pad failed you.

I think what really kills the game is that moves become even tougher under pressure. I've found that staying calm during a match is one of the surest ways of winning in capcom games. I used to let guys beat me to an inch of my life bar and slaughter them because I could remain calm while they got frustrated and predictable. You can't do this if you can't rely 100% on getting a move off.

Did you get a fightpad? I think they're based heavily on the JP Saturn pad, and from what I've heard, they're good enough.

And for the record, the inputs I'm talking about missing is stuff like Guile/Vega's super/ultra, and Fei's new chicken wing. I can do QC motions reliably, as well as DPs (especially with the df, df shortcut that exists in SF4); ultras I tend to miss if I try to hit three separate buttons instead of the triggers for 3P/3K, and I've missed a couple otherwise, but that's it. I prefer and do better on my stick, but the controller I find usable (and you gotta remember, this guy was talking about beating the AI, not players, in which case all you need to do most of the time is find an exploit and loop it).

Did you get a fightpad? I think they're based heavily on the JP Saturn pad, and from what I've heard, they're good enough.

I wish I did. I'm not so sure it's based on the saturn design though. The floating d-pad definitely isn't on the saturn, it's more a refinement of the megadrive one. Still I heard they were good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

So has anybody found one?

No word from palyasia yet and I'd say they would be one of the first to get word.

Advertisement