Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sweet itch

Options
  • 05-03-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

New pony started to blister badly last year. I am a novice with ponys and heard about an injection called "kenalog"? It worked a treat. She got another shot of it in the Summer. I want to give it to her earlier this year. does anyone swear by any particular month to start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

It varies, my sisters little 12.2 used to get it really bad, whenever the warmth comes back into the air midges usually return. So as soon as things start to warm up a bit I'd use it right away. Preventing any itching is the best way to start. Maybe at the end of march? It was snowing here 2 days ago so it's still too cold for them to be out, but they usually come back when it heats up, I find them around usually halfway through spring.

Kenalog is great for helping reduce the chemical reaction of the allergy and reduce inflammation but I'd advise using a fly repellant as well to try and save your pony from the midges attention.

Feed additive: http://www.globalherbs.co.uk/horse/2004_pages/skin_condition.htm#FlyFree
    Been sent a tester of this will use it when the flys are out and see the results.
    Cream: http://www.botanica.ie/eshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16138&category_id=248
    Was quite effective for my pony mare who doesn't have sweet itch but was tormented by flies last year and I didn't want to have to sprasy her everyday as the fly spray dried out her coat and she didn't enjoy it. We used it around her ears, above her eyes, above her nostirls on her belly and inbetween her forelegs. She can use her mane and tail for the rest. Used as directed 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks and then I used it once weekly afterwards to keep the flys at bay.
    Spray: http://www.absorbine.com/products.html?catid=flycontrol&pageid=29
    Amazing for days out competing, or beach rides, last for hours. I buy a bottle of concentrate and water it down as I need it. Lasts me a year. Don't apply to sweating horses, they really dont like it because their pores are exposed. Handy to apply after they've been hosed off keeps the flies off till we get home. I buy it off ebay, but you might be able to get a local store to order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

does that injection last for the entire summer or do you need to top it up with a booster. also any idea how much it costs?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

does that injection last for the entire summer or do you need to top it up with a booster. also any idea how much it costs?

plus 1.
    Im interested to find out more about this injection.
    Never heard of it before.
    Thanks

my lad has sweetitch and i was very fortunate to get a second hand sweet itch rug on ebay. it's brilliant and really protects him, its like tee-shirt material and covers him from ears to tail, i wouldn't call it a boet, i actually don't know the name of it but its very good and i would recommend anyone who has a horse with sweetitch to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Unfortunately, I've become an expert on sweet itch over the last few years. Two of mine have it :(

First thing: Kenalog is a trade name for a steroid. There are two types of these - long-acting (you might get a few weeks) and short-acting (a couple of days). Steroids work by dampening down the immune system, and as sweet itch is the physical manifestation of an over-active immune response to an enzyme in the bite of the female midge (she needs a blood meal to produce eggs), the steroid will reduce the physical symptoms.

However, they won't fix the problem. AND, more importantly, THEY CARRY A SIGNIFICANT RISK - laminitis being chief amongst them. You really really really don't want to have to deal with laminitis. Trust me (been there too)

I've covered my itchy people up for the entire season for several years, and found that they were still itchy wherever their skin was exposed (even when I slathered on extra creams etc) plus they were miserable cos they were either too warm or wet (many sweet itch blankets are only shower proof), and they like to feel the air and mud on their skin.

So last year I bit the bullet and decided to go naked. I invested in a crate of Aloe Vera Vet Spray (great stuff - one spray on an itchy lump and it kills the itch instantly, lump gone in minutes), Summer Freedom (has DEET in it, which is supposed to be the only fly repellent that works on midges) and baby oil. The regime worked well - horses kept manes and tails. Once a day I'd run the SF along their crests, ears, inside thighs, back of pasterns and top of tails down to end of dock. To protect the rest of the body, I put baby oil in a spray gun (empty Aloe bottle) and pointed it into the air above the horses so it fell as droplets - midges are poor crawlers and they get caught in the oil. You have to do this every day, and even at that they would still have bad days when if I wasn't there with the aloe vera they'd've rubbed themselves raw, so don't rely totally on the repellent approach.

This year, a vet I trust gave me a bottle of Switch, made by Carr, Day & Martin. He says it's the only thing he's found to work. It's basically a permethrin-based fly repellent. You pour a capful along the mane and from the rump to the top of the tail once a week. You've got to start before the midges come out (ie right now!!). I've only started it a few days ago. Horses were itchy Sunday evening, but since treating on Monday they have been completely normal. All appendages crossed that this is going to work for them.

Finally, there is research ongoing in the UK and the US into a 'vaccine'. Trials have been held, and had good success. The treatment involves 3 injections given within a period of 2 weeks, before the start of the season, then a tablet once a week for the rest of the season. It's too early to tell if you need to treat every season or if one treatment will effect a cure. I'm told there have been some bad reactions in the States so until that's sorted, they won't get a license. In the UK, the trials concluded a year ago, and they spent last year compiling the results. They're now applying for the licence, but don't expect to be able to supply anyone with the vaccine until at least next year.

Here's a good website for info on sweet itch, also for buying Boett rugs (they're good, but Horseware do a sweet itch hoody which is just as good, and cheaper): www.sweet-itch.com

HTH
    Chindato (newbie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

Chindato wrote: »
    This year, a vet I trust gave me a bottle of Switch, made by Carr, Day & Martin.

Switch is great stuff when nothing else worked on our 12.2hh we got this. It totally came through for him. Couldn't remember the name at all untill you mentioned it. It really is brilliant! I might add though that this never really worked when we went for days out jumping and stuff he got tormented the second he stepped out of the trailer. So had to add on extra repellant. Important to wear gloves and make sure you don't get it on any cuts, this stuff stings like crazy. So you really need to start treatment before they get sores.

5 stars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Thanks for all the replys. A cure would be great; hope its not too far away.

plus 1.
    Im interested to find out more about this injection.
    Never heard of it before.
    Thanks
    The vet made a personal visit to the pony to make sure the pony wasn't overweight before he would prescribe it. He said two injections would do the trick. One in Spring and the other in Summer. Horses are in every second field here in the middlands.

He carries it all the time in the booth of his car, he dosn't push its sale but he stands by its results. It still carries a risk though.

Wicked wrote: »

Thanks
    He did the first one for 60 euro and I did (well a friend) did the second and it was 14 euro including needle I think. The results were fast and lasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Minniebea

I have heavy hairy cob that gets sweet itch badly rubbing himself raw every summer,the fly rugs don't fit because he is built like a shire !!

This year I am trying a new homoeopathic treatment called Culicoides mix I have it in a 200 strength so he will only need a few of them, definitly not every week. They have taken the horrible scottish midge and made it into a rememdy, so like curing like it should work !!!

I have my remedies from a scottish company in glasgow called Freemans, they have a webiste that is very easy to use. I also have high strength Arnica to help with bruises etc :)

I tried the injection last year which really was of no use to him..other times I use Summer Freedom.I get through pots of this stuff !!

• Advertisement

time lord wrote: »
    He did the first one for 60 euro and I did (well a friend) did the second and it was 14 euro including needle I think. The results were fast and lasting.

thanks for that i think i'll look into it, sounds like it would do the trick.

:)

whats the name of it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 park5

I heard kenalog was brilliant for sweet itch aswell and 2 yrs ago gave 3 ml to a small pony - he was highly alergic and got instant laminitis - this is rare enough seemingly but be careful. One injection lasts for about 2 or 3 months - kenalog is a human antihistimine and not recommended for horses but is used by many people. Alternatively order a sweet itch rug from website cant remember name google and you'll find it - put on early march and leave on all the time except when riding. Loads of garlic in their feed and always a stable of shed for them to go into away from the midgets - its a bloody curse.

forgive my ignorance but how would they get 'instant' laminitis. I though laminitis was the result of being overweight. Did they just pile on the pounds?

and also, that garlic comment is very interesting. Will it really help if i give it to my pony?

Cheers

Wicked

p.s the sweeitch rug i got on ebay is actually an excema (not spelt right but hopefully ye will know what i'm talking about) rug. It works for me and i seen them recently on the 'horze' magazine for 75 euro new. Which is much cheaper than the sweetitch rugs like the boett which is well over 200

There are many causes of laminitis.
    Laminitis is the name given to the symptoms associated with major inflammation occuring within the hoof. The inflammation can happen for any number of reasons, from simple mechanical causes like jarring on hard ground to acute toxicity caused by, for example, botulism (common in silage), or from a retained placenta (following foaling, obviously!). Overweight can sometimes be a factor, but is not in itself a cause. Horses which are inclined to store fat along the crests of their neck seem to be more prone to laminitic attacks associated with carbohyrdate overload (either from hard feed or fructans in grass).

And yes, a horse can be walking around perfectly normal one minute, and the next thing be hobbling around. Happened to a cob of mine within 30 mins.

Garlic may help repel flies, but ime it doesn't really work for midges. However, it has many other benefits, including reducing worm loads and as a blood tonic, so it would do no harm to try it. I have found products which contain garlic oil to be more effective than the powders or even garlic flakes.

Sweet Itch is known in Germany as 'Summer Eczema', so that might be where the name of the rug is coming from?

hth
    Chindato (newbie)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

hello
    just wondering where i could get the treatment for this, i seem to be only able to find it in the uk
    surely there is somewhere in ireland that stocks it
    thanks

Which treatment are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

a tip i picked up from a uk discussion group years ago for sweetitch which i found works brilliantly is to use a bath oil from avon. it's called skin so soft bath oil and comes in a pink and a green bottle. i only use the green one. i've 2 sweetitch sufferers and this really stops all the itching. have given it to other people to use on their sweetitch animals too and it has also worked for them. i just rub the oil into the mane and top of the tail. has a lovely scent to it and leaves the mane and tails quite silky. i'd defo recommend it as a cheap alternative to using the summer freedom ointment. plus avon often have half price sales on this oil.

also mine are allowed access to their stables whenever they want and i find they will come in from the field when it hits evening to avoid the midges...

i never even considered using the injection because of the fear laminitis from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hoffman1987

Side effects are pretty daunting in humans. I would guess that navicular would be likely in horses as most humans get ostioperosis. There are also major problems in humans if you are needing emergency treetment or surgery as the body goes in to shock easily. Do not go down this road unless it is vitally necessary. as it bring temporary relief there can be side effects, including laminitis, in some animals. With time, corticosteroids may become less effective, requiring ever larger and more frequent doses. it is a last option... hope this is helpful:rolleyes:

i've been feeding my lad garlic and i'm seeing an improvment in him, that and summer freedom seem to be working this summer.

just thought i'd share the info, he hardly scratches at all now - i do have the ezcema rug on him to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MattTheHack

Have used kenalog for years. found it brilliant. do not give to ponies or pregnant mares. unfortunetly now off the mark so stock up if you can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

Our gelding has sweet itch and there are summer rugs you can get that cover the tail area. They are light coloured to reflect the sun, soo the pony wont get too hot. They work a treat :rolleyes:

P.S. Time Lords ftw! :D

Advertisement