Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for servicing a car???

• 05-03-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just need to get a bit of work done on the car for the nct and looking for the best place in town to go that would do shocks,service and brakes without screwing me over- this rules out advance and extreme autos:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Tony Byrne up behind Geoffs on Newgate Street, good mechanic who won't rip you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

pj oshea 1 dominics place , great mechanic and a good guy also , he says it the way it is .

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭fowlerDgrowler

i buy my cars from martin barretts skodas on catherine street and get them serviced there everytime. good mechanics and have never ripped me off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

daftdave wrote: »
    pj oshea 1 dominics place , great mechanic and a good guy also , he says it the way it is .

No way, mr Bonmahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

My whole family go to Damien Carew. He used to be in Parliament Street, just by Mason's. He's moved since though.

He's been recommended to me by a number of other people I work with too.

Haven't heard a bad word said about him. And I've found his rates very reasonable.

<snip no mobiles please> if you're looking for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

all me family bring their cars to james mylett. Great job and cheap as chips. He is in deise valeting down by the mansion house.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Derek Carey is very good and very reasonable, i always bring my car to him

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

Sorry lads i forgot i add an address, its Thomas st and his number is 877968.

j walsh wrote: »
    Sorry lads i forgot i add an address, its Thomas st and his number is 877968.

as far as i know u aint allowed to post phone numbers on boards , i could be wrong though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Just need to get a bit of work done on the car for the nct and looking for the best place in town to go that would do shocks,service and brakes without screwing me over- this rules out advance and extreme autos:pac:
    why does it rule out advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

daftdave, business numbers are grand.

ah ok , i was thinking there was some kind of stipulation there somewhere !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

lollypop41 wrote: »
    why does it rule out advance

Judging by my experiences in the past ive come to find Advance to be severly overpriced for there experience and extremely rude if you ask questions about your car! Not what i want to be dealing with at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Another recommendation for Tony Byrne , best honest and thorough service I've found from a number of mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 35 travellers

i buy my cars from martin barretts skodas on catherine street and get them serviced there everytime. good mechanics and have never ripped me off!!

I also got my car serviced there for the fist time last month and I'm going back there again for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Anon0000

It seems i owe an apology to Xtreme autos - By no one elses fault but my own i got xtreme mixed up with a place in the same area which im not going to name for fear of it coming back and biting me in the ass. Although ive never been to xtreme autos ive heard nothing but good things from here and might actually consider bringing my car up here

Apologies Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

Sorry pal im not picking on you in particular its just a coincidence that i saw an add in the paper for these for a full service and they listed all what they did

for €150
    Tyre check (yawn)
    Doors oiled (Zzzz)
    Oil changed
    Oil filter change
    window washer check(?????) do they not even refil it?
    Wiper check??? what
    And the rest of the add were all just check check

Basicly all they did for 150 euro was change oil and oil filter!Seriously its in the back of that free waterford paper! the people is it?

For 150 that is rip off

nkay1985 wrote: »
    My whole family go to Damien Carew. He used to be in Parliament Street, just by Mason's. He's moved since though.

He's been recommended to me by a number of other people I work with too.

Haven't heard a bad word said about him. And I've found his rates very reasonable.

<snip no mobiles please> if you're looking for him.

We had this thread not so long ago i did it:cool: anywho i heard about damien carew would you believe i had to go to him as the garage i had my car with hadnt got the tools to complete the job they started(PM me for name)

So i went to damien to get it done and gave the bill to the other mechanic hes down by witches lane its the lane down there near meadow bank and behind That VW garage dont want to use his name! ha ha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anon0000 wrote: »
    It seems i owe an apology to Xtreme autos - By no one elses fault but my own i got xtreme mixed up with a place in the same area which im not going to name for fear of it coming back and biting me in the ass. Although ive never been to xtreme autos ive heard nothing but good things from here and might actually consider bringing my car up here

Apologies Again

Assume they weren't happy? :P
    Multivan wrote: »
    Sorry pal im not picking on you in particular its just a coincidence that i saw an add in the paper for these for a full service and they listed all what they did

for €150
    Tyre check (yawn)
    Doors oiled (Zzzz)
    Oil changed
    Oil filter change

window washer check(?????) do they not even refil it?
    Wiper check??? what
    And the rest of the add were all just check check

Basicly all they did for 150 euro was change oil and oil filter!Seriously its in the back of that free waterford paper! the people is it?

For 150 that is rip off

Seems a bit steep alright. Some of the other checks are important but if all was okay then €150 seems pricey.

Sully wrote: »
    Assume they weren't happy? :P

Seems a bit steep alright. Some of the other checks are important but if all was okay then €150 seems pricey.

Sully who of us cant check and do most of the checks that they describe really? in this day and age we should be able to know if theres oil leaking by regularly checking it we can do that and the water sprayer how hard is it to grease the doors they arent really checks theyre just what they add in to beef it up a bit so its not just an oil change and filter change it is rip off and weve been having it here for too long,

Of course we need to get the cars checked but theres a fas night course running and youd be able to learn much more than all that for a similar fee! how much does oil to fil a car cost for a garage and the filter???

Id urge all car owners to buy a haynes manual and learn how to do a service its not that difficult i admit there other things that do require mechanics but ye get me drift im sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That type of "service" is pretty common, but usually free.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

advance are a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bluestripe

Multivan wrote: »
    We had this thread not so long ago i did it:cool: anywho i heard about damien carew would you believe i had to go to him as the garage i had my car with hadnt got the tools to complete the job they started(PM me for name)

So i went to damien to get it done and gave the bill to the other mechanic hes down by witches lane its the lane down there near meadow bank and behind That VW garage dont want to use his name! ha ha
    I'd also recommend Damien Carew - have used him for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Madigans garage in ballygunner i always found the lads to be very knowledgable when it comes to mechanics these are the best in the business:cool:

Advertisement