Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels New York

• 05-03-2009 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

just looking to see if anyone has a good site for cheap hotels in new york thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

I used Hotwire.com last year and got the barclay intercontinental hotel, classy hotel within walking distance of most things.
    Only thing about hotwire is that you don't know what hotel you have booked into until after its paid for, plus no canellations, refunds etc.
    Big savings though!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭me1724

New website advertised in the paper over the weekend havnt looked at it myself yet so dont know what its like

http://www.visitnewyork.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

cheap hotels in n.y.c. are cheap for some reason, either location, heighbourhood, keeping some welfare guests, poor hygiene, cockroaches etc, hotels in n.y.c. need to be researched, or recomended. we always use the lucerne, its on 79th st, no 201, between columbus and amsterdam avenues, it has a real nice resturant attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

we're going there in november for 7 days but the only hotels within our budget that have good feedback seem to be those near jfk airport.
    there's a free shuttle to & from the airport & to the local subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

i stayed in the st. james hotel last year when i went and have to say it is a pretty nice hotel, with great location and nice staff. Also price is not to bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

I went there last October for a week.
    Hotels are expensive, and if you go cheap you get really cheap or in a crap location.
    In the end we got a subletlet apartment from sublet.com, really good location (2 min walk from Times Square and Broadway).
    I was worried before I went that it wouldn't work out, because you really are just trusting someone else that you've never met.
    Think it worked out at about €1000 for the week between myself and the girlfriend, and what we got was way better than any hotel for the equivalent price. Plus, because its an apartment you have cooking facilities, which also save a LOT, as eating in NY can be very expensive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

in reply to angry inch, dining out in n.y.c. is cheap, christmas dinner in one of the better manhattan resturants cost me $23 + $5 tip, roughly 23 euro, a large steak in mustang harrys cost $18. breakfast in any diner $8. + coffee is free, all you can drink of it, here it is 2 euro per cup, more in places. drink and shoes are reasonable expensive, $7 for a shot the same for a beer or guinness, bottled or draught, no bottled guinness, drink is the same price from one end of manhattan to the other, ie times square to 79th st. food and clothes and cheap. some stores give you 11% off on producing your passport. a 20 minute cab ride is approx $15 + tip. 5 minutes in dublin cab last sunday morning cost 8 euro and 45 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

You'll get some good deals on business type hotels at weekends. We stayed a few nights in nice 2* hotel in manhattan and then moved to a really nice 4* hotel next door for a special 3 night rate that was the same price as the 2*. Wasn't as much hassle as it sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

raddo wrote: »
    I used Hotwire.com last year and got the barclay intercontinental hotel, classy hotel within walking distance of most things.
    Only thing about hotwire is that you don't know what hotel you have booked into until after its paid for, plus no canellations, refunds etc.
    Big savings though!

+1, used Priceline.com last year (similar to Hotwire), got a central Manhattan 4* hotel for $180/night, usual rate is over $500/night. Use biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of winning bids, hotel lists etc.

New York has so many good 4*/5* hotels that using auction sites makes real sense - you shouldn't be stuck with a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Reniassance Times Square is $239 per night prepaid rate, usually $350+. Although $239 seems fair pricey, its actually an extremely plush 4* business hotel, most comfortable bed Ive ever been in/amazing room + view.

I have friends who paid $195 for an average at best 3* that I couldn't get over. All for the difference of €30 odd per night. When you're picking a New York hotel it pays to pay that extra few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Just dragging this up again. I am booking a hotel in New York in September. Trying to use priceline.com but am I right in saying it only allows USA and Canada addresses? I can't seem to see where I put in Ireland???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 g021283

went to new york before christmas the last 2 yrs....stayed in the edison on 42nd st and fitzpatrick on 50 something st....the fitzpatrick was lovely...really nice staff...nice rooms...nice food....irish breakfast!!...its a bit of a walk to times sq....thats the only thing that would put me off it....a taxi is never far away....stayed in the edison the first time,,,,the hotel is fairly basic....but clean and the staff were helpful....the best things about it are its cheap and when you step out the front door...turn right...walk 50 feet and your in the middle of times sq...super location...i would try out one of these websites... www.touramerica.ie
    www.americanholidays.com www.travelpaths.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

Me and the missus are going in November and staying in the Milford Plaza TS for 5 nights and got it for €120 a night, thought that was alright. Booked it on hotels.com under the special deals tab, there's usualy a few in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mjgdunne

Hey, Im travelling to new york on the 8th - 13th November with two friends, we need to find a hotel sharing a triple room. Iv been trauling the internet trying to find something cheap and central, im not that pushed on it being a fancy hotel as long as it has a bed as im on a budget althought i dont want a complete dive, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

If u wanna save money try hostels....

I stayed here http://www.timessquarebeds.com/ a while back. There was 3 of us, we a small room for 4 so it was perfect. Was around $40pp a night and its a few mins from times square. Only probs are shared bathroom(never bothered me tho)... U get free net access and printer etc, use of kitchen and you'll meet some sound people...

There's no point in spending big for accomodation in NYC, u'll never be in the room. All u need is a comfy bed n a hot shower n ur sorted...

Advertisement