Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs vs Arsenal FA Yoof Cup QF [match thread]

• 05-03-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Live on Setanta Sports 1:
    Spurs U18s: Jansson, Smith, Cox, Parrett (C), Bostock, Caulker, Butcher, M'poku, Obika, Mason, Townsend. Subs: Butler (GK), Byrne, Oyenuga, Kasim, Nicholson.

Arsenal: Shea, Eastmond, Cruise, Frimpong, Bartley, Ayling, Watt, Coquelin, Sunu, Wilshere, Thomas. Subs: Murphy, Mann, Evina, Freeman, Blackwood.

Spurs 1-0 up through Obika after a surging run down the left from Andros Townsend. Arsenal showing some lovely touches, all very central though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Arsenal playing the better football, very assured in the build up they just need to sort out the end product. Spurs soaking up the pressure well, seem to be relying on Townsend as the outlet.

Would like to see M'poku and Mason get on the ball a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jack Wilshere looks awfully greedy. Had a great chance to feed another player through (Emmanuel-Thomas I think) but opted to blast wide instead.

Balls. 1-1, poor defending from a corner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thats a broken ankle right there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Great goal from Thomas there in the last minute of normal time. If they can hold out i'd say they deserve the win. Though Spurs have been dangerous on the break.

1-3 now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Great pass and finish for the third goal. 3-1 Arsenal game over.

Fcuk me, Obika wasteful in possession in run up to the 2nd, and was it Mason who lost the ball in the run up to the 3rd?

Threw that game away.

Still, very impressed with Townsend and Caulker, hope they make the step up next season.

Overall a two goal margin was probably about right. I think Tottenham's youths lost their legs a bit toward the end, particularly with the introduction of Murphy.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Overall a two goal margin was probably about right. I think Tottenham's youths lost their legs a bit toward the end, particularly with the introduction of Murphy.

No question Arsenal deserved to win, but I think 3-1 was harsh, particularly on our CBs who played well in general. We lost the game in central midfield IMO, familiar tale...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anyone know when the DVD is out :p

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

That's starting to sound like the "take my mother in-law...no take her" of the soccer forum. You're not Mike Reid by any chance?

No question Arsenal deserved to win, but I think 3-1 was harsh, particularly on our CBs who played well in general. We lost the game in central midfield IMO, familiar tale...:o

In one sense yes, considering two of Arsenal's goals were from ricochets and the other was a late counter attack.
    On teh other hand when you consider the sheer volume of chances Arsenal created they should have had at least two by half time. Although I'm not forgetting the sitter Obika missed. Had he put taht away Arsenal probably wouldn't have been able to come back.

Galvasean wrote: »
    In one sense yes, considering two of Arsenal's goals were from ricochets and the other was a late counter attack.
    On teh other hand when you consider the sheer volume of chances Arsenal created they should have had at least two by half time. Although I'm not forgetting the sitter Obika missed. Had he put taht away Arsenal probably wouldn't have been able to come back.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but like I said earlier, Arsenal's build up play was impressive it was the end product that needed working on. I wasn't overly worried in the 1st half tbh, I felt the back four were doing a decent job of soaking up the pressure.

Differences in fitness told in the end.

No arguing Arsenal played the better football though, too many of our players were sloppy on the ball.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would have liked to have seen this one but alas I was on pub duty.

Looks like Arsenal yoof played a 4-4-1-1, with a midfield of Thomas-Frimpong-Coquelin-Watt and Wilshere behind Sunu...

How were Coquelin, Thomas and Bartley? Also for Spurs, what was Bostock like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OPENROAD wrote: »

Knowledge is knowing tomatoes are a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad.

I tended to zone out when they were mentioning Arsenal names, but I though Thomas had a good game and Sunu was a real handful.

Bostock reminded me of a young Jenas, which means I'll hate him more often than I'll like him...:D Townsend was our best player by a country mile, real livewire on either wing. Caulker had a great game at CB as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Watched this game last night, it was great that Setanta were showing it.
    Though it was a good quality game with Arsenal having alot of the ball but Spurs looking good on the counter.
    For Arsenal Frimpong was outstanding in midfield and my MOTM also the CH Bartley looked assured and good in the air. Wilshere was trying to do too much and alot of his shooting was terrible by his standards. Sunu also looks a good player and what a finish from Murphy when he came on.
    Hope they can go on and win it now

Coquelin's passing was quite sloppy. I've been hearing good things about him, but wasn't impressed by him on my first time seeing him. E-Thomas looked good; great position and generally comfortable on the ball. He's the spitting image of Adeaayor too.
    Bostock, along with Townsend were probably Spurs' best players on the night. Honorable mention to the Spurs goalie (Jansson) too, looked fairly solid when called upon, couldn't be blamed for any of the goals a great prospect for the future.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Knowledge is knowing tomatoes are a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad.

Would it be bad form to tell the soccer mod that the rugger forum is thataway? >>>>>>>

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but like I said earlier, Arsenal's build up play was impressive it was the end product that needed working on. I wasn't overly worried in the 1st half tbh, I felt the back four were doing a decent job of soaking up the pressure.

Indeed, I was thinking during the first half 'Young players, same old story'.

Advertisement