Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late competition

• 05-03-2009 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere i can see the entries for the competition thats on tv tomorrow night? My cousin is in the final and i want to see her photo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

24 of the best entries . . . . .

http://blog.ireland.com/itb_yourpics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Not to be a bastard but have you tried just using Google?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

"Viewers were asked to submit a photo which conceptualizes their GOAL for the year"

Approximately ONE of those pictures conform to the brief of the competition. The rest are just a bunch of randoms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Usual mix of the good to the not so good.

Don't see how most of them would meet showing your Goal for the Year though, which was the theme given.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Come on now ..... This is the Late Late ..... it's not like it's serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

"Viewers were asked to submit a photo which conceptualizes their GOAL for the year"

Approximately ONE of those pictures conform to the brief of the competition. The rest are just a bunch of randoms...

Totally, and that one which DOES conform is probably the secondmost unoriginal shot there, right after the amazingly dull self protrait shot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

correct me if I'm wrong but - the only one that actually hints at a "Goal" to achieve this year is clearly the "Quit" one !!!

IMO A winner - inventive and gets a message out.

C'mon lads the Puffin qualifies surely.

"My Goal for 2009 is to catch loads of fish" :pac:

*sighs* Why even bother having a remit?

Why not just say "We don't really care once people realise the GOAL are involved and we won't bother inforcing any actual rules so do what you want"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well i found it on that page, thanks for posting. I dont think ill say which one it is, just in cause she gets abused.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

It can be soul destroying to see some of the junk that does well in most of these media competitions. :)

Obviously there is some very good stuff also but from what I can see, the vast majority of it is junk.

You'd wonder why people bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Best title: "look carefully for the water dripping from as the fish exits the water" (for the dolphin picture)

Is that "lady in red" picture not a cover (for want of a better word) of a national geographic picture?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Melion wrote: »
    Well i found it on that page, thanks for posting. I dont think ill say which one it is, just in cause she gets abused.

She will NOT get abused ..... unless someone is mighty brave or might foolish.

Her Photograph will probably get discussed & criticised, as that is what we do here.

The thing that is in question mainly is the lack of adherence to any sort of rules. If this were a real photographic competition on the same theme, then most of those entries would be disqualified. For example, the photo of the Puffin would do well in a "Nature" competition but I cannot see how it has any place in this one.

Nisio wrote: »
    Is that "lady in red" picture not a cover (for want of a better word) of a national geographic picture?

It's a pretty common image, you see dozens and dozens of such shots on Flickr.

No idea what it is doing in that comp though.

Melion wrote: »

You can tell her that the photo of the dog on the beach is very nice.

How it's her GOAL for the year is another story though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It just seems like a bunch of completely random shots with nothing in common, there's no way more than one or two actually have anything to do with the 'Goal' title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ballyman wrote: »
    You can tell her that the photo of the dog on the beach is very nice.

How it's her GOAL for the year is another story though :)

I like the dog on the beach too. Read the story she posted up about it, with a little stretching of the imagination you could suggest that the dogs goal for this year was to make a full recovery!

The idea should be that the GOAL would be obvious from the photograph alone. If you need an accompanying story then the image has failed to communicate the set subject.

It's only when it has passed that first test that the images should then be judged for their photographic merit.

That's how I would judge it if it were me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    The idea should be that the GOAL would be obvious from the photograph alone. If you need an accompanying story then the image has failed to communicate the set subject.

It's only when it has passed that first test that the images should then be judged for their photographic merit.

Yeah I wonder about that selection there, if that's actually the shortlist. Did they receive only a handful of entries ? Are the rest of the entries of such appalling quality that they're in some way LESS worthwhile than a self portrait snapshot taken by someone with their new camera in front of a mirror ??!? The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »

Thats a bit too strict really.

For instance the guidlines mention climbing a mountain and a photo of the mountain.

But I agree there shoud be some connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Nisio,
    There was documentary on satellite recently about the photographer returning to pakistan to find that girl 17 years on......

afghan-girl.jpg

Niall

My money, for what it's worth is on "Demolition in Ballymun"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I was amazed to see I recognised three of the entrants there - small world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Arciphel wrote: »
    I was amazed to see I recognised three of the entrants there - small world!

I know 3 myself. The puffin shot is from one of the lads I photograph the hurling with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

the prize is
    the opportunity of a lifetime - to spend a week assisting award winning Julien Behal as he shoots images for the 2010 GOAL Calendar in India. The winner will also receive a brand new Canon DSLR camera and have their winning photo published in the Irish Times and 2010 GOAL calendar.

Look out for the five finalists on this tonight's Late Late Show.

Fairly serious prize for an amateur that was looking to turn pro.

http://www.goal.ie/

wished I had entered :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

3321740793_c13e2485da.jpg

I took this specifically for the competition... The caption was cheesy but appropriate for me. "My GOAL for 2009 is to climb that mountain and get on top of life".

Didn't hear a squak from the organisers, however. :( I'm a little disappointed with the choices of photographs as it really is a random choice that doesn't really connect with the brief. Same old...

Having seen the last two Late Late competitions I would seriously wonder how/if they are judged.

Comps generally are a lottery, eye of the beholder and all that, but being so off brief for most, would make you wonder. :p:p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

a bunch of random shorts with no connection at all, some nice shots but I fail to see the "goal" link

• Advertisement

Well ..... I have just seen the result. Old man with paper & tea. Sean Murphy.

Nice enough image but I fail to see the theme in that image at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

I was hoping to hear the photographer talk about the picture (background, etc), slightly disappointed by that.

Managed to get one in the slideshow beforehand but thats not much use.

Was it on theme?

Go on .... throw it up here.

It was on theme, but from my perspective. Not overly obvious though.

There was quite a comprehensive verbal spiel required which is also not obvious.

The best photo you've taken and why, why photography is important for Goal and the your caption and link to your goal.

Once I find mine I'll put it up.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

The winning picture was good but the GOAL was not very well shown in the picture!

• Advertisement

Jesus I'll have to learn to file stuff properly:eek:

Here is a poorly processed version anyway

A29353C1231946ADAC8B7A910292BD85.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I remember that from the slide show. Very well done...

It was one that caught my eye too.

What's the Goal?

Ah sorry,the goal. Much like the winner's goal actually.

To photograph multi-cultural inter-racial (I had a better word, forgotten it now) co-operation in Ireland and Overseas. It is actually a real goal of mine.

bedlam wrote: »
    was there an explanation as to what the photographers goal was?

I think it was to photograph the people of West Cork (may have been east though).

In fairness a worthy winner was chosen at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Covey wrote: »
    Jesus I'll have to learn to file stuff properly:eek:

Here is a poorly processed version anyway

A29353C1231946ADAC8B7A910292BD85.jpg

Well done! Congrads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lol. I don't think I've ever seen as much crap entered in a competition before...

What's with the dolphin one?! Their goal is to be a dolphin?... :confused:

What a bloody joke. Even a photo of a box of condoms would be much better suited....and obvious :pac:

There was no range of shots either. All of them seemed to be either "people" or "photojournalism" shots.

There was no landscape or still life/abstract stuff at all. Your man Behal is of course a photojournalist with PA. Bit stupid really to have someone biased towards this kind of stuff judging a comp where the theme was your GOAL for the year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

To say they are all crap is nonsense, the problem is that the organsers have not asked the submitters to explain their goal, the winning picture was very good as was coveys and neither Goal was obvious but when explained made sense, Mele did you enter the competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

There was no range of shots either. All of them seemed to be either "people" or "photojournalism" shots.

There was no landscape or still life/abstract stuff at all. Your man Behal is of course a photojournalist with PA. Bit stupid really to have someone biased towards this kind of stuff judging a comp where the theme was your GOAL for the year!!

To be fair now, the prize is a trip with a photojournalist to capture images for the new Goal calendar. The focus of this trip will be photojournalism so taking along someone who takes photos of kittens in their kitchen or a nice shot of a mountain would be a bit pointless.

Also, Julien Behal is one of the finest photographers in Ireland at the moment and I think the idea of bias here is unfounded.
    While the theme might have been a bit of a stretch in certain cases, they appeared to look for potential and an understanding of what photojournalism is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Lol. I don't think I've ever seen as much crap entered in a competition before...

What's with the dolphin one?! Their goal is to be a dolphin?... :confused:

What a bloody joke. Even a photo of a box of condoms would be much better suited....and obvious :pac:

A bit harsh maybe. I saw the 5 finalists shown on the telly and thought they were solid enough. Ok, yes i've seen better (often in the random thread here) but I thought it was reasonable enough. Like others I didn't see the conect to the theme for many of them - the personal goal element of it.

The processing on the winning image is a little heavy for my liking but fair play to him for submitting and well done to him on the win.

shepthedog wrote: »
    The focus of this trip will be photojournalism so taking along someone who takes photos of kittens in their kitchen or a nice shot of a mountain would be a bit pointless.

I know what you are saying but have a look at what they wrote on their website about the comp
    To enter for this once in a lifetime opportunity simply send us a photograph depicting your GOAL for the coming year. It could be a shot of the mountain you plan to climb, the dress that you will finally fit into, or the puppy you've promised the kids for ages - you get the idea

OK, so obviously this is only the brief and is open to interpretation but to limit everything to photojournalism afterwards then is a little pointless. Why not state in the brief that they were looking for this kind of shot?

To be fair to the winner, it was the best photo by a long way in the top 5 and I'm not disputing how good or bad Mr Behal is either. Just that the brief and Goal theme was all wrong and made zero sense.

OK, so obviously this is only the brief and is open to interpretation but to limit everything to photojournalism afterwards then is a little pointless. Why not state in the brief that they were looking for this kind of shot?

Not sure thats fair to be honest. It appears to me, most people like myself choose photographic goals, rather than personal goals, which would be more difficult maybe to portray in a photo, hence the bigger emphasis on photojournalism.

Anyway, I'm not aware of any other photographic genre of note ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It was the same with the last Late Late Show competition, crap pictures which dont even come close to the remit and an even dodgier selection process. Seems to be a common thread with a lot of competitions I have seen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Borderfox wrote: »
    It was the same with the last Late Late Show competition, crap pictures which dont even come close to the remit and an even dodgier selection process. Seems to be a common thread with a lot of competitions I have seen.

You have to admit though that the late late is very good and just picking random stuff, we should run a competition for the most random competitions :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement