Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats is the current status of threatened strikes at Dublin Bus

• 05-03-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know?
    Trilla wrote: »
    Just a quick one, is the strike for 9th and 10th of March off? Or has is just been moved to another date?

thanks
    Trilla

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Victor wrote: »
    Anyone know?

It is still in the labour court

As I predicted here the company withdrew the threat to make the 160 drivers redundant and instead wants to sack them and rehire them as part time/ casual drivers that they can use if and when they need them.
    As I said they never intended to make them completely redundant hence the resistance to voluntary redundancy.

The word today was that it is not looking good and they expect the talks to collapse at any time as absolutely no progress has been made since Monday.

The strikes for the 9th and 10th wont go ahead I would not think but once the talks collapse then it is all up in the air if the company push ahead with their plans without any agreement then effectively we would have a strike from that date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Possibility of one this Saturday?

doesnt seem to be anything on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Im hearing reports that saturday's has been called off too. Not official yet mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Aren't they implementing the cuts Sunday though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Labour Court discussions pencilled in for the 31st March so implementation of the work practices from a company perspective have been deferred for this weekend. I assume the unions will follow suit with regards to this weekends proposed stoppages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

Well as far as i know, the LRC contacted all parties involved and as of 4 pm today the Company has not indicated which way they are going to go. (could have changed since then), but if not, strike going ahead on sat for NBRU and from sun for SIPTU.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Threatened strike action by drivers at Dublin Bus this weekend was called off this afternoon following intervention from the Labour Court.

SIPTU and the NBRU have been invited to the Labour Court next Tuesday to investigate the issues relating to the cost-effectiveness plan for drivers.

Services at Dublin Bus would have been hit on Sunday if management had proceeded with their plans to implement the new controversial cost-cutting plans.

SIPTU described the development as a welcome one for the travelling public, but said the Court faces a major challenge in finding a resolution.

TAKEN FROM BREAKINGNEWS.IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Planned-service-changes-29th-March-deferred/
    Planned service changes 29th March deferred
    Thursday, March 26, 2009

Planned service changes 29th March deferred

The service changes due to take place on Sunday 29th of March have been deferred. Dublin Bus has been invited to attend a Labour Court hearing on Tuesday March 31st and has accepted this invitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Word is that the Labour Court have concluded talks with the unions and management and that a recommendation will be issued to both sides tomorrow

I can't see that it will be very much different from their previous recommendation, so don't hold your breath for an agreement by staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

News reports yesterday state Dublin Bus are loosing half a million a week. I think they have to implement something soon to stop those massive losses.

• Advertisement

Talks concluded just before lunch today, as far as i have heard there has not been too much change from the first Cost cutting plan.

Bogie staff loss of shift pay has been removed, that much i have had confirmed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

but I believe that Dublin Bus have agreed to continue to pay the Eastlink toll bridge charges for its employees commuting into work.

know nothing about that am afraid. No details till tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

News reports yesterday state Dublin Bus are loosing half a million a week. I think they have to implement something soon to stop those massive losses.

This "News" report in itself interested me.

The Evening Herald carried it under Cormac Murphy`s by line and in it he initially described Dublin Bus as claiming it was "losing" €500,000 for every week that it`s Emergency Plan was not implemented.

However,the only references to actual statements came from a highly unusual angle indeed, A Dept of Transport source.
    This sourcing of an Opinion from such a central player in this nasty little scenario represents a first for me.
    Never before have I seen or heard any Departmental opinions being offered as such delicate negotiations were ongoing.

Even worse was the articles fixation with the Overtime issue,which is being portrayed as THE core problem.
    At least on this board it can be stated that OVERTIME is NOT the core issue,and I would echo the NBRU`s Michael Faherty when he states there are so MANY issues that its almost impossible to describe any single one as the Core.

What is the Department of Transport playing at here ?

Thus far it has avoided becoming enmeshed in the ongoing debate,which has been a feat of some note given that the entire dispute has been orchestrated by Minister Dempsey`s policy of reducing the company`s funding and thus pre-empting the disposal of vehicular assets and human resources in order to ensure that Bus Atha Cliath`s ongoing improvements in service did not translate into any greater level of Modal Shift from private cars.

It needs to be stated again and again that it is NOT in Minister Dempsey`s interests for either of the CIE Bus companies to become TOO successful at their allocated task,especially in the light of the December deadline for the signing of Public Service Obligation (PSO) contracts with the Government.

Minister Dempsey quite simply NEEDS more private cars to return to his shiny new PPP Toll Road network,cos if the numbers do`nt start climbing again then HIS Departments projections,upon which several Toll Concession contracts have ALREADY been signed will simply colapse.

This could result in some of the Private Sector participants becoming wary of making any further committments to PPP deals...and THAT would be very serious indeed for Mr Dempsey and a few other PPP devotees in Government.

It can thus be seen that one quick and relatively simple way to increase car useage is to ensure that Public Transport availibility is scaled back and on a National basis to ensure equitability.....for the investors that is !

The Labour Court and the LRC deliberations really do need involve the Department of Transport,who after all are the Policy Drivers of the CIE group and who`s actions thus far have been somewhat devious in nature.

However,as with most things in Irish Public Administration at the current time,it`s probably safer to assume a level of incompetence rather than have it confirmed and then be disappointed at learning of it !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rokz

considering it was himself that appointed Mr Potterton to the board of the National Roads Authority.Mr Potterton is a close friend to the Demsey family and also a business partner to his younger brother....Need i say more..!.Will he ever have to pay a toll..?

but I believe that Dublin Bus have agreed to continue to pay the Eastlink toll bridge charges for its employees commuting into work.

I never heard of DB paying Eastlink toll charges nor was it ever even mentioned in the LRC proposals. So I don't know how they can agree to continue paying something they haven't paid before.

Talks concluded just before lunch today, as far as i have heard there has not been too much change from the first Cost cutting plan.

Bogie staff loss of shift pay has been removed, that much i have had confirmed....

No way of knowing that till the court issues its recommendation all that happened yesterday was all sides gave their views to the labour court.

But if they are only taking a day to produce a recommendation it would suggest that it will not be radically different from the LRC propsal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm not very good at this computer stuff, but i've attached the union hand-out of the LRC recommendations issued today.

Looks like more of the same....

Reading tween the lines of Willie Noone`s statement to the meejia earlier,the SIPTU position this time around appears to be veering towards muted recommendation of the Labour Court document..

The reality is that Bus Atha Cliath management have effectively run rings around the trades unions due to their superior Media Handling and very definite strong guidance from the Department of Transport.

The appearance in the last few days of statements attributed to Dept of Transport "sources" has been a very unusual and,for me,worrying development in this situation.

The Minister and his Departmental Senior`s have succeeded in emasculating Bus Atha Cliath and Bus Eireann well in advance of the December deadline for the Public Service Obligation contracts.

The Labour Court recommendation is for sure not a very positive piece of work from a perspective of the State remaining involved in the provision of Sustainable Alternatives to Private Car useage.

However this much trumpeted "Green" Public Transport policy now appears to be in shreds as it is now rather obvious that Minister Dempsey must move to protect his contractual arrangements with the Toll Road developers.

The State simply cannot support any SIGNIFICANT transfers of commuters from Private Car to Public Bus/Coach services.....therefore Minister DEmpsey has acted swiftly and decisively to ensure that Public Transport availibility options are significantly reduced whilst giving the impression that only minor adjustments are afoot.

As far as Noel Dempsey and the Government are concerned,the most pressing need is to revive the flagging numbers of car borne commuters by any means possible.
    Even the current media flagging of yet another Car Scrappage scheme is clear enough indication of the Realpolitik of this Governments reliance on Private Motoring as a cash cow to keep us afloat.

This policy is Insane.

Not alone is it lunacy to divest oneself of almost 300 high capacity vehicles BUT the renewed threats to impose financial penalties on Ireland for its woeful Carbon Emissions figures will cost us dearly when retaining and funding the operation of these vehicles would serve to reduce this embarrassing figure.

The Flat Earth society of Kildare Street have won this particular battle.
    They have succeeded in pushing Public Bus and Coach transport back at least 20 years and it remains to be seen if that lost ground can ever be regained.....

But I suppose it is easier than ensuring that the likes of the Patton Flyer is complying with the Law......Now that WOULD be worth the Pay Rise which the Departmental Secretary Generals recieved earlier this year,just in time for the Depression :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Similarly I would have to say that integrating a maximum of TWO routes on a corridor is madness.....

This means that the 66/A/B and 67/A routes could be integrated together but the 25/A and 26 would have to be completely separate. This means the nonsense of buses departing together along the same corridor could continue for some considerable time to come.

• Advertisement

Correct KC61...and even better is how the new schedules so swiftly drafted by the company feature such "improvements" as,for example on the 11 Route several periods during the day when there is a 30 minute gap,then 2 departures scheduled to depart together ie: 11 & 11A,11 & 11B this double whammy is then followed by ANOTHER 30 Minute gap.

I`m also saddened by what appears to be a lack of understanding of what is ACTUALLY happening in terms of Customer Travel patterns.

The 11A (Wadelai Pk-Mather Road North) is being cancelled on Saturday/Sunday.
    However this particular subdivision of the 11 route has some of the newest high density apartment complexes in the area in addition to the constantly increasing use of the Roebuck Road entrance to the UCD residences by the Student Body and others.

I for one would have sought to maximise the presence of the 11A route by a heavy LOCALIZED campaign centred on the section between Foster Avenue and Bird Avenue,with what I believe would be very positive results.

However,it appears this is NOT how we do things and instead we shall probably have to await an expert or two to come along and tell us whats wrong....... :o

KC61 wrote: »
    Similarly I would have to say that integrating a maximum of TWO routes on a corridor is madness.....

This means that the 66/A/B and 67/A routes could be integrated together but the 25/A and 26 would have to be completely separate. This means the nonsense of buses departing together along the same corridor could continue for some considerable time to come.

I would not be so sure about that

It depends on what is a corridor and where the corridor starts the document does not specify so it could mean that the chapelizod road is a corridor.

The document is actually kind of gibberish on this
    operating from the same garage providing it operates along the same corridor and operating along the same common corridor.

It could just rule out say the 20B and the 16/A as they have little common operation.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is one that was in the Deloitte report, and that's that for most major corridors, the best practice of operation is to have integrated schedules among the major routes.

For example, on the Howth Road the 29A, 31/B, and 32/A/B would be integrated, on the Lucan corridor the 25/A, 26, 66/A/B, and 67/A would be integrated etc.

This means that all of the departures would be staggered in such a way as to minimise long gaps in departures and to minimise the incidence of two or three buses leaving simultaneously and then a long gap.

If the document is taken at face value I would fear that this will not happen. In my view this is essential if the bus service is to be taken seriously and to attract car users out of their vehicles!

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Correct KC61...and even better is how the new schedules so swiftly drafted by the company feature such "improvements" as,for example on the 11 Route several periods during the day when there is a 30 minute gap,then 2 departures scheduled to depart together ie: 11 & 11A,11 & 11B this double whammy is then followed by ANOTHER 30 Minute gap.

I truly hope that you're wrong Billy as that would be sheer madness, but given past performance it's par for the course.

No this has nothing to do with integration of timetables it is only concerned with maximizing driving time. For example it's to allow the company to include a route with a shorter running time into the bill for another route.
    Say your 25 and 26 if the 26 had a 30 minute running time compared to a say the 25 had 45 minutes they have a duty with 40 minutes spare they incorporate a journey on the 26 route.

I guess the point that I'm trying to make is one that was in the Deloitte report, and that's that for most major corridors, the best practice of operation is to have integrated schedules among the major routes.

For example, on the Howth Road the 29A, 31/B, and 32/A/B would be integrated, on the Lucan corridor the 25/A, 26, 66/A/B, and 67/A would be integrated etc.

This means that all of the departures would be staggered in such a way as to minimise long gaps in departures and to minimise the incidence of two or three buses leaving simultaneously and then a long gap.

If the document is taken at face value I would fear that this will not happen. In my view this is essential if the bus service is to be taken seriously and to attract car users out of their vehicles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

shltter wrote: »
    I never heard of DB paying Eastlink toll charges nor was it ever even mentioned in the LRC proposals. So I don't know how they can agree to continue paying something they haven't paid before.

As I can't find a source for the newspaper I read it, I'll retract my statement.

No this has nothing to do with integration of timetables it is only concerned with maximizing driving time. For example it's to allow the company to include a route with a shorter running time into the bill for another route.
    Say your 25 and 26 if the 26 had a 30 minute running time compared to a say the 25 had 45 minutes they have a duty with 40 minutes spare they incorporate a journey on the 26 route.

I think integrating timetables on a "corridor" would require the boards (driver and bus rosters) of all the integrated routes to be merged together. How else could you work it?

In order to deliver an integrated schedule you would need a mix of short and long routes to meet the restrictions on driver working time and maximise their driving hours.

There are two elements here:
    1) Delivering a consistent quality product to the customer
    2) Maximising driving time

The two are inter-related.

I think integrating timetables on a "corridor" would require the boards (driver and bus rosters) of all the integrated routes to be merged together. How else could you work it?

In order to deliver an integrated schedule you would need a mix of short and long routes to meet the restrictions on driver working time and maximise their driving hours.

There are two elements here:
    1) Delivering a consistent quality product to the customer
    2) Maximising driving time

The two are inter-related.

Not related to this

This is only interested in maximising driving time you can integrate timetables without having them on the same schedule.

What you are talking about is for example ensuring as far as possible that buses on a corridor are evenly spaced and not bunched together. The reason this does not happen now is nothing to do with routes being on a different schedule it is because the people who pass for schedulers in DB have little or no idea how to do the job properly.

Even where a route has 2 different termini they fail miserably to take account of this for example the 16/a instead of scheduling so that buses don't meet as the 16 emerges onto the swords road they schedule on a 10/15 minute frequency so a bus leaves the airport and and 10/15 minutes later one leave santry just in time for them to parade in convoy to Rathfarnham.

The simple fact is that they don't know how to schedule and they never look at the other routes sharing a corridor and that has nothing to do with this measure this is purely to allow them to bring up average driving times by including a journey or two from a shorter route thats all.

As I can't find a source for the newspaper I read it, I'll retract my statement.

There was an issue a few years ago about a small number of drivers that had to use the westlink when they were moved to Harristown, I have no idea what happened there but it forms no part of the current discussion as you can read from the labour court document published here.

• Advertisement

There was an issue a few years ago about a small number of drivers that had to use the westlink when they were moved to Harristown, I have no idea what happened there but it forms no part of the current discussion as you can read from the labour court document published here.

I think d`Peoples Voice has prob read an account of how the Labour Court recognises that the Judgement it gave in relation to the Haristown Dispute remains in force irrespective of the present judgement.

Part of the original judgement involved a temporary arrangement to fund staff then forced to travel to H/town via the WestLink.
    However this was ALWAYS accepted as a temporary measure and has already lapsed under the current agreement.

Truth never stands in the way of Good Fiction....:)

The big question is how will it all end..?

The big question is how will it all end..?

In tears,I suspect...... :(

There may well be just a little glimmer of sanity starting to appear in this appallingly mishandled farce.

As it currently stands the Labour Court Recommendation,in itself something a Jesuit might delight in,might have the right amount of compromise needed to swing an acceptance.

With the NBRU membership meeting on Monday we may have by then some idea of whether the Company is prepared to embrace reality in the same manner as it is asking it`s workforce to do.

One of the remaining core issues is the continuing presence of the large amount of new schedules (bills) which,if we are to believe the Company,are ready for implimentation immediately.

However,as of the 2nd of April,the company assured the NBRU by letter that it would engage with the Unions as per the current schedule draughting rules up to and including the Independent Schedules Tribunal (Whose decision is Binding).

If the company withdraw the mass-alteration programme and agree to proceed with a somewhat more reasoned approach to the issue then I would think many of the marked-in staff would have to consider their position.

The entire Stage-Managed disaster really has allowed the MInister for Transport and the Government to side step what should be some serious questioning as to its credibility and its responsibility towards the 290 staff who are threatened with redundancy (Voluntary or otherwise).

We still do not have any adequate explanation for the Government`s abandonment of a core plank of its Sustainable Transport Initiative at a time when the Country faces yet more pressure on its Carbon Emissions reduction strategy.

There are also serious questions as to the Minister for Transport having a conflicting Dual Mandate by which he expects to act in the best interests of the States Public Transport Company AND ITS CUSTOMERS whilst coincedentally presiding over major PPP Toll Road schemes,the success of which depend on maintaining a level of PRIVATE Car usage over and above the current norm.

I,for one,would like to see some intrepid investigative journalist pull at this very obvious conflict of interest thread to see what might unravel.... :rolleyes:

There may well be just a little glimmer of sanity starting to appear in this appallingly mishandled farce.

As it currently stands the Labour Court Recommendation,in itself something a Jesuit might delight in,might have the right amount of compromise needed to swing an acceptance.

With the NBRU membership meeting on Monday we may have by then some idea of whether the Company is prepared to embrace reality in the same manner as it is asking it`s workforce to do.

One of the remaining core issues is the continuing presence of the large amount of new schedules (bills) which,if we are to believe the Company,are ready for implimentation immediately.

However,as of the 2nd of April,the company assured the NBRU by letter that it would engage with the Unions as per the current schedule draughting rules up to and including the Independent Schedules Tribunal (Whose decision is Binding).

If the company withdraw the mass-alteration programme and agree to proceed with a somewhat more reasoned approach to the issue then I would think many of the marked-in staff would have to consider their position.

The entire Stage-Managed disaster really has allowed the MInister for Transport and the Government to side step what should be some serious questioning as to its credibility and its responsibility towards the 290 staff who are threatened with redundancy (Voluntary or otherwise).

We still do not have any adequate explanation for the Government`s abandonment of a core plank of its Sustainable Transport Initiative at a time when the Country faces yet more pressure on its Carbon Emissions reduction strategy.

There are also serious questions as to the Minister for Transport having a conflicting Dual Mandate by which he expects to act in the best interests of the States Public Transport Company AND ITS CUSTOMERS whilst coincedentally presiding over major PPP Toll Road schemes,the success of which depend on maintaining a level of PRIVATE Car usage over and above the current norm.

I,for one,would like to see some intrepid investigative journalist pull at this very obvious conflict of interest thread to see what might unravel.... :rolleyes:

Difficult to see how all these schedules can be processed in the normal agreed manner and the company remove 120 buses by the 26th of this month.

They can't remove buses till they have a bill to replace the current one.

Wish you the best of luck if you are willing to forward your comments onto the media..I have endevoured to express my comments by contacting Noel Dempsey.But sadly his reply was..
    " Dear Dave,

I wish to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail dated 10th February 2009 regarding previous correspondence to you.

A further reply will issue to you as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Dear Dave

I refer again to your e-mail regarding Dublin Bus.

I wish to advise you that the matter you have raised is a human resources issue for Dublin Bus and not one in which I have any role.

Yours sincerely

I feel you have hit the nail right on the head regarding his policies....As for the media ..i have also sent them a letter. but failing to add your conflict of interest point......nice one
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement

I wish to advise you that the matter you have raised is a human resources issue for Dublin Bus and not one in which I have any role.

And that,Dear Dave,elequently sums up the Ministers position on the matter,however it is NOT an accurate statement and esssentially preserves the age old Political dictat of "If you don`t ask me the right questions,I wont give U the relevant answers"

This situation is TOTALLY of the Ministers making ....100%.
    It has caught Bus Atha Cliath Management as much by surprise as it has the Staff.
    However bith the Minister and Dr John Lynch (Chairman of CIE) would appear to have other issues which merit their attention.

Hi ALEK
    Well the wheels are truly in motion now.It is so sad. how naive the general public are.!
    Why is this..? ..I believe they are controlled by the media.and the media is controlled by the government.
    http://www.politics.ie/media/22462-rte-investigative-journalism-stymied-government-censors.html
    and what a winning combination.So how on earth can all this disception and corruption be exposed...?.I have even sent e mails to the opposition parties with no avail.So my conclusion is. we are sarrounded by a huge population of death,blind and fearfull sheep.

could that be a triple mandate...considering it's obligation towards c02...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

from what i've been told bus drivers are holding a ballot today to accept or reject the labour court recommendations.

From The Irish Times today:

Dublin Bus management warns against any further concessions
    MARTIN WALL, Industry Correspondent

MANAGEMENT AT Dublin Bus has warned trade unions that the industrial relations process over a controversial cost-containment plan has reached the end of the road and that no further concessions are possible.

The results of ballots of drivers at Dublin Bus, who are members of Siptu and the National Bus and Rail Union, on compromise proposals drawn up by the Labour Court last week will be known today.

There have been suggestions in recent days that these settlement terms may be rejected by drivers.

In a letter to the two unions yesterday, the company said it had accepted the Labour Court’s recommendation and that given its current serious financial position, it had to implement the cost-containment plan from this Sunday.

In the letter to the unions, the company’s human resources manager Gerry Maguire said: “Given that we are at the end of the line in as far as the industrial relations machinery is concerned, and with no more concessions possible by the company, rejection of the proposals would mean a lot of hardship on our customers and indeed will also create financial hardship for the staff in the event of a dispute occurring.”

“In this regard, I would urge your offices to impress on staff that the Labour Court recommendation is as much as can be accepted from a company’s point of view,” he said.

Dublin Bus said it was available for meetings “to deal with any issues relating to the documents and its implementation between now and Sunday next”.

In its settlement proposals, the Labour Court said Dublin Bus could go ahead without delay with plans to take 120 buses from its fleet. However it also proposed that weekend overtime earning potential for drivers be increased.

It also said that there should be no dilution of current shift pay arrangements.

However it proposed changes to current paid meal break arrangements for drivers which the company believes could generate about €350,000 in savings.

Dublin Bus is seeking to implement new cost-saving measures in a bid to address a potential €31 million deficit this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

In a letter to the two unions yesterday, the company said it had accepted the Labour Court’s recommendation and that given its current serious financial position, it had to implement the cost-containment plan from this Sunday.

Surely less than a week's notice to passengers is not acceptable. If the company plans to take 120 buses off the road this week, they should at least explain to passengers how this will affect them. From what we have heard, this is not a simple timetable change which normally gets posted on the Dublin Bus website on a Friday afternoon before a weekend change. These changes will affect a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

rokz wrote: »
    "
    Dear Dave

I refer again to your e-mail regarding Dublin Bus.

Yours sincerely

You should mail him back and ask him what directly elected person is responsible for the bus services in Dublin which are funded by your taxes.

I have a deal of sympathy for the position Gerry Maguire and his management team now find themselves in as they attempt to satisfy a Political Master who has "Gone Native".

It is now becoming ever clearer that Minister Noel Dempsey is deeply embedded in a turgid mess which has little to do with facilitating or improving Public Transport Services which WILL be needed to a far greater degree than most admit to now.

The Minister has presided over a very recent situation whereby he and his Department effectively abdicated their responsibilities in relation to the CIE Road Passenger companies by requiring the companies to accquire EXTRA vehicles and ADDITIONAL Staff to meet the NDP and Transport21 Public Transport targets.

Left to their own devices neither of the companies would have embarked upon such an expansion in that time-frame.

The situation today will I believe be a very close-run result as the wages-grade workforce are not in a particularly co-operative frame of mind.

This mindset has not been helped by recent examples of Rushes-of-Blood to the heads of several senior Supervisory Figures who,in what COULD be taken as a display of self-preserving panic,have embarked on crusades of Discipline to rival the best Sergeant Major our Defence Forces might have.

These displays,usually carried out from concealed positions or from the comfort of a well positioned Staff-Car have thus far been directed 100% at Staff Discipline issues.

Garages themselves are choc-a-bloc with clean-cut managerial grades,each with a new and VERY important task,usually revolving around the generation of yet another paper mountain.

However,out on the streets,the REAL issues go ignored with Customer Information,when present,either poorly presented or downright incorrect.
    Route Information appearing on wrong stops.
    No route information at all.
    No Stops at all.
    Total refusal to even so much as acknowledge serious and long running safety issues with many strategic Stop and Termini locations.

And always....a total inability of the SAME senior supervisory grade to respond to assistance calls when Fare Evasion or Passenger Behavious issues are occuring.

Drivers and even Controllers are left to cobble together rersponses to the daily run of the mill stuff,which usually ensures that these "Issues" remain unaddressed and eventually become reasons for the Company to lose yet another regular fare-paying passenger as they become fed-up with having to tolerate nonsensical anti-social behaviour from the SIZEABLE numbers who now have free reign on our services.

MinsD is absolutely correct,One Weeks notice is NOT sufficient,however that`s not going to happen because there is NO notice planned at all.

Individual Garages have displays of new schedules which are in the main so full of errata as to be meaningless.

Yet the core issue remains unaddressed...The withdrawal of the 120 Buses.

This represents Noel Dempsey`s "Fight to the Death" instructions to the Management teams of the CIE companies.

Quite why the Minister for Transport wishes to abrogate his responsibilities towards sustainable public transport is another matter,but conjecture points us in the direction of some VERY serious funding problems,even irregularities,in the NRA`s flagship PPP Toll Road schemes.

However in this instance Minister Dempsey has prevailed and has certainly availed himself of some seriously effective PR advice......which should buy him some time at least.

However,mark my words markpb,this entire sordid event will return to haunt Minister Dempsey and one or two of his advisors..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭dub_commuter

The latest management spin is now out:
    Given that we are at the end of the line in as far as the industrial relations machinery is concerned, and with no more concessions possible by the company, rejection of the proposals would mean a lot of hardship on our customers and indeed will also create financial hardship for the staff in the event of a dispute occurring

Isn't that so nice of them standing up for their customers and wanting to protect their interests. I mean, they're always done there very best for them and put them first and would never do anything to create them hassle.

And look at those big bad drivers, actually daring to stand up for taking 120 buses off the road, which DB seem to constantly be getting away from, and seem to be making this row to be about the greedy drivers, and the media are more interested in reporting this then about the scandalous route cuts that will happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hear this got rejected by less than 30 votes in both unions,they are having a re count now.

Rejected by a margin of just over one per cent... Heard there were 6 votes in it. Will get confirmation soon tho

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyauojidgbgb/

and there will be a ballot held for strike action this week now as the mandate for previous strike action has run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

and there will be a ballot held for strike action this week now as the mandate for previous strike action has run out.

NBRU confirmed at their meeting yesterday that mandate still valid for strike.

Well the SIPTU one is not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

So what will happen if members vote against industrial action ? Will the companies' original proposals be implemented on Sunday ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement