Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking down and eliminating draughts

Options
  • 05-03-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I need someones help. I have a 5/6 year old semi d house. I am in my living room and there is a small gale blowing in under the living room door. I can not track down the source. I have gone around all windows/doors with a candle to source a draught and found nothing conclusive. There could be a slight issue around attic door. Is there anything obvious I should be doing or looking out for to eliminate this problem . As a consequence my living room does not hold heat very well so I have to keep the gas on longer - (more gas - bigger bills). Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I need someones help. I have a 5/6 year old semi d house. I am in my living room and there is a small gale blowing in under the living room door. I can not track down the source. I have gone around all windows/doors with a candle to source a draught and found nothing conclusive. There could be a slight issue around attic door. Is there anything obvious I should be doing or looking out for to eliminate this problem . As a consequence my living room does not hold heat very well so I have to keep the gas on longer - (more gas - bigger bills). Any suggestions appreciated

If you have any sort of fire in the sitting room and no vent anywhere to supply combustion air to it, then air will be drawn in under the door from somewhere, probably a number of places where small air leaks can occur. No house can ever be airtight. So the first questions are do you have a gas or solid fuel fire in your sitting room? Or if you have gas central heating and rads in the room, is there a chimney and a fireplace that's not used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Might also be a good idea to check the wall vent are clear.

As Art says. check the fire place.

Its good to have some type of vent in your home for your own health and safety.

you can buy brush type draft excluder in any hardware shop.

All you need to fit them is a junior hack saw to cut them to length and a screw driver. They are very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It could well be the attic door... its the sort of draft you don't notice when your on the landing as its coming in so high up.... unlike a window as you'd notice the draft standing beside it...

I'd insulate the back of the attic door, then buy/make up some sort of draft excluder for around it..... I had the same problem this winter around the attic door.... I just used some folded over carpet and a staple gun to hold it in place, worked perfectly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 balbrigganseye

I have a gas fire in the room , one rad and the usual air vent that is clear.
    I had an attic stairs put in a few months ago so I have an attic door on a hinge rather than an attic board that sits perfectly into a frame .ie there are little gaps. I think i will start insulating that area.

Thanks all for your help.

Advertisement