Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filter Advice

• 05-03-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭

Howya folks hope someone can help me with selecting filters.
    Looking to buy 1or 2 N.D filters but have noticed some are ND 2 - 4 - 6 AND 8 while others are 3 - 6 - and 9. Could some one explain the difference to me please. I cant afford to buy a set so which would I be best to start with and What is the difference between Circ Pol and N.Ds? I know this has been dealth with before so if mods want to redirect me thats grand.
    Going to Italy in June, Lake Garda and plan to do a few trips Mt Baldo, a few high mountain treks(if the fags dont slow me to much) and Verona there will be plenty of water and some Snowcaps high up:)

Also am I better with screw threads or the square ones that go into holder? The budget is not great. I wont use the R word:(
    Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Who said that you cannot afford few filters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

ThOnda wrote: »

I've never used that site before. Comes recommended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

ThOnda wrote: »
    Jeasus that was quick reply, 2 replies
    Have bought plenty of batteries from them, a hamma filter and memory cards but never a filter. Found them top class but what I got was branded goods. Are their own filters any good? Do you use them? would you recommend them? I know its only £5.99 for 67mm, should I be fooled by the price? I cant afford to throw money away either. Tiffen filters can be got for €17:confused:

As my 11 year old says "stop smoking dad and buy a camera shop"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

LeoB wrote: »
    Howya folks hope someone can help me with selecting filters.
    Looking to buy 1or 2 N.D filters but have noticed some are ND 2 - 4 - 6 AND 8 while others are 3 - 6 - and 9. Could some one explain the difference to me please. I cant afford to buy a set so which would I be best to start with and What is the difference between Circ Pol and N.Ds? I know this has been dealth with before so if mods want to redirect me thats grand.
    Going to Italy in June, Lake Garda and plan to do a few trips Mt Baldo, a few high mountain treks(if the fags dont slow me to much) and Verona there will be plenty of water and some Snowcaps high up:)

Also am I better with screw threads or the square ones that go into holder? The budget is not great. I wont use the R word:(
    Thanks for your help

nd reduce light
    polarising reduce glare.

the numbers, is how much light they stop, the higher, the more light, allowing longer shutter speeds

................ Found them top class but what I got was branded goods. Are their own filters any good? ..........

I'll let you know next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Jeasus that was quick reply, 2 replies
    Have bought plenty of batteries from them, a hamma filter and memory cards but never a filter. Found them top class but what I got was branded goods. Are their own filters any good? Do you use them? would you recommend them? I know its only £5.99 for 67mm, should I be fooled by the price? I cant afford to throw money away either. Tiffen filters can be got for €17:confused:

Nope, their filters aren't worth the money. They're (at least the cheapo red/green/blue ones I got) some sort of blue dye applied rather haphazardly over glass. Uncoated aswell. You gets what you pays for ...

I'd recommend Hama or Hoya, the cheaper single coated filters from them are probably the best bang for your buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I have bought loads of stuff from 7dayshop. Great prices. Only came across one snag when I bought a UV filter about a month ago - it arrived smashed to bits. Found "Contact Us" on their site and keyed in my story. Received an email immediately saying they would send another without delay. They didnt want the broken one back or proof that it was damaged. Replacement arrived in perfect condition 4 days later. Would not hesitate to recommend them. Their filters are mainly own brand but they do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have no problems with that shop. I have UV filter so far and I have tested those ND8 just once. But I don't mind a little worse optical qualities for the purpose I had bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I'll let you know next week ;)

Well whats the verdict?

Well whats the verdict?

It arrived on Monday, but it's been dark each day since when I got home from work so haven't tried it yet...
    It does come with 7dayshop logo in a bold font plastered on side of it thou!

• Advertisement
Advertisement