Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coming off the pill and TTC

• 05-03-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm so frustrated and confused at the moment.
    Came off the pill the end of November as we decided on ttc. Was on the pill for 8 years.
    My cycle prior to being on the pill was regular enough and varied between 32 and 36 days.
    Since November I have had one 46 day cycle, followed by a very light period and I am currently on my second cycle . . . today is day 56.
    I have done a pregnancy test and got a big fat negative!:(
    I don't have any early pregnancy symptoms.
    I have had some stomach cramps for the past few days and am presuming my period is on it's way.
    I understand that it may take my body a while to adjust to being off the pill but what I really want to know is if anyone else has experienced this great of an irregularity in their cycle after coming off the pill or should I be worried?
    Sorry for the big long rant but I'm starting to get down in myself and really needed to get this off my chest! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It can take up to in some cases 6 months for you system to reset it's self after
    being on the oral contraception pill for that long.
    I would suggest you look at improving your diet and taking folic acid and if you are concerned talk to your dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 curly_girly

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It can take up to in some cases 6 months for you system to reset it's self after
    I would suggest you look at improving your diet and taking folic acid and if you are concerned talk to your dr.

Thanks very much for your advice!
    Have a reasonably good diet already and exercise often.
    Been taking folic acid for 14 weeks now and a prenatal multivitamin.
    Have spoken to doctor and he said maybe that's just my cycle now . . .
    I felt he could have given a better answer!
    I understand that it will take my body a while to readjust I'm suppose I'm just wondering or looking for confirmation from someone that what I'm going through IS just my body readjusting . . . ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thaedydal wrote: »

Hi, the diet thing works well especially for the man to strenghten his swimmers. This happened to us and I found help on a web site that suggested we have sex every 3 days to max the chances. Me being the devil I am edited the saved document to 2 days (Would have went one but would be chancin my arm) It took us 7 months but needless to say (Pity - lol) the o/h is pregnant. Try not to get anxious. friend of ours were exactly the same. Getting anxious does not help.

Hi, the diet thing works well especially for the man to strenghten his swimmers. This happened to us and I found help on a web site that suggested we have sex every 3 days to max the chances. Me being the devil I am edited the saved document to 2 days (Would have went one but would be chancin my arm) It took us 7 months but needless to say (Pity - lol) the o/h is pregnant. Try not to get anxious. friend of ours were exactly the same. Getting anxious does not help.

Congratulations to you and your o/h!
    Thanks very much for your reply and advice.
    Trying very hard not to get anxious but tis easier said then done!
    Am just gonna have to stop worrying bout it.
    It will happen when it's the right time for us.
    And just like ye - maybe it will take 7 months, maybe longer . . .
    but just think of all the fun we'll have trying! :D
    Thanks again, sometimes it's nice to just talk it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Hey curly_girly. I've just replied to you in the chat thread, I prolly should have put it here!

• Advertisement

Hey curly_girly. I've just replied to you in the chat thread, I prolly should have put it here!

Daz ok, I still got it! replied to you on there too! :)

Day 64 . . . . And counting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Day 64 . . . . And counting

Oh Curly-girly. I do feel your pain. Am a bit behind to you as I only came off pill in Jan. But I'm on day 58 and wondering when the heck periods will come back. Was on pill for 6.5 years. But I do understand how frustrating it is. It's so annoying when there's nothing you can do to speed it up either.

Do keep us posted when your next cycle begins...

Thanks!

prissylee wrote: »
    Oh Curly-girly. I do feel your pain. Am a bit behind to you as I only came off pill in Jan. But I'm on day 58 and wondering when the heck periods will come back. Was on pill for 6.5 years. But I do understand how frustrating it is. It's so annoying when there's nothing you can do to speed it up either.

Do keep us posted when your next cycle begins...

Thanks!

Yea! I'm not alone!!!!! Thanks for your reply prissylee! Even just knowing someone else is in the same boat makes me feel a little better.
    Day 77 . . . and still counting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Yea! I'm not alone!!!!! Thanks for your reply prissylee! Even just knowing someone else is in the same boat makes me feel a little better.
    Day 77 . . . and still counting :(

Thanks for that curly_girly. It's reassuring for me too let me tell ya. On day 62 myself...and counting! Sometimes i curse having stayed on pill for so long, but like alot of us here, we prevented pregnancy for so long. There's always something, the career, then marriage and then when we do decide we want a family, it feels like it's never simple! Do hope you're not counting for too long more! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

Day 77 . . . and still counting frown.gif

I'd take another test if i were you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Yes, take another test or visit GP for blood-based pregnancy test for your own peace of mind & anxiety.

Do remember you've been taking a drug to prevent pregnancy for nearly a decade now, it's going to take your body a while to get rid of all of it, re-train itself & get back to normal cycles.
    Think about how long we normally go on a 'detox' diet for and that's with using the 'special' detox potions/aids to assist with this.

MissesMe wrote: »
    I'd take another test if i were you
    Dfens wrote: »
    Yes, take another test or visit GP for blood-based pregnancy test for your own peace of mind & anxiety.

Do remember you've been taking a drug to prevent pregnancy for nearly a decade now, it's going to take your body a while to get rid of all of it, re-train itself & get back to normal cycles.
    Think about how long we normally go on a 'detox' diet for and that's with using the 'special' detox potions/aids to assist with this.

took another test - negative as i expected. made an appointment with doctor. still no period. day 84 and counting . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

I'm on day 47 of my second cycle, haven't ovulated yet, so I'm going to be into the 60s at the earliest for my period.

Was at the doctor last week for something unrelated and she took bloods. I mentioned the long wait for ovulation and she said she'd get some hormone tests done to see what's going on. Hopefully she'll have some news today.

I'm not sweating it though, I know it's normal after so long on the pill.

In response to what Thaed said at the top of the thread, it apparently usually takes 6 months to sort out when you're on the pill for more than a year or two, 18months is still in the normal range for your cycle sorting itself out.

Advertisement