Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! can i be that bad? Gears of War

• 05-03-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

hi Every1,

im 27, and bought a 360 at xmas after not playing computer games since i was about 14 on the snes...the games i got with it were rubbish ones like kung fu panda, sega tennis etc..so i bought GOW second had and played it for about 3 weeks and enjoyed it but lost interest and just thought ahh im oo old for computer games, buying this was a bad idea....so didnt play it again untill i saw Street Fighter 4 was out(which i had for the snes and loved)

so i hooked it up to xbox live for the 1st time 2 weeks ago so i could kick some ass online ... i love streetfigter and very rarely get beaten online..then out of curiosity i tries the Vs. battle with GOW online...WOW it was brilliant..i loved it..my first time playing was with a few 10 yrold kids who were crap so i had good fun slaughtering them...

however now they are gone and literally every time i play online i get about 20 seconds b4 some murders me..and all my team mates start abusing me saying ''what the fck is he doing standing there like a twat etc etc..''

i keep practicing every day but i hardly ever even make 1 kill when i play..the guys im playing slaughter me in seconds...its really pissing me off!! especially when they are 10 and start abusing me!!

any tipe on how to get better!!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Find some 10 year old friends and kick some ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm the same, I have never killed anybody playing GoW 1 or 2 online yet I have a life expectancy of about 15 seconds. I only play Hoard co-op online because its all I'm any good at.

I'm the same with RS Vegas 1 and 2 yet in CoD 4 I go on killing streaks and top out the score lists most of the time. I depends on the game mechanics really and some how most 12 year olds know how to exploit GoW to the max.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Online players are going to be full of sick freaks that play 20 hours per day.
    Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

when you die,watch the person who's doing the best.See what they're doing and incorporate it into your game.Work on the basics,shotgunning,using you're rifle.If you're really stuck use your chainsaw but you're gonna get even more abuse if you do that!Its always to be expected that you're gonna be awful at the start,keep playing and you'll do better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Keep playing online.....you will get better in time. Start by practicing using the shotgun before using anything else. Try to learn when and where to go etc and what to do in common situations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Carroller wrote: »
    Find some 10 year old friends and kick some ass

Just make sure your not alone with them!

I play with mates on line rather than randomers. Most of us are the same level so its handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

jfrmbray wrote: »
    when you die,watch the person who's doing the best.See what they're doing and incorporate it into your game.Work on the basics,shotgunning,using you're rifle.If you're really stuck use your chainsaw but you're gonna get even more abuse if you do that!Its always to be expected that you're gonna be awful at the start,keep playing and you'll do better
    +1 you can learn a lot from watching the other players, how they move, how they shoot.... At the start of a level watch where the other players run to as well.
    Sometimes it can be the game aswell. I sucked playing GOW1 for the short time I played it. Played COD4 instead and OWNED. Try renting COD4, see how you get on with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Could also be to do with your internet connection. Depending on the connections ping time you might be experiencing a lag which would mean that they are pulling moves before you see them. Make sure if you are playing that nobody else is using your internet connection and that there are no torrents or downloads running which can slow down your speed too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

GOW is an old game by now, all that are left playing really are the people that love it and are very very good at it...it's teh same iwht any of the older games..the casual gamers move on, the diehards remain...you're probably playing against people that are very very good at GOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Start crouching in dark corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Gears online just doesn't do it for me. I love the campaign on both games and love horde on Gears 2 but playing online just becomes a pain in the a**, but that's just me I know people who love it. My opinion on it is that if you don't like it after your first few attempts online, you never will but don't let that put you off trying other games online because you will be missing out on great games like call of duty or halo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

+1 Indie 18

I didn't like Gears of War I or II online. I find it too slow and the cover and shot gun weighting are annoying. I do enjoy the Horde and co-op modes.

Halo 3 and COD are great games online. Halo 3 takes a bit of skill though. I'd say anyone could clock up a few kills in COD. It's the most of arcadey of the all Xbox games.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

Would definatly agree with you Silvine about Halo needing a bit more skill than Call of Duty, its harder to notch up the kills in Halo but also its a much better game to play, I feel. I just enjoy it more where as Call of Duty will have me saying f**k this s**te i've just been killed for the millionth time by campers, what else have I got there to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I've the same problem on both Xbox and L4D on PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Hated multiplayer at first on gow2, kept getting my ass torn apart.But I love it now,if you keep at it you'd be suprised how handy you get at it.By no means am I even a good player but I always manage to get a few kills and even sometimes the odd win.Its better if you play games like annex or guardian at first cause you get the respawn thing so you actually get a good game going.Played em a few times where i notched up around 20 + kills(got killed about 30 times in the same go though).Wingman is great for ranking up as well if you play it when you get a bit better at it cause you should be able to keep your kill/death ratio in proportion.If any one fancies a few games my selfand a few other boardies are on most nights, just add me:Jesusbeater, and I'd be up for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

+1 You can add me too: PeterDude77. I'm on almost every evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jfrmbray wrote: »

top advice there, spectator mode is your friend

Advertisement