Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair/Upgrade or New PC?

Options
  • 05-03-2009 8:57pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My current PC is as follows:

* Graphics Card: Club3D Radeon X550 256MB, 128bit,PCI Express
    * Mother Board: ABIT KN8-SLI,nForce4 SLI, Socket-939, ATX, 4xSATAII, GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-Ex16
    * Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    * Memory Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 5ns

It's got HDs, etc but that's fairly irrelevant for my wants. It's 3 years old and recently the PSU died. It'd cost about €90 to replace with a decent model.

I have about c€500 that I kinda need to spend on PC stuff sooner rather than later. Should I repair (90e) and then upgrade (given the PC is 3 years old)? Are my upgrade options limited?

Or should I stump up for a PC like this one in Komplett's clearance section? Is that a good value (it seems to be, totalling up the individual componets)? I can see it doesn't have an OS but I could swap the HD out of my current machine (or is that impossible?).

My wants:
    * Not a heavy gamer but would like a bit smoother performance (e.g. Half Life 2 "drags" a little under my current setup on full resolution)#

* Ability to store decent amount of data and good number of external USB ports (I've loads of external USB devices which my current machine can handle)

* Future proofed to a reasonable degree if I'm buying a new setup.

So given I need to spend roughly 500 (max, let's say 650), what are my best options? Repair/upgrade, new budget PC (clearance or otherwise) or some sort of odd combo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

New mobo , new processor, and new ram.
    a lot less than €600.
    the HD and dvd etc will still work on it.

(my €2 ) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's actually a really nice machine from Komplett. Great processor, lots of memory, solid graphics card - Half Life 2 would run at 1920x1200 maximum settings beautifully. If you've been getting by with an X550.....this would blow you away. Hard to fault that machine to be honest, and you'd get a good 180-200 or so for the current machine as is. Though if all you're playing is Half Life 2, a new video card, another gb of ram and a new psu would cost about 150 and perform excellently. Guess it depends on what else you do with the machine - upgrading that one isn't out of the question to be honest, though if you want to play the latest games at high settings the CPU is a bit on the old side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ixoy wrote: »
    My current PC is as follows:

* Graphics Card: Club3D Radeon X550 256MB, 128bit,PCI Express
    * Mother Board: ABIT KN8-SLI,nForce4 SLI, Socket-939, ATX, 4xSATAII, GbLAN, Firewire, PCI-Ex16
    * Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket 939, 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    * Memory Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB CL3 5ns
    this, this, this and this leaves you with change :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you were upgrading current machine I'd just go with this and leave it - putting anything more into it is really a waste considering the limitations of what you can get out of it.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=389040
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=123472

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I went with a half-way point between the two and got a 550W PSU last night as well as a couple of other small things. I didn't like the idea of letting my machine just "die".

Now I'm going to have a think over the weekend on how much more I'm willing to spend (I have to spend a certain amount - it's a "use it or lose it" scenario). It'll be more helpful when I can establish exactly how much I've left! I'm leaning towards a "lazy" approach and just buying the pre-built machine, especially given it's got a thumbs up but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unfortunately you'll soon start to be CPU-limited with that old CPU if you decide to play more recent games, and dumping it would require a new mobo and RAM as well (not that you need to spend THAT much money on them) as that's about as good as Socket 939 gets.

Advertisement