Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTH Ancesters

Options
  • 05-03-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am searching for answers about my Howth Ancesters, which I have struggled with for 6 or 7 years now, can you help ?? I hope so.

1. Dr William ANGUS MD. Physician / Surgeon who lived at Columba House, Abby Street, Howth. All I know about him is he married a Margaret Hasley, or Haisley, and had at least 2 children a son and a daughter in about 1850s.

2. John ANGUS who was skipper of a 3-masted ship. He and one or two of his sons ran a chandlers I think on West Pier, Howth.Who did John marry.?? He had built some houses on Hillside Terrace, I think now known as Thornmanby Road.Does anyone know the name of the ship John skippered and what happened to the ship??

One of his sons John (junior) known as Jack was coxswain of the life boat station in Howth for 30 + years, the longest serving coxswain they have had.

3.Anyone have any information about my second cousin George Gilmore, 1898-1985 I know he fought in the Irish Spanish Civil War, I would also love a photo of him. I was very young when I met him but can't remember what he looked like.

Please help with any of the above,

Thanks

Heppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A lot of Irish Civil records were destroyed in the early 20's during the Civil War - your best bet would be to visit the local parish churches.

A friend of mine works as a genealogical researcher and does research (mainly for Americans) for a fee and is based in the Howth area. Let me know if you want his email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The lifeboat in Howth has their own website, perhaps contact them www.howthlifeboat.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

1911 Census gives 2 Angus' living in Howth and John was indeed a ship's chandler. No Gilmores found in the area and environs for this period.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Howth/Howth_Town/

137 and 143

Hillside Terrace is the houses on the right hand side of this picture (1910).

howth-circa-1900-small.jpg

Also I'm local so if you need any on the ground help give me a shout. I might go down later and take a photo of the plaque listing the Coxswains for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Regarding point 1: do you know if they were Church of Ireland or Catholics? There are no birth records for 1850s - civil registration did not begin until 1864. However, if they are Protestants, then you may be able to find a marriage as they started civil registration of CoI marriages in 1845.

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails;t=searchable is a Mormon site that has indexed all births, deaths and marriages for Ireland since they began recording. I had a quick search for the 2 names and it looks like there's a marriage registered in Co. Down in 1848. I checked each name separately so there's a strong possibility that it is them. Have a look yourself and if you think it's right, you could order the marriage certificate from the GRO http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

So they are probably CoI. However, they could also be Presbyterian and there are both denominations in Howth. The National Library of Ireland has a lot of Parish registers. However, until 1870, the CoI was the established church and therefore their parish registers were public record. 2/3s of them were destroyed in the Four Courts explosion in 1922 but maybe Howth was not one of them.

I am studying genealogy...feel free to PM me with a more specific question and I'll do my best to help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Heppy

Hello Pinkypinky
    Thank you very much for your email. very helpful and I hadn't in the past known about those two websites, which I have been looking at and found in the first one quite a bit of information.
    Thank you. I will probably get back to you for help.

If you want to email me on disce50@clara.co.uk

Thanks again,
    Heather
    Worthing,West Sussex,UK

• Advertisement
Advertisement