Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIMBER FLOORS IN KITCHEN

Options
  • 05-03-2009 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I was just wondering would it be ok to put timber floors in the kitchen. We are building a new house and were thinking of putting timber floors in the kitchen/diningroom area. The floors will be good quality engineered board. Thank you all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Rawhead wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was just wondering would it be ok to put timber floors in the kitchen. We are building a new house and were thinking of putting timber floors in the kitchen/diningroom area. The floors will be good quality engineered board. Thank you all.

It can lead to disaster if your washing machine and dishwasher are in the same area. Givin time they will leak.

you would be taking a chance. Water damage to semi soild floors makes them buckle and expand . They never really come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

IMO they would look beautiful - but I don't think that they would be practical in the kitchen area, spillages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

2 years in house with 2 young children with solid oak in kitchen. No problem with general spills. Unless you have underfloor heating children are unlikely to play on tiled floors.

Note I do have a water alarm fitted under sink. Dishwasher has an electric water stop and the washing machine is not in the kitchen.

Another note I fully fitted floor and put sheets of 9mm mdf under kitchen units so that there are no point loads on the floor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Thanks for the advice. The washing machine etc. will be in sepaerate utility room. The idea is walnut floors with a ivory kitchen. I'm only after reading that walnut marks very easy. Anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭osnoyl

yea it is a beautiful floor but very hard to keep from scratching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Walnut - I have that in the hallways and yes it does scratch and depending on the light that scratch/dent will show up. Living rooms seem to work best with the wallnut.

Advertisement