Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ROSS, Watch & Clock Makers 1850s +

Options
  • 05-03-2009 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am searching information about my New Ross Ancesters. my Great Grandfather was HUGH COCHRAN(E) a watch and Clock maker. I believe he lived in South Street, I think number 60.
    Can anyone tell me anything about him.

Also my Grandfather SAMUEL COCHRAN(E) trained at JOHN FEGAN jewellers I think in Castle Street as a watch and Clock maker in the 1870s. (I have a copy of his contract with them.

Has anyone got any information about the family, and Hugh's wife. etc.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with any knowledge of the Cochran(e)s in Ireland as a whole

Thanks,

Heppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Heppy

I would love to hear from anyone related to the DEACON'S, COLLIER'S or CHASHELL'S my mother was KATHLEEN (nee) DEACON her father was ALBERT DEACON who born in Wexford but moved to the BULL WALL, Dollymount in Dublin.Her mother was ANNIE CASHELL

Please get in touch.

Thanks,

Heather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Heather,

I have someone in the know who might be able to find out for you.

One confusing thing in your post is your mention of Castle Street... there is no Castle Street in New Ross.

Any more information you can provide about the New Ross details would be helpful in tracking this down.

Ned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Heppsy68

Hello NedNew,

Thank you for your reply to my asking about my Great Grandfather HUGH COCHRAN who was a watch and clock maker in New Ross,
    Also my Grandfather SAMUEL COCHRAN who did his apprentiship with a JOHN FEGAN in CHARLES STREET WEST I mistakingly wrote CASTLE STREET and you were right to point out to me that there is no Castle Street in New Ross.

My Great Grandfather, lived at 60, South Street, New Ross. and at the time he had a gas lamp outside his house, he realised that many people didn't have a clock, so he made one for himself, put it in his front window but facing outwards, so people passing in the dark could see the time.He was later commissioned to make the THOLSEL (Town Hall) clock, which a couple of years ago was overhauled and is still working perfectly.

You say you have someone in the know about New Ross perhaps they can fill me in even more

Regards Heppsy,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

Hi Heather,

I've had someone look into this. They have found a John Fegan who worked in Charles Street during the 1901 census. The business was called John Fegan and resident was John & Eliza Fegan, also working was Joseph McGrane. There was another clockmaker at the time in Charles Street called Shelbly, first name Barthold, and also resident there were Kathleen & Joseph Shelbly.

According to my source in 1901, number 60 South Street was Powers Draper. No mention of any Cochrane can be found at that address for they years 1855-1865, 1903 & 1930.

I know the person who was responsible for maintaining the clock in the Tholsel during the 1970's and 1980's (now retired) and will ask him for information when I meet him.

In 1865 the occupier of 60 South Street was Anne Lawrence - that could the landlord or the tenant. By 1901 this has changed to Powers as a Draper.

Can you double check that it was indeed number 60 South Street?

Hellow NEDNEW,
    Thank you for your latest email, about John Fegan, and the Tholsel Clock,

Any more information you can find me re either of these would be great.

I know my GRANDFATHER Samuel COCHRAN did his Clock and watch training
    at JOHN FEGAN'S as I have my grandfathers INDENTURE of Apprenticeship dated the 3rd day of November 1877 My grandfather Samuel was only I think 16 years old at the time.
    and sighned by a Thomas Boyd, New Ross His Mother was widowed by then but paid £21 It was signed and sealed and delivered bya James Martin Writing Clerk, New Ross, and signed by Samuel Cochran,Hannah Cochran and John Fegan.

At some point my Great Grandparents Hugh and Hannah COCHRAN(E) must have lived at number 60 South Street as my Grandfather Samuel, took my dad (who died aged 95 in 2005) as a teenager to visit New Ross, and showed him (my Dad) the house in South Street and told him about the clock, HUGH Cochran had made and put in his front window facing out so people could see the time in the dark. and also mentioned to my dad the Tholsel Clock, his father Hugh had made.

My dad was no romancer so I think somewhere a long the line we are pretty sure this is the case, but I am not sure of dates.

I have recently bought a pocket watch made by my Great Grandfather signed on the back HUGH COCHRAN ,NEW ROSS it is lovely to have.

Also I have photos of my GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHERS clock signed H. COCHRAN , LURGAN which a lady in New York City has and sent me the photos. The clock was made in about 1820's

So if you can add to any of this I would be delighted. disce50@clara.co.uk

Heather Graham, :)

Worthing,West Sussex, UK

• Advertisement

Have you seen my email to you about my Great Grandfather, HUGH COCHRAN from NEW ROSS, posted on 11/01/2010.

Please fill me in when you read it.

Thanks,

Heppy

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Hi Heppy,

Apologies for the delay in replying as I have moved job/house recently and have been away from Boards.

Unfortunately, I don't have much more information for you. However what I can do is give you some leads to follow up. The best thing would be to try contact a Mr. Tommy McLoughlin who is a retired watch/clock maker in the town. He also used to maintain the Tholsel Clock.

I'm sure if you go online you may be able to find his number (he lives near upper Mary Street).

Secondly I suggest you contact New Ross Town Council who should have records of the clock maintenance and also past historical records of who lived where back in the 1800 & 1900's.

Another possible route would be to contact the land resgistry office in Waterford who may have some records as to 60 South Street. However it all depends if the property was owned or rented.

Lastly, on South Street now there is a Newsagents called Nugents/Caulfields where they have some recently published books about the history of New Ross. Another good source wood be Nolans in South Street - they also have some historical books on New Ross - if you could get in contact with both of these places (which are both only metres away from number 60 South Street) I'm sure you will find some useful information.

Please let me know how you get on.

Good luck with it,
    NedNew

Hello Nednew,

We have been in touch before, Just wonder if you can get the 'FAMILY TREE' Magazine Autumn 2010 for this month as it has a 4 page article in it about CLOCKMAKING COCHRANES.

We have been in touch with New Ross town hall about the 'Tholsel'clock and they have confirmed all I said, in my message on this board.Also allowed us to put a photo of the clock in the article, otherwise my son wouldn't have been able to write that part of the article.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Hope you can get the magazine and perhaps read the article.

Regards Heather

Advertisement