Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Web Etiquette

• 05-03-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm putting together a website for my uncle, taking my time as I dont want it to be pure rubbish that looks like it was drawn with a crayon and pinned together with thumb tacks

anyway its a site for property management/letting in a seaside resort.
    I'm just wondering what the etiquette is in relation to posting links to a local restaurant sites or a B&B etc.

Do you mail them all prior to adding the link and ask them to add one for you on their site?
    Or do you just add it because they should be glad of the extra advertising and possible business?

Sorry if this is a silly question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The ten principles listed by the Computer Ethics Institute.

1 Thou shalt not use a computer to harm other people.

2 Thou shalt not interfere with other people’s computer work.

3 Thou shalt not snoop around in other people’s computer files.

4 Thou shalt not use a computer to steal.

5 Thou shalt not use a computer to bear false witness.

6 Thou shalt not copy or use proprietary software for which you have not
    paid.

7 Thou shalt not use other people’s computer resources without
    authorisation or proper compensation.

8 Thou shalt not appropriate other people’s intellectual output.

9 Thou shalt think about the social consequences of the program you are
    writing or the system you are designing.

10 Thou shalt always use a computer in ways that ensure consideration and respect for your fellow humans

Check if your breaking any and then decide

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

hmmmm
    i'd say i might be fracturing 1 or a few of those :rolleyes:

mesage understood, i'll send a few mails
    thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

8ofSpades wrote: »
    Or do you just add it because they should be glad of the extra advertising and possible business?
    Definitely.

None of EKRIUQ's list (which I've never seen before btw) compromise publishing a link. Why any business would want their public web address removed when promoting their business I do not know...

Link away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

They should be glad of the free publicity and increaced traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well I take a more measured approach here. I think all round it's politer to ask and enquire as to the possibility of a reciprocal link. Never any harm to be friendly. A bit of personal contact may also get you a better quality link too from the point of SEO - one that's not just part of a list on a links page but one from a page on the other site that has relevant content.

Finally, the networking may come in useful for other projects in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Whenever I see "reciprocal link" in an email to me, I just think it's someone spamming to get their site ranked higher and will ignore it.

If you're recommending the restaurant, then I would see absolutely no problem with just putting a link up. If you want to be sure, just send them an email and tell them you have linked to them, but will remove it if they want. Let them get back to you, in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well the days when there was real benefit to be had by having lists of reciprocal links on link/resources pages are well and truly gone - even though some of my clients have insisted on it despite being told they are worthless from an SEO point of view and not much use to visitors in most cases either, Therefore I can understand your approach Eoin.

However, as anyone who has done any quality link building will tell you, incoming links are not easy to come by for many sites, so to just disregard opportunities full stop seems inadvisable to me. There may be some way the link offered may be of benefit and workable, say by offering a link in a relevant way back from another site under your care.

I agree one should be careful how one approaches other webmasters about this kind of thing - a generic link request email generally won't cut much ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

thanks everyone for your input

All very valid points, I'm thinking now of maybe adding a page for local/resources and putting together a small 'pic,paragraph & link' on some of the better

Then send them a mail, as per eoin, and if they would like it removed then thats fine.

Helps my customer get a feel of whats on offer and gives them a better indication than just a hyperlink

Is this what you were getting at as well blueforg when you say it requires more than just a generic link?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

If you want to do really well have your uncle phone them up and ask. Emails can be ignored or go into spam. Nothing smacks of genuine consideration like a courtesy call.

It's very unlikely they'll have a problem with it, and it will help build a good relationship.

Advertisement