Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting Nervous New Models

• 05-03-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all

Any tips on how to make models relax? When I do my shoots, they're never models - always random members of the public. The pictures I take when they don't know I'm snapping away are great, but when they see the camera aimed at them, they stiffen up and "pose". For some reason, their shoulders generally rise about 3 inches!!!

Any tips on poses or anything else that can help them relax a bit and loosen up?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

drugs....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I am no expert, but I have recently been shooting nervous models with different levels of success. One thing you could do is to give your model something to hold by introducing some props to the scene. Could be a ball, or a tennis raquet, or a stick, anything really that they can play with. It helps take their mind off the shot.

While you are shooting, you can show them the better ones as you go along. This will make them more comfortable in the knowledge that you can make them look good. Crack jokes, make them laugh. Act the boffon, This can work too.

Hope this helps
    Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

As Oshead says, crack a few jokes to get them to relax or put on some of their favourite music loudly

Create some distraction after the first few shots where they've tensed up and tried to pose ala the chic mags.

I ask them not to look into the lens but first over one of my shoulders and then the other and have found that helps too.

Really you need to get them to act naturally to get the best results - that in effect is they need to forget you are there clicking away and therin is the small problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Music was one of the ideas I had but wasn't sure. The shots are mainly wedding dresses and wasn't sure about sticking an ipod into speakers in a bridal studio!!!

What I've done is get them to pose like the magazine, they go along with it a bit apprehensively, more and more bizarre photos then VOGUE. We have a good laugh and I get a few snaps of natural laughter.

Also, "oh dear, my camera is on the blink" and get her talking to the people on the sideline. A few snaps of natural conversation etc.

These result in about 4 or 5 good photos so it's not a good resolution. I'll try out the music and gauge the reaction of the model & shop owner.

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

If they're random members of the public that your taking pictures of it's unlikely that they're going to relax when you approach them and ask them to hold a pose , if they're not relaxed I'd imagine they'd still look tense in any pose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

* Some music pumping on the side
    * Have a good chat with them, tell a few jokes, help them relax
    * Give them a foot massage... ok don't but joke about it, break the ice
    * Get them to act like an idiot (no joke). Tell them to jump up and down, this will get their mind off the shots all together. Even do it with them. It will get them laughing and a very nice relax, natural smile will pop out :)

The main thing is to joke around and have fun in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

bedlam wrote: »
    tell them to imagine you naked!

The bold bit is very important!! Don't just whip it off in an attempt to help them relax!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I find this get better the more you do it and eventually you dont even notice somebody is nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Borderfox wrote: »
    I find this get better the more you do it and eventually you dont even notice somebody is nervous.

Keith, in fairness it's not really the nervousness that, IMHO, is the problem, more the tensed up look like a rabbit caught in the headlights and the false forced smiles.

Maybe the more you do these shoots the less you, not you personally, become apprehensive and engage in normal banter to relax the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 whitetea

I personally don't like music during the photo shoot, because i fell like its distracting everybody (esspecially me). What I usually do is before the photo shoot we have a relaxed cup of tea/coffee, few sandwiches (they often are hungry) and then after cloths are fitted and make up done we start of the photo shoot. With the new models they often don't know their body at all, so clear directions are the best way to start of. After around 50 frames you can then show them the pictures that you took and discuss what angles work best for them or what they should avoid. After I get body in control I start working on the face expression. Usually the young model is used to the camera and flash at this stage, so its an easy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There can actually be nervous feedback - photographer being nervous causes the model to be nervous, which causes the photographer to be more nervous ... or vice versa.

Sit down, have a chat, have a laugh, crack a few jokes.

Take a few photos, that you'll bin. Make some comments - about the weather, the economic state of the country, anything, so that they're not thinking of the camera, and then start snapping again.

You want to have them thinking of everything except the fact there's a camera there.

It can have a lot to do with your own confidence and personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Right...

Don't let the shoot be the first time you meet the model, if at all possible. Any previous meetings, if only for a coffee, will lead to a better working relationship between model and photographer. Familiarity means it'll be easier to both talk to the model, and know how he/she works for the camera.

Be confident. Not arsehole confident, but confident - Even if your camera has a sh*tfreak and stops working - Don't panic. If you show a lack of confidence, it can easily come across in the work. It may lead to the model being concerned as to how the shoot goes.

Talk. Converse. About anything, everything.

Getting a good photograph is often about negotiation. The model may well have an image in their head about how they should be represented, as will you. As will the stylist, as will the MUA, as will everyone else attending. Get these out in the open. You need to know what everyone wants out of it. Get people to bring samples of what they want, what they like and so on.

Chances are, there'll be more than a few ideas you won't agree with, but work with them before you throw them out the window - Tell them you'll try their way then yours - Seriously, negotiation.

Let the model get used to you taking photographs, start off taking more casual snaps while chatting. You may or may not get a good photograph out of it, but it'll get the model used to the camera. Get some magazines with poses if they want. When they set a pose up, check their face, is there a hair over their eyes, is the position of their shoulder giving wrinkles in the neck - They're not going to know where to put it, so just tell 'em to. You might feel awkward doing so at first, but hey - It's for the shoot.

I wouldn't worry too much about music unless it's essential for the shoot. I'd rather be able to talk and direct the model without having to talk over music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Show them pictures at least on the screen of camera. That'll break the tension and they will see that they look really good (if they do).
    And there is the eldest method, of course - alcohol :-)

Only start the whole 'showing images on the back of the screen' when you're confident enough that every shot is going to be fantastic - Nothing worse than showing them at the wrong moment, or if they're not looking their best! This is also why you should chimp too much - If you show a bad reaction to a photograph, people can get quite self concious, so you gotta keep'em in the happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭positron

I don't know, but in the thousands of youtube fashion shot videos, the photographer seems to keep talking to the model, mostly encouraging and keeps shooting continuously. That probably wouldn't give any model much of a chance to "hold" a pose... because they are also moving and doing various stuffs.

Just thinking out loud.., I have never done it, and I personally think I will be more nervous than the model!

Absolutely, keep on talking. Keep the model moving, when you do see something you like say 'HOLD THAT', then direct eyes, direction, and other minor details if needed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Models are one thing and snapping random people on the street is another altogether. Models can be dealt with in a number of ways depending on their personality, however for off the cuff snaps I find pointing at the camera then giving them a quick thumbs up instead of verbally asking is much better. I did this today with Gerry Adams and Michael D. Higgins. I caught Michael Twee's eye, gave him the thumbs up, he nodded (without Adams noticing) and I rattled of two before Adams turned to me. I then verbally asked permission and just took one as by then they were posing. The usual (as said) shoulders up and un-natural look.
    Verbals break the flow and alert the subject in a way that changes their natural gait. Pointing to camera and then a thumbs up for approval works a lot better for me anyway.

(Gotta wait a week now for results of Higgins/Adams photos as I snapped them on Neopan but I know the two taken before full alert will be better then the posed ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

I'm at this on a daily basis and I'm a huge talker! From the minute I meet them I talk and talk not in a scary way but just keep on chatting and they begin to feel at ease. It works cause on days where I have been off form (lack of sleep from kids etc) I find he/she/they sense it and it's harder to relax them. I just chat about myself, make jokes and ask them about themselves. Before they realise it I'm asking them to sit this way move that way - all the while still chatting about general things before they know it it's over! Their reaction is great. At times where you don't get a talker it can be hard as it gets quiet and then as a result tense and even harder to get them to relax. So that's my method - talk talk and talk some more, :) works every time!! Try it and see over time you might find your own method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Hi all

Any tips on how to make models relax? When I do my shoots, they're never models - always random members of the public. The pictures I take when they don't know I'm snapping away are great, but when they see the camera aimed at them, they stiffen up and "pose". For some reason, their shoulders generally rise about 3 inches!!!

Any tips on poses or anything else that can help them relax a bit and loosen up?

you must:

• stop dribbling / drooling
    • try blinking, you will look more normal
    • keep your shorts on
    jeez no wonder they are nervous....

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Ciaran187 wrote: »
    Hi all

Crack some jokes.
    Then take few shots & show it to the model. Highlight how great she is but point out the little niggles that you want to iron out in the next lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement