Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I stop the alarm on a Renault Megane going off after battery change?

• 05-03-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I changed my battery on 1997 renault megane but every time I connect the new battery the alarm goes off and I cant turn it off and the key plip is working ok but wont turn alarm off . Does anyone know what I can stop the alarm??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Let the car run with the alarm going for a bit, the alarm's internal battery may just need a little time to recharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mark2000ie wrote: »
    I changed my battery on 1997 renault megane but every time I connect the new battery the alarm goes off and I cant turn it off and the key plip is working ok but wont turn alarm off . Does anyone know what I can stop the alarm??
    stick the keys in the ignition or something, start her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

mark2000ie wrote: »

In mine there's a little box under the hood, and a tiny little key to go with it. When changing the battery you turn the key in the box to deactivate the whole thing, and then when everything's sorted turn the key back again and it's all fine. I went to change the battery at one stage without turning it off and had the same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

Cheers all, I tried leaving it running and starting it up. Thanks Thoie I was thinking that but cant find the key that you are talking about, I know I had it a few years ago but cant find it now.

couldnt find the key anywhere so I went to Renault garage to see if I could get a new one but I was told I would have to get a alarm company to sort it out!!! Does anyone know anyway I can just disconect the alarm without this key? I dont need the alarm in this car so even if I have to break it or do something that will mean I cant use it again doesnt matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll need either an alarm installer or an auto electrician to remove the alarm. If you're near Dublin city centre, give Hamiltons a call. Ph 01-4755157. They're quite reasonable, and they're good.

Cheers Anan1, I am in Dublin 15

Anan1, I have an ordinary electrican coming to the house tonight to do a small bit of work in the kitchen do you rekon he might know how to disconnect it or am I being a bit optimistic!! ( he is a friend of my nephews and I know there into cars!)

You must have been lucky, I have had two bad and unprofessional experiences with Mr. Hamilton and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone.
    Shoddy back street work from a back street hut. I wouldn’t go near them again.

They claim Auto Electrics (which as we know is a minefield) but really they should stick with Starter Motors and Alternators.
    I would be happy to elaborate on my story if anyone wishes to hear it.

My advice: what appears to be a cheaper job generally ends up being twice the price and consider yourself lucky not to have additional damage done to your precious carriage.

For the sake of the extra few quid, go to your main dealer.

I always love to hear a good story Alex :) Tell away:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement