Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBA in Excel - Running Macro from other workbook

Options
  • 05-03-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I know almost no VB/VBA. I just started using it this morning.

I click a form button on workbooka.xls that runs a macro called MyMacro which is stored in workbookb.xls. That all works fine, however when I save & close the files and open them again, it's like the reference to workbookb has been lost. When I click the button I get a message saying:

'' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct (It can't find the macro)

When I right-click the button and select 'Assign Macro', it shows this as the Macro name:

' '!MyMacro

The reference to the file workbookb.xls has disappeared! (The above line is supposed to say 'workbookb.xls'!MyMacro)

What's going on? How do I fix it? It driving me mental!! :(
    Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Another question - Is there any reason my computer has become dog slow since I've started using VB editor and editing a few Excel files? Is that common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

The easiest thing to do would be just to declare the macro in excel in general and not in a particular workbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Hello,

I know almost no VB/VBA. I just started using it this morning.

I click a form button on workbooka.xls that runs a macro called MyMacro which is stored in workbookb.xls. That all works fine, however when I save & close the files and open them again, it's like the reference to workbookb has been lost. When I click the button I get a message saying:

'' could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct (It can't find the macro)

When I right-click the button and select 'Assign Macro', it shows this as the Macro name:

' '!MyMacro

The reference to the file workbookb.xls has disappeared! (The above line is supposed to say 'workbookb.xls'!MyMacro)

What's going on? How do I fix it? It driving me mental!! :(
    Thanks,
    Brian

Hi Brian, I am a VBA developer.

Handiest thing I find is to store all your macros in a single workbook (WorkbookB).

You should also store a local macro in the module of your own workbook (WorkbookA) to run this e.g. Assign Macro on the button should be to Main. This in turn runs the macro stored in the apppropriate module (I'd recommend calling it the same as the name of WorkbookA if it only applies to that particular workbook) of the WorkbookB workbook. The other two modules OpenWorkbookB and CloseWorkbookB do just that. Replace WorkbookA/WorkbookB/LocationWorkbookB as appropriate.

Global LocationWorkbookB As String, OpenedWorkbookb as Boolean

Sub Main()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.Calculation = xlManual
    Let LocationWorkbookB = "S:\WorkbookB.xls"
    Application.Run "OpenWorkbookB"
    Application.Run "WorkbookB.xls!" & [whatever you wish to run]
    Application.Run "CloseWorkbookB"
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic
    End Sub

Sub OpenWorkbookB()
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    Let CurrentWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook.Name
    For Each wb In Workbooks
    If wb.Name = "WorkbookB.xls" Then
    Let OpenedWorkbookB = True
    GoTo MarkOpenedWorkbookB
    End If
    Next wb
    Workbooks.Open Filename:=LocWorkbookB, ReadOnly:=True
    Windows(CurrentWorkbook).Activate
    MarkOpenedWorkbookB:
    End Sub

Sub CloseWorkbookB()
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
    If OpenedWorkbookB = False Then
    Windows("WorkbookB.xls").Activate
    ActiveWindow.Close False
    Else
    End If
    End Sub

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Thanks very much lads.

TommyGunne, I don't think I'd be able to use that solution because the files in question are on a network drive and will be opened/run by lots of people on different PCs. Therefore, I don't want to have to configure the macros in Excel on each PC - I'd rather if it was embedded in the files so that it will run on any PC - Although the macro security restrictions on people's Excel are going to be a bit of a nuisance also I think.

nordydan, Thanks for taking the time to put that reply together! Unfortunately, I'm working on something else this morning but I'll give that solution a try later and let you know how it goes.

Dr Pepper,

No problem. Do this every day of the week.

Remember that when defining variants, the simplest Dim XXX as XXX only applies to an individual procedure.
    Global XXX as XXX means the variant value is stored universally throughout the VB project.

This the best solution if multiple users source off the same code. It means the central source can be updated to reflect all change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If your computer is still running slow check the task manager to see how many instances of excel.exe you have running, that might be a cause of the problem.

These two lines speed up the running of the macro:

Application.Calculation = xlManual

They turn off screen updating (i.e. the macro runs then the screen is "live again"), and automatic calculation (this is more important of the two).

At the end these two lines:

Application.ScreenUpdating = true
    Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic

Will reset the parameters back to normal. If you are filling a formula based spreadsheet however, you need to take care with the calcuation parameter. Remember that all functions can be replicated a lot more quickly and efficiently with vba code.

Advertisement